The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

No, no, the O2Mk2 is not deserving of the cushion "throne." That's for my aching back. Since I received the ES-1 in two giant boxes and struggled to unpack it, I've been using the cushion as lower back support.

Have you played with the 3D21A output tubes on the ES-1 yet Elephas?

I've been playing with those 3D21 tubes and the adapters stored in your cardboard take-out box for about a year while waiting for the ES-1 to be modified. :(:rolleyes:;)

Yes, I've tried them and they work very well. They kind of made me wonder why I spent money on Mullard xf1 and xf2.

I've also tried GE Fat Boys and a set of Philips metal base briefly, but took them out to save them for the BHSE.

Up till now, I've only used the 2C51 adapters in the first gain stage, with WE 396A, Tung-Sol and Raytheon tubes.

In the second stage, I've tried several 6SN7, such as Sylvania VT-231, 6SN7WGT, 6SN7W, CBS and RCA 5692, Ken-Rad black glass, etc.

The ES-1 is a tube-rolling nightmare. I thought the Aristaeus was bad, with all those ECC83 and 5751 to try, but there's no comparison; the ES-1 is a bottomless pit of tube hell. :)

it's the source that really makes it an anonymous picture.

That audio rack has gotta be the crappiest one evar.

I'm joining team stax soon with the 2050A II. Pls correct me if you think this is not the right start. I listen to all genres of music including dreampop, new wave, alternative, etc... Jazz, Pop, and Classical and would want to start with a neutral stax which I've heard the 303/404 isn't as neutral as the 202 although more detailed

I'm joining team stax soon with the 2050A II. Pls correct me if you think this is not the right start. I listen to all genres of music including dreampop, new wave, alternative, etc... Jazz, Pop, and Classical and would want to start with a neutral stax which I've heard the 303/404 isn't as neutral as the 202 although more detailed

I've listened to the 202 only for a short time at a dealer and thought it sounded great and shared many similarities with the 404 and the Lambdas. For the price, it's awesome you can't do much better than this (other than used Stax). You'll want to try the Omega 2 sometimes in the future, that's a fact, but you'll certainly enjoy your purchase in the meantime.

How does the SRM-T1S compares to the current hybrid STAX amps? As I've figured out this is the best possible price/performance choice for me (and it has balanced inputs) but I am a bit worried about reliability issues. It has been listed with a Lambda Nova Signature, is it a good match for it(at least for a start)? Thanks.