The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

SRM1/MKII in the house tomorrow, along with a Lambda Pro to go with the Signatures. So from no Stax to lotsa Stax in no time flat. I look forward to posting impressions tomorrow.

Exciting times, I loves all my staxes. I get the distinct impression I'll end up totally planar at some point.

I've always been on team budget stax since my first >$100 headphone purchase :)

I keep telling myself that I don't have nearly enough amplification to justify dropping moolah on an O2, and I usually listen... until a pair appeared on YJ for 85000 yen BIN this morning :x

I really think it's the amp that makes or breaks the O2. Using the transformer it's anything but polite even at lower listening volume. I remember the same thing when I heard it with a KGSS.

The phones are simply bad running from something like the 007t though the familiar traits do shine on through the blandness.

Funnily enough, I want to try the Sigma Pro before the Omegas. The Sigmas are too wacky to ignore. :laugh:

Screw the Sigma Pro's and go for a SR-Sigma 404. If I manage to find a cheap Sigma and SR-303/404 I'll build one and send it on tour of the US.

SRM1/MKII in the house tomorrow, along with a Lambda Pro to go with the Signatures. So from no Stax to lotsa Stax in no time flat. I look forward to posting impressions tomorrow.

In da house. The amp is a little dinged up (fully disclosed in the auction), but the Lambda Pros are in as-new condition. The guy I bought them from has an audio store and they found the stuff during a move. Even the foam was fully intact. Until I touched it and it started to disintegrate. Does that say something about me or the phones?

Impressions to come...

In da house. The amp is a little dinged up (fully disclosed in the auction), but the Lambda Pros are in as-new condition. The guy I bought them from has an audio store and they found the stuff during a move. Even the foam was fully intact. Until I touched it and it started to disintegrate. Does that say something about me or the phones?

Impressions to come...

Congrats on the new amp and crumbly cans Vincent. If I don't sell it soon, maybe for fun I should send you the ED-1 EQ-type deal that pairs up with the SRM-1/MkII. Has an interesting effect on the sound. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Good thing it has a bypass switch!

Congrats on the new amp and crumbly cans Vincent. If I don't sell it soon, maybe for fun I should send you the ED-1 EQ-type deal that pairs up with the SRM-1/MkII. Has an interesting effect on the sound. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Good thing it has a bypass switch!

Could you open up the ED-1 and post some pics of the innards for us? We've been looking for the schematic but haven't been able to find it so it would be cool to see what Stax was doing.

Gang,

Need some help here. My Sigs are playing only out of the left channel. The amp is fine, tested with the Lambda Pros. Seller, who seems like an honest guy, said they were fine before I bought. He did remove the foam that had deteriorated before shipping. Is there anything I should check first before contacting the seller? I've never taken apart a Stax phone before.

Gang,

Need some help here. My Sigs are playing only out of the left channel. The amp is fine, tested with the Lambda Pros. Seller, who seems like an honest guy, said they were fine before I bought. He did remove the foam that had deteriorated before shipping. Is there anything I should check first before contacting the seller? I've never taken apart a Stax phone before.

Is this the first time you're hearing the Sigs or is this just happening with your new amp? (sorry I can't remember if you've tested the Sigs before or not)

Gang,

Check that. It IS the amp (SRM-1/MK-2). Worked fine for a while, but now it is pretty darn hot and the right channel is out with only an occasional faint buzzing. Advice appreciated.

Check that. It IS the amp (SRM-1/MK-2). Worked fine for a while, but now it is pretty darn hot and the right channel is out with only an occasional faint buzzing. Advice appreciated.

Sweet Lord Jesus am I stupid. I didn't realize the volume knob controlled the channels individually. :kitty:

Ok, plot thickens. I just switched reconnected the RCAs to the second input on the amp (Source is DAC1). And now it works fine. Any thoughts?

Sorry it is a hassle. Might want to open it up and check the connections on the first input. I have had broken wires on RCAs and it will work fine, then not, then a little because the connection is sometimes made.

Could you open up the ED-1 and post some pics of the innards for us? We've been looking for the schematic but haven't been able to find it so it would be cool to see what Stax was doing.

I could probably give it a shot.

Sorry it is a hassle. Might want to open it up and check the connections on the first input. I have had broken wires on RCAs and it will work fine, then not, then a little because the connection is sometimes made.

Yeah, good suggestion, will do. The box looks like it has been opened a few times before.

Anyone have any mod suggestions while I'm pokin' around in there? >:D