Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

1 hour ago, n_maher said:

Did you try 4.39mm? ;) 

Yep, didn’t see any 5-conductor barrels.

29 minutes ago, Pars said:

Use a 5 pin XLR and ignore the Sony bullshit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually that was the original plan. Then I was going to make adapter cables for 4-pin XLR, 2x 3-pin XLR and 6.35mm TRS. However since there are actually headphones that use pentaconn, I figure I can just use that instead.

54 minutes ago, vortaku said:

So I may have overlooked it or something. But I can not find pcbs listed online for order for the dynalo. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There’s no real store that has the PCBs. You either need to make them yourself from gerber files or wait for a group buy. You can probably check the ‘for sale’ forum here.

1 hour ago, vortaku said:

So I may have overlooked it or something. But I can not find pcbs listed online for order for the dynalo. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

To my knowledge the original Dynalo PCB is obsolete. I bought mine from AMB and they ran out of it long time ago. 

I have never seen a published Gerber file of the original Dynalo. I would love to have another board or two myself if possible.

I worked withDan Gardner quite a bit on this around this time, doing edits for the build guide, etc. I've never seen board files or gerbers for these, and I am pretty sure that Kevin doesn't have them either.
Dan hasn't been active on these forums for a long time.
Either we could contact him or I could possibly do a layout. I may still have a couple of boards but would need to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cspirou said:

There’s no real store that has the PCBs. You either need to make them yourself from gerber files or wait for a group buy. You can probably check the ‘for sale’ forum here.

I guess I will wait to get access to the for sale section and hope i can get in on a group buy. I don't neccesarily want the original dynalo, would be more then happy with an upgraded upto date board to build.

4 hours ago, mwl168 said:

Find them Chris!!! My CFP boards for your Dynalo board :lol:

I'd go for that Michael, but took a look and don't have any more blanks. I do have a built-up one with Roederstein resistors, all devices socketed with Mill-Max pin sockets. That one has some sentimental value to me :)

The original transistors that I had (have) weren't that bad between N and P.

37151110303_7c7334d8ca_z.jpg

I do have a pair of original Dynahi boards, as well as around 5 of the original Dynahi PSUs. Also, a couple of cetoole discrete I/V boards, some amb and KG protection boards (with my mods), etc.  Oh, and a pair of DynaFET boards :o

To vortaku: I would recommend using the modern SS layout, using current parts. Many of the parts for the original are somewhat unobtanium (Toshiba 2SJ74 2SK170 JFETs). You can get equivalent parts from Linear Systems, but the original transistors (2SA1015 / 2SC1815) aren't easily obtained.

Edited by Pars

15 minutes ago, Pars said:

To vortaku: I would recommend using the modern SS layout, using current parts. Many of the parts for the original are somewhat unobtanium (Toshiba 2SJ74 2SK170 JFETs). You can get equivalent parts from Linear Systems, but the original transistors (2SA1015 / 2SC1815) aren't easily obtained.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will have to get my hands on a ss layout pcb set

3 hours ago, Pars said:

37151110303_7c7334d8ca_z.jpg

I do have a pair of original Dynahi boards, as well as around 5 of the original Dynahi PSUs. Also, a couple of cetoole discrete I/V boards, some amb and KG protection boards (with my mods), etc.  Oh, and a pair of DynaFET boards :o

Thanks for checking Chris. 

That is a beautiful Dynalo built.

What sands does the DynaFET use? Does it use obsolete parts? 

Thanks Michael... yes, I rather like that one.

As for the Dynafet, yes it uses obsolete parts, some of which you could work around:

2SJ109/2SK389 dual (sub linear systems LSJ74/LSK170 x2)

2SA1349/2SC3381 dual (sub 2SA970/2SC2240 if you can find them; not sure what else would be a good sub)

2SA1145/2SC2705 (possible sub 2SA1370/2SC3467). Don't know if the SS thru-hole transistors would be a good replacement, and would have to check pinout

And the FETs. These were designed to use the Renesas 2SJ76-79 and 2SK213-216 (mine uses 2SJ77/2SK214). You can still get the J79/K216 I think, but they need to be matched (closer the better). The FETs that Amb uses for the Sigma22 will work (pinout needs checking) and apparently are much less cranky than the Renesas parts. In the Dynafet thread, I had also posted some links to threads on diyaudio listing possible replacements as well.

This might not be something you would want to play with, as you probably saw all the mods I had to do to get mine to work. This has been the only amp of mine that I have been listening to though.

I might be interested in your pair of CFA (CFP?) boards anyway, so shoot me a pm if you want to part with them.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris for the great summary of the Dynafet information. It does look like more than I can handle at this time.

I don't know if CFA or CFP is proper name for it. It's a current feedback amp and the boards stated so as well. But the Gerber file name says "CFP".

I'll send you a PM about the CFA boards

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, justin said:

s-l1600.jpg

I already bought this pair, coming from Taiwan, hasn't arrived yet but thinking they're fake?

Look at the 'rubbed off' silkscreen in the "in" of Westinghouse. Identical on both tubes. plus no original box. 

Similar text bleed and errors on both. The silkscreens look like they were made from a second or third generation photocopy. 

My guess is they are relabeled and fake.