The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I think I'm having a grounding problem with my SRM-Xh amp. It picks some hum from the AC line that I can hear equally in both channels and it disappears when I touch the amp or the cables. I suspect the problem is coming from the Stax amp because it never did that with any other amp.

I use a power strip, so I figured I could try plugging everything directly into the wall, but it didn't change a thing. The strip I'm using shares the power between computer, DAC, amp and the light on my desk. I tried unplugging everything but the DAC and the amp and leaving computer on battery power and it also didn't change a thing.

The only workaround is when I touch either the amp or the cable, the hum disappears.

If someone can help me with that, I'd appreciate it a lot, it's a really annoying problem. :-\

EDIT: I forgot to add that I can still hear the buzz through the headphones even when the amp is turned off...

I think I'm having a grounding problem with my SRM-Xh amp. It picks some hum from the AC line that I can hear equally in both channels and it disappears when I touch the amp or the cables. I suspect the problem is coming from the Stax amp because it never did that with any other amp.

I use a power strip, so I figured I could try plugging everything directly into the wall, but it didn't change a thing. The strip I'm using shares the power between computer, DAC, amp and the light on my desk. I tried unplugging everything but the DAC and the amp and leaving computer on battery power and it also didn't change a thing.

The only workaround is when I touch either the amp or the cable, the hum disappears.

If someone can help me with that, I'd appreciate it a lot, it's a really annoying problem. :-\

EDIT: I forgot to add that I can still hear the buzz through the headphones even when the amp is turned off...

Have you tried different interconnects and some other source? It could also be a loose connection on the pot that is shorting into the case.

Have you tried different interconnects and some other source? It could also be a loose connection on the pot that is shorting into the case.

Yes I've also tried that and it seems like the hum was less loud, but there was still a hum. Didn't try with different interconnects though because I only have one right now.

EDIT:

I just noticed that when the amp is plugged with absolutely no inputs, I can still hear the hum. So either my electric system is faulty or it's the amp...

Yes I've also tried that and it seems like the hum was less loud, but there was still a hum. Didn't try with different interconnects though because I only have one right now.

EDIT:

I just noticed that when the amp is plugged with absolutely no inputs, I can still hear the hum. So either my electric system is faulty or it's the amp...

It's most likely the amp. They are pretty easy to open up with only 4 screws on the bottom but sliding the shell off can be problematic due to the plastic sheet stuck to it.

I'd suspect the pot as they were a known issue with these amps but it could be a bad solder joint on the RCA sockets as well.

How can I verify that? Sorry I'm quite a noob in DIY...

It can be tough to see it but reflowing (heating it up so the solder melts and resets) the joint is an easy fix and won't harm anything. I would only do something like this after having tested the amp in a few different systems with different wiring, power supplies and in different parts of the house on separate breakers.

I would only do something like this after having tested the amp in a few different systems with different wiring, power supplies and in different parts of the house on separate breakers.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that before playing with the solder iron.

Ah so you won them!

The price went up in the last few minutes. I stopped bidding at 170$. Hope you like them. :)

Ah so you won them!

yeppers :P

The price went up in the last few minutes. I stopped bidding at 170$. Hope you like them. :)

thanks! I was prepared to pay up to $250 for them, so I'm rather happy about this result. I believe everyone was watching the other auction that ended shortly after that came with the SRD-7SB and that price did end a little high (probably rage bids from those who missed out on these ones)

So DHL finally got off their ass and delivered the SR-007A to me about an hour or so ago. First impressions are that I don't really like the new earpads as they are far too loose on the headphones. That would explain the total lack of a Stax fart though and the more enthusiastic bass response. They don't grip the head as well so an improvement for some but not for me. So me of the other tweaks are nice though as stronger elastic to hold the headband in place and the real leather used under the headband. A nice salute to the old SR-? which was clearly the inspiration for the earpads and the new cable entry. I like the new silver color and those that have seen pictures of my Blue Hawaii know why... ;)

Since the APL has a broken wire in the output stage and I still haven't received word on where it is supposed to go I'm listening to them out of my computer setup. That's for now a Corda Aria acting as a DAC feeding a SRM-1 Mk2 P.P amp with what ever music I have stored on my server, mp3, FLAC etc. Hardly cutting edge but it will have to do for now.

First impressions are of the bass mostly which is very much larger then life and has way too much presence. This is in part due to the amp used but the larger air cavity of the new earpads is the major culprit. There were complaints from many Mk1 owners that the earpads were not deep enough so Stax changed the sound spring inside the they are pushed further away from the base plate. There is some midrange coloration but I can't quite put my finger on it yet but the rest is all good so far.

If that impression remains beyond the first impression, I may have to track down the Mk1 if I ever get back into Stax.

When I press the earpieces closer to the head the bass is more controlled and like the Mk1 bass so there could be some tweaking involved here to tame the bass. It is impressive at first, similar to the HE90 bass in fact though not as bad, but gets tiring after a while.

There are plenty of Mk1's out there so finding one shouldn't be too hard.

With the Blue Hawaii and DAS-R1 still warming up the bass bloat is still there even though the bass is much better controlled. I'm going to try bending the arc a bit now to try and tame it.

Can you post some pics of the SR-007A and SR-007 in the same picture? I'm curious how the finish differs.

With the Blue Hawaii and DAS-R1 still warming up the bass bloat is still there even though the bass is much better controlled. I'm going to try bending the arc a bit now to try and tame it.

More bass than OII !? :o

I was personally hoping for a little less bass and a little more treble/upper-mids..

Can you post some pics of the SR-007A and SR-007 in the same picture? I'm curious how the finish differs.

Your wish is my command. :) The group shot is a little blurry but the other ones are quite good for my crappy lighting.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2577&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=32e8cdca946ae767510c8e7c5fb7b95d

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2582&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=32e8cdca946ae767510c8e7c5fb7b95d

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2587&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=32e8cdca946ae767510c8e7c5fb7b95d

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2592&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=32e8cdca946ae767510c8e7c5fb7b95d

I was personally hoping for a little less bass and a little more treble/upper-mids..

More bass presence yes but the Mk1 goes a bit deeper. It's been getting better as the BH warms up and now it doesn't bother me as much as before but the excess bloom is still there. As a point of reference I have tuned my SR-007 to have very little bass bloom compared to something like a Lambda but reach even deeper as a side effect. That may be coloring my opinions a bit but this is still a bass heavy headphone compared to the mk1.

You know, as much as I like the black/silver pattern of the Mk2, I'm still a sucker for the champagne gold/brown pattern of the Mk1.

Pictures don't really do it justice though but the SR-? is still the looker of the gang.

HPS-1. Their original stand, IIRC.

It is the HPS-1 and as you can see, two different versions of it. There are at least four individual ones but the changes are minor and the basic design is always the same.

I think my SR-007 Mk2 has about the same bass quantity as the SR-007 and a bit more brightness. I prefer the extra brightness, which brings the Mk2 closer to the SR-Omega and HE90.