Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

13 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I saw that, but it said "recommended piercing plan". I have the part and it's really hard to measure. It could probably work with a slightly thicker PCB. I am thinking Kerry used these connectors and perhaps he used a > 1.57mm board and can provide some insight.

I like these connectors.  I've only used the vertical with 1.6mm boards, but there was plenty of extra length and I would typically need to trim them.

I like these connectors.  I've only used the vertical with 1.6mm boards, but there was plenty of extra length and I would typically need to trim them.

Thanks Kerry - how thick would you venture?
You have some interesting projects going on!

Always looking for prototypers :) I am working on an ultra low distortion all SMD buffer, probably have a layout done in a day or so.

The potentiometers are continuously variable pots, whereas the attenuators are stepped attenuators and made up of fixed resistors, with a fixed number of steps, so a fixed jump between steps (2dB on many of them). Other examples of stepped attenuators would be Dact, Goldmund, etc. These probably track better, but the fixed number of steps could be a problem depending upon the volumes selected, and so on.

3 hours ago, Pars said:

The potentiometers are continuously variable pots, whereas the attenuators are stepped attenuators and made up of fixed resistors, with a fixed number of steps, so a fixed jump between steps (2dB on many of them). Other examples of stepped attenuators would be Dact, Goldmund, etc. These probably track better, but the fixed number of steps could be a problem depending upon the volumes selected, and so on.

That's not what I was talking about, I think. TKD list stepped variable attenuators and variable attenuators as separate items. I noticed that they have CP600 listed in both the variable attenuators and variable potentiometers. I thought it was the same item at first but looking at the data sheet they appear different.

http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/att/pdf/cp600as-e.pdf

http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/pot/pdf/cp600ps-e.pdf

I had another quick dumb question. Looking at a lot of the LED lit power switches, the LED's have a 12VDC rating. Since most of these are meant for things like car applications where they're running at 14-15VDC anyway, is there any reason not to just let it run a little overvolted off a 15V PSU straight?

1 hour ago, Tinkerer said:

I had another quick dumb question. Looking at a lot of the LED lit power switches, the LED's have a 12VDC rating. Since most of these are meant for things like car applications where they're running at 14-15VDC anyway, is there any reason not to just let it run a little overvolted off a 15V PSU straight?

or a simple circuit with a trimmer/transistor and a couple of resistors and you can dial in the brightness...not much to it...

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations guys. It's a good point about the brightness. I almost forgot how blinding they can be depending on the manufacturer and color. Looks like I have everything in my parts box already but an LM317 to make a variable one, and they're cheap. I always like a fifty cent solution.