The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

So you are going to skip a 10$ bias supply and go for a 1k$ amp instead?? I like it!!! ;D It should be a fine match but the SR-Lambda loves the extra power the BH can give them though the GES should be quite nice with some MKP coupling caps.

That bias supply isn't looking so bad right now :kitty:

Just curious if I was looking to move away from a bias box/power amp, would the first Gilmore designed all tube amp be a good match with the SR-Lambda? I decided that I don't really want two bias supplies in the Blue Hawaii, especially if I'd never be using the Lambdas in that setup.

Instead using the Lambdas in an alternative setup (office, bedroom?)

why two bias supplies? why not either a single adjustable supply, or one supply plus a dropping resistor?

Ok, bitch time.

I wrote to Yamas to ask about price and availability of O2 Arcs and they told me to go to my local Stax dealer (there isn't one) or provide them with the serial # of the O2 unit I want the part for ???

They're really pissy about grey imports apparently and don't want to sell part for anything that wasn't sold through official channels. I've told them it's to patch up my SR-X so we'll see how petty they are about it.

I may have to try Japan directly but suspect they'll tell me to go to Yamas. I hate BS like this, it's a fucking headband! Pricks. :rant:

Ok, bitch time.

I wrote to Yamas to ask about price and availability of O2 Arcs and they told me to go to my local Stax dealer (there isn't one) or provide them with the serial # of the O2 unit I want the part for ???

They're really pissy about grey imports apparently and don't want to sell part for anything that wasn't sold through official channels. I've told them it's to patch up my SR-X so we'll see how petty they are about it.

I may have to try Japan directly but suspect they'll tell me to go to Yamas. I hate BS like this, it's a fucking headband! Pricks. :rant:

I got parts for a Japanese SR-007 without an serial number hassle. Just told him what I wanted after a few minutes of audiophile banter on the phone.

I asked for a FR graph of the new Omega II but they said it's not available :sadcat:

Update...

They wrote back and told me it's $200 + pp for the Arc with a 3 week wait! Spritzer lies, $100? pft... ;)

Argh....!!! I've been found out!!!.... :kitty:

Now go ask Koji at EIFL for a quote as well as Japan might be cheaper.

We're reading the same thread right? You see all the shit spritzer is getting in that thread?

After my first post in that thread I got PMs from people agreeing with me, that didn't want to post about it.

I've got some flak as well for being moderately sceptical, mostly via PM.

Given the delicate nature of the way that headphone is made and the problems that have been surfacing in such an early phase I'm skeptical about their long term durability.
Seems you don't have to worry that much about long term durability when quite a few of these thingies are defective after a few hours of use or right out of the box.

$1000 for the privilege of being a beta tester is probably not what most of the customers are looking for.I guess the FOTM craze is over.

Seems you don't have to worry that much about long term durability when quite a few of these thingies are defective after a few hours of use or right out of the box.

$1000 for the privilege of being a beta tester is probably not what most of the customers are looking for.I guess the FOTM craze is over.

It seems to have mostly died down now which is great. A FOTM train headed by those individuals can only end badly as they don't have a clue what is going in the drivers. I also question he wisdom of guy making the phones for the sudden change to a new coating material in the middle of production. From the description it sounds a lot like very clean carbon which is stupid to use with the range of todays options.