The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The SR-303, 404, SC-1 and 4070 all use the same driver but the 303 uses the older PC-OCC cable and the SC1 is cryo treated. While all of the Lambdas look alike the drivers are very different and there are some subtle differences. I wouldn't do this mod with anything less then a SR-404

The glue I use I found at some local store and they have no idea where it's from. It's not marked in any way but I bought up everything they had so I have enough for some time. The glue with the yellow backing that I used to mount the damping material is also good and you should be able to find it at a local crafts store.

One thing that you need to know is that this is far from easy and you need to be able to do repairs to the drivers as it is guaranteed that you'll rip a dustcover (or two) or even rip one driver apart. Working with electrostatic drivers takes a lot of practice and there is no room for error. One slip and you can throw the driver in the garbage. I'm not trying to discourage you but you should know the risks involved.

Where do I order a $100 O2 Arc assembly? I wants it ;D

Ask EIFL or Yama's. Just so you know there are no forks to attach to a housing due to the different design of the SR-007. What is included is just the two metal arcs, headband and the plastic pieces that hold it to the base plate on each side.

Coolies, I've never seen a pic of dismantled O2s so I don't know how it all connects together but I'm sure I can get a mounting plate made by Front Panel Express for the drivers to go in and attach to the arc.

Here is a pic:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1779&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=37af7365500adcff9c53c7c439831aae

Having something made wouldn't be too hard but simply buying the 4070 arc would be even better.

Hey Stax fans-

Got my SRD-7mk2 hooked up, listening to my normal bias lambdas now. damn these cans are still amazing, even after a few weeks listening to the OII. eventually these cans will get "discovered", and prices will increase. for now they are a stone cold bargain. Glad I'm on Team Stats in '08! :prettyprincess:

This is one of my favorite albums on the Lambdas so far. It's Comus - First Utterance, a psychedelic folk album from the 1970s. The Lambdas are delicate, yet have incredible slam when the music kicks into high gear. And they are incredibly resolving of all the small detail. I imagine it sounds even better on the SR-007.

First three tracks here, download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0TYKZXE4

800px-Comus_1971.jpg

Sorry all, I can't bear to go through all the pages right now. Here's my situation. Every time I go to a meet, I end up loving the Stax phones. The O2 is among my favorites, but way WAY out of my price range. That said, what would be a recommended sweet spot to enter the Stax lineup?

I'm no authority Vincent, but the Lambda Signatures with and SRM-1 or better yet a 006t or 007t is a great combo. I bought a Lambda Pro, the SRM-1 and the ED-1 "equalizer" for $1000 or 1100.

Sorry all, I can't bear to go through all the pages right now. Here's my situation. Every time I go to a meet, I end up loving the Stax phones. The O2 is among my favorites, but way WAY out of my price range. That said, what would be a recommended sweet spot to enter the Stax lineup?

It's tough to recommend just one combo but a SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp with either a SR-Lambda or SR-Lambda Signature makes for a very good combo.