The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'll double check later to see what I can find, however dust still wouldn't cause the driver assembly to sound like it's rattling about in it's housing ???

And no, these drivers are kept well away from the woodchipper ;D

Odds are you will never see it. You can try to view the diaphragm at an angle next to a strong light and watch for something that stands out in the reflection.

The driver assembly is the housing as the stators are attached directly to the plastic shell and the only other two bits are the small metal bit that connects the bias to the diaphragm and the diaphragm itself with the attached metal rings. With the housing shut tight there is nothing to rattle inside but the diaphragm can to some crazy shit when there is an intermittent short to one of the stators.

I have a similar problem with my SR-5 pro :( But the thing is I've already vacuum cleaned the drivers twice, and its a continuous static noise in my case. Balance et al are perfect, at the moment at least but the drivers were never in great condition in the first place :/

Anyway, I think the nickel film that connects to the diaphragm may need replacing. I'm thinking of using this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140222166435

I have a similar problem with my SR-5 pro :( But the thing is I've already vacuum cleaned the drivers twice, and its a continuous static noise in my case. Balance et al are perfect, at the moment at least but the drivers were never in great condition in the first place :/

Anyway, I think the nickel film that connects to the diaphragm may need replacing. I'm thinking of using this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140222166435

I would never vacuum clean the drivers but that is another matter. You risk tearing the diaphragm as mylar has great tensile strength but tears like a very thin sheet of paper.

The crackling comes from small arcs between the diaphragm and stator so the charge ring isn't really part of the problem but it's worth a shot to replace it with some wire and see what happens. I would look for some large piece of dust that is one of those 15% negatively charged and is stuck in one of the stators.

I would never vacuum clean the drivers but that is another matter. You risk tearing the diaphragm as mylar has great tensile strength but tears like a very thin sheet of paper.

The crackling comes from small arcs between the diaphragm and stator so the charge ring isn't really part of the problem but it's worth a shot to replace it with some wire and see what happens. I would look for some large piece of dust that is one of those 15% negatively charged and is stuck in one of the stators.

I always remove the membrane before vacuum cleaning my drivers, so thats not an issue. I don't think its dust, but I'll have another look.

Good news on my part, I've been running them all day at work with an SRD-6 and even though it's low bias they still sounded fucking amazing and the buzzing is gone for now. The speed and solidity is outstanding, probably partly due to the lightweight but very rigid enclosures and solid driver mounting. I'm hearing some outstanding speed and resolution. Bass all the way down to an easily audible 20Hz

:dance:

smegmaprofg4.jpg

The Smegma Pro lives!

Just been running them from the SRD-7MkII and it's been mindblowingly amazing. They pack a hefty wallop and rattle the ears. Yes they have as good an impact as nearly every phone I've heard less one or two. They are fast as lightening, clear as a bell with explosive dynamics and they go deeeeep. Fuck these are good! They beat everything I've heard to date including the K1000, HP-2, Leatherhead..

Fanfuckingtastic! :prettyprincess:

Thanks.

This is where you become a MOT and make your Smegma available to the general public.

Hehe, noooo I don't think so ;D

Brilliant Smeggy! Glad you're loving it.

Got any pictures showing us how its put together?

Sadly, no. It's a bit of a mess as the glue I was using expands and makes a hideous yucky sight. Sadly I didn't know it was going to do this and certainly wasn't expecting it. Oh well, live and learn. Thankfully the sound is amazing so that makes up for it.

you've heard of the Stax fart... now presenting.... the Stax lobotomy

Maybe I should market that, you know to secure my investment... :P

I always remove the membrane before vacuum cleaning my drivers, so thats not an issue. I don't think its dust, but I'll have another look.

The dust is almost always stuck to the membrane. Only dust and the charred remains of arced mylar make this sound but basically look for anything that is protruding close to the stators and will move once the high voltage hits.

The Smegma Pro lives!

Just been running them from the SRD-7MkII and it's been mindblowingly amazing. They pack a hefty wallop and rattle the ears. Yes they have as good an impact as nearly every phone I've heard less one or two. They are fast as lightening, clear as a bell with explosive dynamics and they go deeeeep. Fuck these are good! They beat everything I've heard to date including the K1000, HP-2, Leatherhead..

Fanfuckingtastic! :prettyprincess:

Very nice!! :) The Pro drivers are large step up from the normal bias units in impact and bass quantity.

One question though, how did you mount the cups to the headband?

Very nice!! :) The Pro drivers are large step up from the normal bias units in impact and bass quantity.

One question though, how did you mount the cups to the headband?

Honestly, it'd make you cringe it's so botched up :laugh:

I took some gamma forks and removed the plastic leaving the pins with steel spade ends, I cut a slot in the top of each cup and glued the spades in place at an angle so the pads meet at the base for a good fit. It's pretty ugly but effectove and very solid.

Honestly, it'd make you cringe it's so botched up :laugh:

I took some gamma forks and removed the plastic leaving the pins with steel spade ends, I cut a slot in the top of each cup and glued the spades in place at an angle so the pads meet at the base for a good fit. It's pretty ugly but effectove and very solid.

Very cringe worthy but if it works its all good. You could also do something similar to the SR-? arc where there is an additional plastic bit added to the bottom of the arc and the wire holder attached to it.

Hehe, noooo I don't think so ;D

fftt.. he doesn't even use Dynamat. If I was going to use something, I'd use bituman sheets. I've used these for speaker damping and they kick the crap outta any other damping sheets. They are quite heavy, so it would make the customers feel like they're getting more for their money.