The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Got it, thanks guys.

One more thing: the Lambdas seem generally pretty sturdy, especially given how well they continue to perform after a decade or two. Are there any particularly fragile parts to be wary of, and just how sensitive are they to dust, especially when one considers that the foam disintegrates within 5 years generally?

Apparently not nearly as sensitive as the HE60 is to dust. I've had to open up my HE60 drivers twice because of dust issues. The mesh on the Lambdas seem to be more effective. That said, I would still follow Spritzer's advice and short the plugs when unplugged to avoid dust-attracting static build-up.

Hmm, you guys are way too gentle and altogether too technical regarding Lambda earpad foam. I just grabbed it between my fingers and tugged until it ripped out. Not too hard. No need to unscrew or unstick anything, it's just thin foam and comes out quite easily.

Brute force and ignorance FTW. >:D

Got it, thanks guys.

One more thing: the Lambdas seem generally pretty sturdy, especially given how well they continue to perform after a decade or two. Are there any particularly fragile parts to be wary of, and just how sensitive are they to dust, especially when one considers that the foam disintegrates within 5 years generally?

The forks (which hold the earpieces to on the arc) break a lot on the Lambdas and so to the arcs so just don't sit on them. ;D The drivers are pretty robust and dust is not much of an issue but some form of a dust cover is a good idea.

Now that I've spent some good 20 hours comparing the modded SR-007A to my old Mk1 I can say the are very close though not quite the same. The modded phone is slightly more forward and there is a slight remnant of the midrange "honk". The combination of these two makes voices seem slightly tilted upwards and certain notes are "off" but without the benefit of a direct comparison I'm not sure I would have noticed it.

Today is a rather warm day for Iceland (hovering around 20

Could the differences, post blu-tac, be down to the different pads then?

Could be the pads, the shell surrounding the drivers, depth of the ear chamber etc. The new pads are both taller and have more internal volume which will alter the sound. The midrange "issues" might be some form of reverb due to the new pads which is then amplified by the open port... ???

I actually have some comfort issues with the O2 MkII. The problem is that I usually listen while lying down, which means that the headphones don't have the weight of the cable to keep them planted firmly on my head. In the absense of that, the self-adjusting headband keeps pulling the headphones upwards and I have to re-adjust the fit fairly often.

I think the self-adjusting headband design is stupid, and they should go back to a simpler, SR-404 like design where you can adjust the tension and position of the headband yourself. I also like more clamping force in my headphones, with more pressure at the bottom of the earcup by the jawline rather than the top of the earcup by the temples.

But, if I were to listen sitting up then yes, it would be a very comfortable headphone.

The HD650 is ideal in terms of fit for me, but the velour earpads do slide around more than pleather ones. An HD650 with pleather or real leather eapads would be as comfortable as it gets for me.

Its not as though I'll be buying a Mk.2 anyway. Although I'll go for a new set of Mk.1 pads within the year. I have no comfort issues with them and I'll bet the Mk.2 pads are more expensive.

The Mk2 pads are more expensive at 8925Yen while the SR-007/SR-Ω pads cost 6300Yen. It also looks like Stax has changed the Lambda pads for 2008 and removed the interior foam and replaced it with the same material as lines the SR-007 pads. A bit slow to figure out the foam breaks down after only 29 years... :D

Here are the new pads:

STAXPAD.jpg

I actually have some comfort issues with the O2 MkII. The problem is that I usually listen while lying down, which means that the headphones don't have the weight of the cable to keep them planted firmly on my head. In the absense of that, the self-adjusting headband keeps pulling the headphones upwards and I have to re-adjust the fit fairly often.

I think the self-adjusting headband design is stupid, and they should go back to a simpler, SR-404 like design where you can adjust the tension and position of the headband yourself. I also like more clamping force in my headphones, with more pressure at the bottom of the earcup by the jawline rather than the top of the earcup by the temples.

But, if I were to listen sitting up then yes, it would be a very comfortable headphone.

The HD650 is ideal in terms of fit for me, but the velour earpads do slide around more than pleather ones. An HD650 with pleather or real leather eapads would be as comfortable as it gets for me.

Very simple solution to this, bend the arc so that they fit better or simply have the headband resting on your temple or slightly above it. Works like a charm for me.

:(

I like the foam. I demand a foam option!

Still, a set of lambda pads will only be needed if I ever get around to building a new housing for the AMT drivers.

According to the Official Stax price list the old pads are still available for between 1500-1900Yen while the new ones are just under 3000Yen.

It looks like I'm heading for the 'most retarded looking phones after the float' award. I made a couple of faux sigma prototypes and the best sounding is the dumbest looking. Really fugly! I still haven't figured out how to put a headband on them yet and they're only partly complete. Anyway, We Staxies aren't afraid of a little taunting and humiliation in out deranged quest for all that is electrostatic goodness.

Here's progress so far... I'm gonna feel like a total fucktard wearing these. :D

faux1wi6.jpg

faux2sb9.jpg

Actually, they look kinda cool to me :D

Can I ask you to build an enclosure for my HE60 drivers? XD

Heh, I think Steve is more the man for that kind of precision work, I'm more 'hack 'n' slash' and your drivers would be in dire straits with me :)

I think the wood work makes a statement and a nice one...Go for it. You may have a new headphone that you can sell for a premium. The next, do I dare I say it, "ALO?"

Ah, that's how to do it, start out with a sullied rep ;D

I think the only statement these make is that the owner doesn't mind looking like a dork. Still, if I get them done and headbanded I'll post a pic so you can all have a good chuckle.

Heh, I think Steve is more the man for that kind of precision work, I'm more 'hack 'n' slash' and your drivers would be in dire straits with me :)

Ah, that's how to do it, start out with a sullied rep ;D

I think the only statement these make is that the owner doesn't mind looking like a dork. Still, if I get them done and headbanded I'll post a pic so you can all have a good chuckle.

I guess I am a dock as well then...

They do look good in the deranged mind of a SR-Sigma fan. I would cover the side pieces with some felt and then the wool on top of that to combat any reflections. A Sigma arc would most likely fit here but finding one is tricky...

Btw. When are you going to make some Lambda woodies and send one set to me. :D I just bought a bunch of Lambdas to tinker with...

Whoa, those housings are impressive. Maybe K1000 :eek: drivers would work better?

I I also like more clamping force in my headphones, with more pressure at the bottom of the earcup by the jawline rather than the top of the earcup by the temples.

Bending the headbands changes clamping force as well as the angle of the earpads/housings. You can adjust the headbands so that there is more pressure at the bottom and less at the top.

But due to the design and the fixed, non-swiveling housings, there's a limit to the amount of adjustments one is able to make. Of course, other headphones have this limitation, but I think the O2 is one of the more sensitive in terms of the overall fit, clamping force, earpad shape, angle of housings, etc. affecting the sound.

Both the O2 and O2Mk2 fit very comfortably for me and I only needed to bend the headbands very slightly.

They do look good in the deranged mind of a SR-Sigma fan. I would cover the side pieces with some felt and then the wool on top of that to combat any reflections. A Sigma arc would most likely fit here but finding one is tricky...

Btw. When are you going to make some Lambda woodies and send one set to me. :D I just bought a bunch of Lambdas to tinker with...

Deranged is right. They look quite good sitting upright like mini desk speakers, turn them sideways and stick them to your head and it takes on a whole new look :D Thankfully, Ludo over on H-F sent me some busted K240s to use as SFI foster phones, and with them a very nice pad of thick and dense wool felt which is perfect for lining the insides, they sound pretty good with it in the wood housings. It's that stuff under the earpad in the pictures. I also have a busted set of Koss UR-20s which I've taken the strap/loop headband off, now I just need to make a mounting fixture to stick it together with the cups. Should work and be very comfy. :)

Lambda woodies? You mean the Wedge thingy on mine or something else?

have you worn the he60 before?

Nope, one of the few 'stats I haven't tried yet. Definitely on my list. I remember the HE90 fitting well but I was sitting down. Listening while lying down unfortunately puts a very different comfort demand on your headphones.

Very simple solution to this, bend the arc so that they fit better or simply have the headband resting on your temple or slightly above it. Works like a charm for me.

Bending the headbands changes clamping force as well as the angle of the earpads/housings. You can adjust the headbands so that there is more pressure at the bottom and less at the top.

But due to the design and the fixed, non-swiveling housings, there's a limit to the amount of adjustments one is able to make. Of course, other headphones have this limitation, but I think the O2 is one of the more sensitive in terms of the overall fit, clamping force, earpad shape, angle of housings, etc. affecting the sound.

Both the O2 and O2Mk2 fit very comfortably for me and I only needed to bend the headbands very slightly.

I'll try that. The headband looks like it can be bent without any issues. I've been somewhat reluctant to manhandle $2k phones but what the hell.