The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

LOL! Do you think they sound like shit though? I think deepak exaggerated a lil' bit, just a lil' ;)

It's unfortunate that you find the Lambda line uncomfortable. I actually find it more comfortable than a lot of other headphones I've used.

I bought the SR-404 with the SRM-313 more than a year ago. Considering the comfort issues, I would have sold them a long time ago if I didn't like the sound. I do think the Omega II is significantly better though. So is the HE90. ;D

I bought the SR-404 with the SRM-313 more than a year ago. Considering the comfort issues, I would have sold them a long time ago if I didn't like the sound. I do think the Omega II is significantly better though. So is the HE90. ;D

Up until that point I hadn't heard anything better than them. But I sold them because I picked up an AKG K1000.

I wish I was joking. I'd rather listen to the K701 main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1862&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=c6adad207b07730972dad48688768db4

I admittedly haven't extensively heard the K701 amped by a really good amp, but personally I did prefer the SR-404 over the K701. I actually upgraded from a measly K701/Hornet M or Headfive to a SR-404/006t about a year ago.

At the UK meet, I did get a chance to briefly listen to the K701 and an ALO-modded K701 amped by a host of decent amps (SP Extreme Platinum, GS-1, WooAudio 4, etc) and liked what I heard. There was no opportunity for direct comparisons though.

I wish I was joking. I'd rather listen to the K701 main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1862&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=c6adad207b07730972dad48688768db4

The K701 is actually my main headphone right now. :rofl:

I guess this just shows how different people are. I've tried headphones like the K501 (a little cold and hard sounding), HD650 (a little too dark), AD2000 (colored midrange), L3000 (just colored), Qualia (sounds metallic), etc, and I think I'd rather have the K701 or SR-404 sound.

Up until that point I hadn't heard anything better than them. But I sold them because I picked up an AKG K1000.

From what people say about the K1000, I think I would like the way it sounds. Unfortunately, the fit is even worse than the SR-404. In fact, the fit is so bad I can't even try them. :'(

Hmm?! What shape is your head? j/k! Even though I haven't had much experience with the K1000 (heard it at two meets), it is already one of my favourite headphones:D Still, I wouldn't sell my electrostats for a pair.

I'm glad to hear that, since we seem to have similar tastes.

My current plan is to try the esp-950 or save money for the Omega II. I'm not sure which one is the better idea, so I guess I'll just wait for a good deal on either of them.

As for my head, it's just too big, and my forehead is too wide.

I for one definitely don't think the SR-404 is crap, not even when compared to the SR-007. It's inferior but to say it's "shit" is over the top.

I have to side with Deepak on this. I think the SR-404 is crap in most systems. Heck, I've lived with one for over a year. I don't think that it's crap universally, and it did sound pretty good off the McAlister amp (much more punchy and focused), but that midrange coloration simply destroys their tone, and the somewhat diffuse and unfocused imaging doesn't help either. It has some very strong points (detail, nice deep bass and a very airy, articulate treble, wide-open soundstage with a great sense of air, and of course electrostatic speed), but they don't offset the whole sonic picture. Ultimately, the K340 off a cheap old tube amp sounded better, very similar in most respects but much more focused with a much better midrange, and that's a $400 in total system. Compared to an SR-404 off a SRM-007t or a McAlister... you draw your own conclusions.

I miss the planar sound quite a bit, and I'm hoping the SR-007 will be one heck of a lot better (or whatever 'stat I decide to go with).

I never had any comfort issues though. I think it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The only comfort issues are that it gets hot after a long listening session, and that the inner foam tends to make your ears itch. Still, it's better than the vice-like grip of the HD650, which somehow still doesn't prevent the headphones from sliding around and needing adjustment every few minutes.

I'm tempted to get an SR-Lambda to play around with. I already have the Dareds to drive it.

The 404 is a good headphone but it simply doesn't "gel" like the SR-Lambda and the original signature. The Nova Signature is far too dull and lifeless, the 404 a bit of a mixed bag and it's only with the 750$ SR-SC1 where things get better. Not a whole lot better but still a nice improvement.

I have to side with Deepak on this. I think the SR-404 is crap in most systems. Heck, I've lived with one for over a year. I don't think that it's crap universally, and it did sound pretty good off the McAlister amp (much more punchy and focused), but that midrange coloration simply destroys their tone, and the somewhat diffuse and unfocused imaging doesn't help either. It has some very strong points (detail, nice deep bass and a very airy, articulate treble, wide-open soundstage with a great sense of air, and of course electrostatic speed), but they don't offset the whole sonic picture. Ultimately, the K340 off a cheap old tube amp sounded better, very similar in most respects but much more focused with a much better midrange, and that's a $400 in total system. Compared to an SR-404 off a SRM-007t or a McAlister... you draw your own conclusions.

I miss the planar sound quite a bit, and I'm hoping the SR-007 will be one heck of a lot better (or whatever 'stat I decide to go with).

I never had any comfort issues though. I think it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The only comfort issues are that it gets hot after a long listening session, and that the inner foam tends to make your ears itch. Still, it's better than the vice-like grip of the HD650, which somehow still doesn't prevent the headphones from sliding around and needing adjustment every few minutes.

I'm tempted to get an SR-Lambda to play around with. I already have the Dareds to drive it.

I actually (mostly) agree with your description of the SR-404 sound, except I think the flaws are subtle enough that the SR-404 is still a very good headphone overall.

In comparison to the SR-404, every high end AT I've tried (W5000, AD2000, L3000) was more colored in the midrange IMO. I also thought that the Qualia had a more offensive tone than the SR-404. That said, I think I might be able to get used to the sound signature of these headphones as well if I get longer listening sessions with them. :-\

Oh well. All I'm saying is that every headphone has its flaws (though some have fewer flaws than the others). Different people choose to tolerate different flaws, and some people might even like a headphone more because of its flaws. I personally find the sound of the SR-404 very good overall.

I should probably shut up now considering the fact that I might sell my SR-404 soon.

I heard a McAlister driving some Stax phones at the NYC Meet. I liked the McAlister a lot.

I would like the sound of my amp a lot, except that it arrived damaged (I think) or is simply not properly designed. It clips during loud, dynamic passages like whoa, in both channels. It's immediate with the SR-404 and less immediate but still noticeable with the SR-003.

I have been too lazy to negotiate with Peter for it to get fixed. Peter doesn't seem to know the meaning of punctuality, and while he seems like a nice guy, talking to him has been a hassle. On top of that, the original amp he sent me was lost by Canada Post, so he sent another. I can only imagine the financial loss he took. This one was based on a slightly different circuit, which is why I'm more prone to thinking that there is something wrong with the design itself - but if you saw the build quality, you would easily imagine that something, somewhere, could have fallen off. The amp really is built down to a price.

Which is all a shame since it shows a lot of sonic potential. It's from a very different school sonically than the Stax amps; it doesn't try to be as neutral and transparent as possible, rather, it tries to be as vivid and engaging as possible. It's slightly bright, very dynamic, very focused, and has a massive, open soundstage. It gives up points in transparency to the SRM-007t but on the whole it would sound one heck of a lot better - if it worked.

Fixing it is definitely a possibility as far as driving the SR-007 goes, and I'll probably take up this route if transformer boxes fail, at least initially, before moving onto something else. I'm beginning to think that building a KGBH might be the best option. I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to DIY, but I could afford the components, and I certainly not that dumb that I can't learn this stuff in the process.

Maybe there's a DIY'er that could build one at the original Headamp price?

I actually (mostly) agree with your description of the SR-404 sound, except I think the flaws are subtle enough that the SR-404 is still a very good headphone overall.

In comparison to the SR-404, every high end AT I've tried (W5000, AD2000, L3000) was more colored in the midrange IMO. I also thought that the Qualia had a more offensive tone than the SR-404. That said, I think I might be able to get used to the sound signature of these headphones as well if I get longer listening sessions with them. :-\

Oh well. All I'm saying is that every headphone has its flaws (though some have fewer flaws than the others). Different people choose to tolerate different flaws, and some people might even like a headphone more because of its flaws. I personally find the sound of the SR-404 very good overall.

I should probably shut up now considering the fact that I might sell my SR-404 soon.

I value the midrange more than anything else in my systems, and anything with an offensively colored midrange is right out. Every headphone I've ever liked has shared one quality - a somewhat forward, lush, fluid, but very clear midrange (i.e. SR-003, K340, ES2, HD650 balanced, HE90). I like a warmish midrange coloration that comes from a slightly boosted lower midrange, but I can't stand a thin, brittle coloration that comes from a boosted upper midrange or a recessed lower midrange. That's why the SR-404 doesn't cut it for me.

P.S. hope this is all coherent. I'm smashed off my face.

I value the midrange more than anything else in my systems, and anything with an offensively colored midrange is right out. Every headphone I've ever liked has shared one quality - a somewhat forward, lush, fluid, but very clear midrange (i.e. SR-003, K340, ES2, HD650 balanced, HE90). I like a warmish midrange coloration that comes from a slightly boosted lower midrange, but I can't stand a thin, brittle coloration that comes from a boosted upper midrange or a recessed lower midrange. That's why the SR-404 doesn't cut it for me.

P.S. hope this is all coherent. I'm smashed off my face.

It all makes sense. Like I said, I think we are hearing (mostly) the same thing, we just have different preferences on what we like to hear.

Stax amp question: I might find myself in need of a normal bias Stax amp in the not to distant future. This amp will be used to power my SR-Lambda. An additional pro bias output is a plus, just for flexibility's sake. Price range is ~$500, but I'm not married to that price, and would like to hear all my options.

There's a nice list of discontinued amps on the Stax Earspeakers Wiki, but its hard to discern what the quality choices are in those amps.

Thanks!

Maybe there's a DIY'er that could build one at the original Headamp price?

I really doubt that it is possible as some parts are hard to find and the current sources need to be upgraded because of that.

Stax amp question: I might find myself in need of a normal bias Stax amp in the not to distant future. This amp will be used to power my SR-Lambda. An additional pro bias output is a plus, just for flexibility's sake. Price range is ~$500, but I'm not married to that price, and would like to hear all my options.

There's a nice list of discontinued amps on the Stax Earspeakers Wiki, but its hard to discern what the quality choices are in those amps.

Thanks!

The obvious choice is one of the many versions of the SRM-1 as almost all of them had a normal bias output. Then there is the T1's which can be found for about 500$ if you are really lucky. One of my favorite normal bias amps is the SRA-3S though they might need to be recapped due to age and the cramped chassis.

Yeah doubtful the Blue Hawaii will be as cheap as the original Headamp. I've been spec'ing mine and it's adding up to quite a bit.

The WooAudio GES might be the amp to get for best bang for the buck. Keep in mind I have never heard one.

I would like the sound of my amp a lot, except that it arrived damaged (I think) or is simply not properly designed. It clips during loud, dynamic passages like whoa, in both channels. It's immediate with the SR-404 and less immediate but still noticeable with the SR-003.

pabbi1 had similar problems with his McAlister.

The Blue Hawaii won't be cheap but I'm looking to keep mine under 6k$ all in all. It will however depend on how crazy the chassis will be and whether I use an RK50 or not.

What's a good price for that amp?

They can be found for 100$ (that's what the P.P. model sitting on my desk cost me ;D) but 250-400$ is the norm.

mmm I hope so. The SR-X normal doesn't quite cut it compared to the SR-5 pro and GP.

Binaural recordings do work better with the SR-X though.

*cough*

updated impressions: The SR-X doesn't suck anymore after a few hours of burn in :P the highs and lows have come out of hiding, and it is by far the most "solid" sounding electrostat I've heard. I really like the way it doesn't have any inherent headstage/soundstage of its own (in other words the soundstage is entirely dependent on the recording).

What kind of tape does stax use for attaching their earpads? If I can find the equivalent of that I'm going to use it to attach the SR-5's drivers to the enclosure

*cough*

updated impressions: The SR-X doesn't suck anymore after a few hours of burn in :P the highs and lows have come out of hiding, and it is by far the most "solid" sounding electrostat I've heard. I really like the way it doesn't have any inherent headstage/soundstage of its own (in other words the soundstage is entirely dependent on the recording).

What kind of tape does stax use for attaching their earpads? If I can find the equivalent of that I'm going to use it to attach the SR-5's drivers to the enclosure

They are monitor phones after all... :D

The need a sheet of double sided adhesive. There are many different kinds, Stax uses some eco friendly crap, and you just have to buy all you can find and test them. The stronger the adhesive, the better.