Replacing Caps?

Les_Garten

I have some gear that I've had a long time and have not fired them up in a long time.

2 Adcom GFA-555s

1 Pair Martin Logan Monoliths

They are all around 20+ years old. The amps have spent some time in the garage in South FL.

Should I just recap the cross-overs in the spkrs and the amps? I'm afraid to power them up. The woofers need the surrounds rebuilt anyhow.

Just worried that firing them up would take out the boards if the caps were bad.

I think I know the answer but thought I would ask anyhow.

I did a search and found a company that mods/services the Adcom GFA55II. I have no association nor any idea if their work is good or expensive, here is the link: Big Sky Audio, LLP - Service, Repair, Restoration, Audio Upgrading, Modification of Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifiers, and Shortwave Radio in Helena, MT

I did a search and found a company that mods/services the Adcom GFA55II. I have no association nor any idea if their work is good or expensive, here is the link: Big Sky Audio, LLP - Service, Repair, Restoration, Audio Upgrading, Modification of Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifiers, and Shortwave Radio in Helena, MT

Thanx Miguel, very interesting!

Recapping 'lytics of that age is never a bad idea anyways.

yeah, in theory... however, recapping a piece of gear can go horribly wrong. I've seen people try to remove 'ltyics without the access of the bottom of the PCB (well, people other than Mikhail, believe it or not) and scorched solder mask, the whole nine yards :)

yeah, in theory... however, recapping a piece of gear can go horribly wrong. I've seen people try to remove 'ltyics without the access of the bottom of the PCB (well, people other than Mikhail, believe it or not) and scorched solder mask, the whole nine yards :)

I think we can probably agree that proper replacement of old electrolytic caps=good, dumbass modders=bad. :)