The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Damn, I think I've got the Stax bug. I've had my Lambda Signature for less than a week and I'm already looking at an amp upgrade. :D

I've come across a deal for a SRM-T1S amp, but I can't find much info about it, even on H-F. Do any of you have an opinion about this unit?

Lets be honest. Once our for northern lord of the Stax rules down his telpathic verdict from the Frozen Throne there will finally be some coherent and valuable thoughts on the differences in the O2 'n' O2New. ;)

I will certainly do my very best. I think it is time to rebias the BH in anticipation...

Where did you buy them? Is that what elusivedisc.com is selling?

Thanks

The SR-007A is the Japan only model so it's silver but otherwise it is the same as the SR-007MkII the elusivedisc.com is selling. This set was originally bought from EIFL a few weeks ago so they are nearly new.

Damn, I think I've got the Stax bug. I've had my Lambda Signature for less than a week and I'm already looking at an amp upgrade. :D

I've come across a deal for a SRM-T1S amp, but I can't find much info about it, even on H-F. Do any of you have an opinion about this unit?

The T1S is very similar to the original T1 amp but adds balanced input and an input switch. The sound very similar with the T1 more laid back and relaxed and the T1S and T1W a little more forward. It's a very small difference though. They sell for anything between 500-800$ depending on the market and condition.

I've had my Lambda Signature for a little less than a week and I have to say I've never been pleased by a headphone like that since I upgraded two years ago from iBuds to Sennheiser PX100. I've owned a bunch of dynamics since then (DT880, SR225, RS-1, HP-2, HD600, couple of IEMs) and tried some others at a meet (SR325, PS1, K1000, K240), some which I liked a lot. I have to admit I didn't try a lot of good dynamic headphone amps though, I've only had a Pimeta, a M^3, and a couple of portable amps (Mini^3, SuperMacro, SuperMini, Hornet).

With that said, I never got the same kind of enjoyment with dynamics that I have right now listening to the Stax.

Since headphones can't reproduce spatial effects like speakers, the most important thing I'm looking for is detail and resolution and it's exactly what I get with the Stax. I also like the airiness and soundstage that the Lambda Signature provides.

OK, this may not come up as the most useful post ever, but consider it as my Stax coming out. ;D

I've had my Lambda Signature for a little less than a week and I have to say I've never been pleased by a headphone like that since I upgraded two years ago from iBuds to Sennheiser PX100. I've owned a bunch of dynamics since then (DT880, SR225, RS-1, HP-2, HD600, couple of IEMs) and tried some others at a meet (SR325, PS1, K1000, K240), some which I liked a lot. I have to admit I didn't try a lot of good dynamic headphone amps though, I've only had a Pimeta, a M^3, and a couple of portable amps (Mini^3, SuperMacro, SuperMini, Hornet).

With that said, I never got the same kind of enjoyment with dynamics that I have right now listening to the Stax.

Since headphones can't reproduce spatial effects like speakers, the most important thing I'm looking for is detail and resolution and it's exactly what I get with the Stax. I also like the airiness and soundstage that the Lambda Signature provides.

OK, this may not come up as the most useful post ever, but consider it as my Stax coming out. ;D

I'm enjoying mine too:D

I haven't had/heard the SRM-1 mkII but by all accounts it's a fine amp. I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed. If you get an SR-Lambda with it they should make a fine combination. Mine sound great from a transformer and I'd hazard a guess the amp will perform at least as well and better in some respects.

I'd have bought one myself except that they always ended up costing more than I could spend. If you can grab one for a sane price I don't see you losing in any way. Even if you hated it you can easily recoup your cost.

How about the SRM-1 Mk2 normal bias with Lambdas?

It's the same as the early Pro model so they will sound the same. The only thing lacking is the Pro bias supply.

As you may be able to tell, I am a bit confused about the whole pro bias amp/normal bias phones thing. At least that's how I think I'm reading it. The Lambdas normal bias are generally preferred, but the pro bias amp is preferred for the combo? Can someone explain to me. I ain't bright.

The normal bias phones are preferred since they are cheaper and sound great, better in fact then the Lambda Pro's. This doesn't mean that the normal bias is universally preferable as the Lambda Signature (often called Pro Signature due to an error in the early instructions manuals) is the best Lambda design along with the SR-SC1 and both are Pro bias. I usually recommend an amp with both types of outputs so there is an upgrade path and the ability to drive every Stax headphone.

Woe is me. :(

I think one of my pro drivers is going on the fritz. I heard some static type crackling noised and some discharge sounds (like something was deflating) and the driver now audibly rattles if tapped or shaken. I think something inside has come loose.

It still plays and sounds pretty much like the other one though it fart crackles more now with varying air pressure than before. I think my new Stax Smegma will be short lived...

:sadcat:

I think one of my pro drivers is going on the fritz. I heard some static type crackling noised and some discharge sounds (like something was deflating) and the driver now audibly rattles if tapped or shaken. I think something inside has come loose.

It still plays and sounds pretty much like the other one though it fart crackles more now with varying air pressure than before. I think my new Stax Smegma will be short lived...

darn, no need for those cups then I guess. I can take them off your hands ......................... O0

I've had something similar happen in the past but it was due to some debris inside the driver. Just open it up and (beware of the + stator wire as they almost always break!!!) and blow all dust of the diaphragm with you mouth. It's worth a try as there isn't much to rattle inside it.

I've had something similar happen in the past but it was due to some debris inside the driver. Just open it up and (beware of the + stator wire as they almost always break!!!) and blow all dust of the diaphragm with you mouth. It's worth a try as there isn't much to rattle inside it.

This isn't some dust, this is some of the insides actually rattling about. Imagine if one of the stator plates was a bit lose, that's what it sounds like. It actually rattles if you give it a little shake or a tap with a finger.

This isn't some dust, this is some of the insides actually rattling about. Imagine if one of the stator plates was a bit lose, that's what it sounds like. It actually rattles if you give it a little shake or a tap with a finger.

The only thing that can easily rattle is the small metal plug used to connect the bias plug to the metal ring holding the diaphragm. If the stator was off by even a fraction of a millimeter then the channel imbalance would be severe.

Damned if I can figure out what it is, it sounds like a substantial piece of something in there but there's no imbalance and it still sounds great but now with added crackling and whistles. Oh well, I'll take a wait and see stance and hope it doesn't fail completely. Those drivers are expensive when you're broke!

Also, it's making occasional static-like crackles with the volume down and no music playing via a Big Joe amp and SRD-7 Mk2.

There is some debris in there!!!! ;) Try unplugging them and shorting out the plug and hear the sound disappear.

Damned if I can figure out what it is, it sounds like a substantial piece of something in there but there's no imbalance and it still sounds great but now with added crackling and whistles. Oh well, I'll take a wait and see stance and hope it doesn't fail completely. Those drivers are expensive when you're broke!

If you are getting sound then it isn't the bias pin and no channel imbalance means that the stators are still locked in place. A single particle of dust can cause the drivers to crazy things. I've watched a HE60 rattle and shake from oscillations of the diaphragm. It was like the vibration function in a cellphone and all caused by some dust.

I hope that the drivers aren't close to the woodworking as there isn't really a dustcover on the backside of the drivers.