The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

A couple of posts ago, ASR asked about the 007t + 02 combo and some of you said the pairing is not so good. I'd like to add a follow up question to that if I may.

How about the SRM-T1 as an amp to drive the O2mk1? How does it compare to the 007t, 007tA, 717 and 727A ?

Would it be something like:

727A >>> 007tA > 717 >>> 007t >>>>>> T1 :confused:

The relatively big price differences between each of them makes it difficult for me to get a rough idea of which one is the better bang for the buck vs best sounding but not worth the $.

Am I right in assuming that the T1 is able to drive the O2mk1 nicely and can be used as a budget amp until one saves up enough for an aftermarket amp?

The T1 is ok as a budget amp for the Mk1 and I prefer it to the 007t.

SRA-14S If my memory serves me right? First time I've seen one on ebay.

Yup, it's a SRA-14S. There aren't that many out there but expect to see a hefty price paid for what is basically a SRM-1 Mk2 in a larger chassis and with more features. Very expensive new though... :eek:

OII MKII & SRM-1 MKII impressions

Just got the amp today to go with the headphones that I've had since July.

Disclaimer #1: this is the first time I've really been able to listen to the headphones, previously I only heard it with the Singlepower ES-1 (and WA GES prototype, and a Head-Fier's SRM-1 MKII) under meet conditions.

First, I have a problem with the amp. The left-side RCA inputs don't seem to work right - I only got sound out of the Left driver at first, then I realized the volume pot can be channel-calibrated which helped a bit but not really. No matter what I did I couldn't get channel balance between the drivers. Figured I'd try the other set of inputs which worked right away. Is this a known issue?

Disclaimer #2: As this is the first time I'm listening to the headphones, and the amp with them, I have no idea which to blame for any sonic issues.

That said, I'm not really overly impressed with this combo, as much as I was with these headphones off the Blue Hawaii SE. Now I don't know if the OII is susceptible to burn-in (and the pair I heard with the BHSE was Justin's), but I can't say it's a stellar combo. It sounds fine and makes music, and is pretty good at that, but not much beyond.

The closest dynamic equivalent to this combo I've heard is the Audio-Technica AD2000 on the HeadAmp AE-2 - which comes maybe half-way in some areas, not even close in others. I've read of bass complaints with the MKII and I'd have to agree - this bass isn't that good. The AD2000 has better grip and lower extension. It's certainly nice to hear some mid-bass boom & thud after a long time of owning headphones without that quality, but there's a reason I moved away from such headphones and I don't really appreciate the quality from the MKII.

From my starting impressions of the MKII with the SRM-1 MKII, it's a nice enough combo that'll hold me off until my BHSE arrives - but, not outstanding. It does sound "good" though - there's definitely an innate musicality, it's fast, and it doesn't really do anything fatally wrong with my favorite music.

I want the BHSE! :D

Btw, my source is the Plinius CD-101 (DACs: PCM1704).

I did like the Mk2 on its own, but it doesn't do well in comparison to the Mk1 and it certainly isn't worth a $2k price tag.

I think a better solution for the time being would be to ditch the Mk2 and get the Mk1. That will solve a lot of the bass issues. The Mk1 doesn't have the midbass boost, and it's also much more extended in the deep bass, going deeper in fact than anything I've heard. Now, the SRM-1 Mk2 probably isn't going to turn the O2 into a bass monster, and won't be able to control things as tightly as it should, but the BHSE will be another story. And as a plus, right now, you can still get the O2 Mk1 for less than the Mk2 costs, so you'll come out ahead monetarily. At least until the world catches on and Mk1 prices skyrocket, which, sure as I'm still single, they will do.

And, you'll get a much nicer midrange tone too. The Mk1 has probably the best midrange in the business. The Mk2 suffers from the same coloration as the SR-404, but to a lesser degree.

Edit: now that Stax have gone ahead and messed up the O2, what does that leave us with as the best in-production 'stat? The 4070? The ESP950? Certainly not any of the lower-tier Stax. Yet more reasons why I hope HEaudio gets it right.

Edit: now that Stax have gone ahead and messed up the O2, what does that leave us with as the best in-production 'stat? The 4070? The ESP950? Certainly not any of the lower-tier Stax. Yet more reasons why I hope HEaudio gets it right.

Can't say about ESP950, but SR-007A is probably still the best production electrostatic - I haven't compared them directly, but from memory it would beat 4070 for most music if you don't need isolation.

I kept listening last night after my post and I slowly ended up really liking the sound a few hours in. Sure there were some deficiencies to the sound but overall I started to really enjoy it. Amazing fluidity, a presentation that brought forth every layer, and a strikingly involving mid-range. I didn't feel the soundstage was too small (AD2000) or too large (K701), but rather a nice balance between. The more I listened, the more I came to think that there was a lot of potential to be gained from the MKII. It may be a step down from the MKI as spritzer and catscratch report but I think it sounds good on its own, so far. If the MKI is even better then I think I might want to try that one too.

Also, the SRM-1 MKII gets really hot. It felt about as hot as my previous Beta 22 did which is saying something!

asr please do a loaner program for your Plinius :-*

Haha...I'm not so sure I want to ship the Plinius again due to potential mechanical issues... :kitty:

O2 is extremely dependent on positioning and I had more difficulties than I expected so it took some time. It is not only turning the head cups to the correct angle - the pressure against head/ear is very important. Once I bent the arc too much, with too much pressure against the head, and sound deteriorated considerably. If it is too loose against the head then bass also becomes loose. This is with O2 Mk1 but I expect that positioning is equally important with Mk2.

I assume that SRM-1 is similar to 007t in the aspect of insufficient bass control and punch.

Hello chaps!

I'm a refugee from Head-Fi: ever since I changed my email address I've been locked out from posting, and I'm desperate to get connected again with fellow Stax-lovers from around the world (come in Iceland, Norway, Australia, etc.).

This post is nothing more than a quick 'hello', and I'll be back soon with something interesting (well, it is for me, at any rate!).

I definitely understand. Did you have to send it back over the Pacific for repair?

I was actually referring to when I took the CDP to a local meet some months ago and when I brought it back home, some kind of mechanical issue had developed with the transport. (Not sure if it was due to someone at the meet or transporting it.) I went in and DIY'd it myself and while it works fine now, I wouldn't want to chance it happening again by shipping it. It's built like a tank on the outside and all, but I don't think the CDP will ever be going outside again...unless I ever sell it, of course. ;)

It's built like a tank on the outside and all, but I don't think the CDP will ever be going outside again...unless I ever sell it, of course. ;)

Indeed I always wonder about the ridiculous 20kg, 10mm thick machined cases on audiophile equipment while they use (in some cases) computer transports etc, or pay little attention to internal vibration damping. "Being built like a tank" seems orthogonal to reliability (and in fact real tanks are a lot less reliable than cars).

Nice story 8)

I like my resently arrived SR-007 driven by T1S just fine, but I got to tell you they are not fun headphones, they don't impress you with some tap your toes groovyness.

I find them to be very accurate and polite with good extension, and a bit dark with my T1S. Still SR-007 sounds like an improvement of LNS sound signature that I really liked and seems to be one of the most accurate headphone around, hope you warm-up to them.

Johnny Blue,

I heard the Omega II MkI / SRM-717 combo for the first time last Saturday during the annual Head-Fi meet in Copenhagen, Denmark.

After having the usual "I-love-this-can't-put-these-down" feeling from listening to my balanced L3000s on an RPX-100 amp (the only balanced dynamic amp present at the meet), I decided that I wanted to try the STAX combo, which had been charging up for more than an hour.

Swapping in my own Stello DA220 MkII as source and a top-notch album (Hans Theessink - Slow Train), I sat down and waited in anticipation for what this combo could do.

I was very disappointed.

Of course, I had already been warned by both Mikhail and Todd that the amp would hold the Omega II back, and I was listening to it under regular meet conditions, so there was a fair amount of background noise present. Still, I felt it was a far cry from being the high-end headphone everyone keeps saying it is. It severely lacked dynamics and had little PRAT. In short, it seemed lifeless, perhaps even a bit veiled.

If anyone feels like shipping an amp to me that properly showcases the Omega II for what it really is, please don't hesitate to contact me. I would love to hear the true potential of this headphone, and this goes for the Omega II owner as well (who just can't afford a better amp at the moment).

We would both love to hear this.

Thanks (?!!) guys, I know about the after-market amps, but they seem so difficult to get hold of (especially here in the UK, as opposed to the US), and the consensus on Head-Fi was that the SRM-717 was up to the job, but perhaps I just read what I wanted to read.

It is interesting for me to read the above posts, feeling as I do now, and recognising that if I'd read them, say, 2 weeks ago, I'd have dismissed them as the ramblings of some sore losers, or people who were just plain envious. Now, I'm not so sure...

Johnny, it is hard to say what went wrong in your case. From my experience I can see a number of possibilities.

1. Don't like the type of sound. O2 is severely lacking in that it does not add prat, slam, romantic lushness etc. It is the best headphone that I own but I was a little surprised that I was not addicted to it and wanted to listen to it all night. I listen mostly to my O2 but even the 404 is in some sense more fun and relaxing.

2. It took me two weeks to find the correct position. I knew about positioning but thought that pressure against the ear was adequate and bending the arcs not necessary. I was wrong and after a slight bending and increased pressure it got more life (but too much pressure is not good either). O2 can loose up to 50 % of sound quality by bad positioning.

3. Insufficient power. I have only tried with 007t and 717 and 007t obviously has insufficient driving capability compared to 717. But I still experience the 717 as slightly insufficient. Not a big problem for me and I am happy with the 717. Imagining a more powerful amplifier the sound should have more impact and more life. However, I have not heard that yet.

4. Too revealing of the source is also a possibility.

5. Expectations. I don't think there is any "best headphone for all". This is often implicitly implied when talking about the best headphone. It is very difficult or impossible to communicate what is so good with the headphone that you think is best yourself, and others interpret the description differently - or expect magic because it is "the best".

The SR-007 like most of the best speakers ever made will not impress except you are craving neutrality above all else. That means that they aren't for everybody and why some prefer the SR-Omega and even... :eek:... the HE90. :D

Getting the correct fit is very important and since these phones were used it could be impossible due to old earpads that have gone soft. What I'd do first is to drive the 717 as a power amp from the Naim Pre. Open up the 717 and flip the switch located next to the volume pot to disable it.

Spritzer:

What about giving one of these amplifiers a go for the SR-007:

-innoxx audio- High voltage tube amplifier for esl (electrostatic loudspeakers)

Very interesting to say the least. Total utter overkill for the SR-007 but they could make a smaller version that works for us headphone lot.