The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

You are indeed nuts but in a good way. :) I will be getting a SR-Ω with SR-007 drivers this week so it will be interesting to compare them. The SR-Ω drivers are also included so I can do an in depth analysis on what goes wrong and try and fix it.

Good luck! If somebody can fix those puppies, that would be you or Alex.

(on page 12 now, 88 to go!) :-\

Actually you are right. Even if there is no way to repair them, it will be great for a crafty man like you to have all those spare parts should your other SR-Omega ever needs them.

I finally went through all those 100 pages of posts. I hate long threads. Especially when they tell you that you missed a Stax SRM-T2 just one month ago, when you had the money for it and when you were window-shopping around for some audio gear.

This is so sad...:sadcat:

I have a question for you Stax addicts:

What's the difference between KGSS and KGSS DX?

There's a guy in NYC who wants to sell one, but it's around 2100$ which is quite a bit more than a standard KGSS and he prefers to deal face to face, which means 10 hours by car. I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Not bad... still kinda waffling on if I'm going to return to stats or not. This makes it all the more tempting but I still can't get entirely over how much I was not a fan of the sound I heard at the meet.

Not bad... still kinda waffling on if I'm going to return to stats or not. This makes it all the more tempting but I still can't get entirely over how much I was not a fan of the sound I heard at the meet.

Me too, in a different way. I've got HE90, and have no real use for OII, having already sold mine. However, my cursor was hovering over that BIN for several minutes while I agonized, and it hasn't sold yet, dammit.

What's with you folks? All the time and posting in this thread and you don't want an OII? The original version that sounds better (even if it's not as good as HE90)? You know you want it. Just buy the freaking thing, and get temptation out of my way. Please.

The original version that sounds better (even if it's not as good as HE90)?

Haha, good one... ;)

Eh I had an HE90 and sold it and don't really regret it! Elephas seems to enjoy it though ;p

Get an SR-Ω and nearly the bass of the SR-007 with a wider soundstage and a more "forgiving" sound. Once I heard the SR-Ω I knew that the He90's days were numbered as the Stax was more comfortable and sounded a whole lot better for when I wanted a different signature to the Sr-007.

The O2 can sound pretty darn un-impressive on a short listen. It takes a while for them to grow on you, and they're still in the process of doing that to me :P

In the meantime, the SR-5 pros are staying put...

To be fair, the pads on my O2 are utterly shot.

The pads are crucial to say the least. :eek: Too soft and the sound goes to shit.

Whatttt you are crazy ;p HE90s are the single most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. Unfortunately that was part of their terror. I was perpetually afraid they would just fall off my head as they felt like they barely were on there at well... yet I never had problems with "seal" or anything like that.

O2 mark 2s were not nearly as comfortable in comparison. Are the SR-Omegas more comfortable then those? then maybe I can see it.

Whatttt you are crazy ;p HE90s are the single most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. Unfortunately that was part of their terror. I was perpetually afraid they would just fall off my head as they felt like they barely were on there at well... yet I never had problems with "seal" or anything like that.

O2 mark 2s were not nearly as comfortable in comparison. Are the SR-Omegas more comfortable then those? then maybe I can see it.

They were far from comfortable for me. If you have a small head they are fine but I don't. :(

The SR-Ω has the Lambda Signature arc and headband with much larger ads then the SR-007. I can wear mine for hours on end.

Mmm, since it will be a while before I can afford to order new pads, do DIY fixes work? Say, stuffing the pads with some tissue paper? <_<

Try adding another level of foam on top of the old one to make the pads firmer. Could work...

Huh I don't by any means have a small head. But I guess mine isn't really large either. I have been able to fit all 3 sizes of Qualias on my head and medium which is my preferred size is considered too large for most people. Perhaps you are one of those rare people that large is the preferred size for ;p

But yeah I really liked the HE90s for how comfortable they were. Qualias pretty damn comfortable too but the leather can get sticky in hot weather.

R10s are good too.

Yes, that thread pretty much covers it all.

Ah... The KGSS DX Edition... Great memories. Justin did an excellent work overcoming all my space constrains, and the amp was showing all the quality standars and performance we came to expect from Justin.

I ended selling it. Because I was young and stupid by then. I know better now...

I must say I always found the HE90 extremely comfortable, if at the max extension for me. I have quite a big head. You could think it might have something to do with having a big brain and a superior mind and intelligence.

You would be wrong, though. :sadcat:

Yes, that thread pretty much covers it all.

Ah... The KGSS DX Edition... Great memories. Justin did an excellent work overcoming all my space constrains, and the amp was showing all the quality standars and performance we came to expect from Justin.

I ended selling it. Because I was young and stupid by then. I know better now...

How much did it cost originally?

How much did it cost originally?

I know I'm going to sound totally stupid but I have no idea. That was a few years ago and I couldn't find my email backups for that period of time. A couple of months ago I was looking for some other mails from the same period of time and I couldn't find the backup CD with them. I moved houses since and they sure got misplaced somewhere.

I can look a bit more just in case but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry for the bad news.