The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Question on highs:

I have Spritzer-modded (by Spritzer) 007a's driven by a KGSS. I take a good CD, JVC xrcd re-master from 1957 master tape (Dvorak's New World, Reiner, Chicago -- very well known recording). On my dynamic rig (GS-1000s modded by Grado Labs, balanced using Stefan AudioArt Equinox, driven by fully balanced 4-channel Beta 22 built by Ying at YBM Audio with top components) you can clearly hear the tape hiss (in general I don't hear highs so great since I'm 60, but the hiss is clear!). However on the Stax it is gone. Gone! Much better listening.

Do the Grado's incorrectly inflate the highs (why would they at the tape hiss frequency?) or has Stax done something very clever with a deliberate roll-off to enhance the sonic experience?

It gets more confusing. I tried different HPs: HE60's (just re-built by Senn) on the KGSS (thanks Vcoheda for the adaptor!) and my manufaktur 600-ohm beyer 880's, just modded for balanced by Larry at Headphile on the Beta 22. With both I hear just a bit of tape hiss, the same on both, less than Grado, more than 007. ???

Then I tried the SACD re-master of the same -- forgot I had both, but I found it -- and this re-master drops the overall level of the tape hiss, but the same conclusions hold (although now the HE60 and 880s are enjoyable too, since the hiss is barely there).

But the 007 is the best listen, no question. To mark the contrast -- on modern CDs (pop, vocals) I hear no high freq difference between the GS-1000 and the 007s, and the GS-1000 (balanced, modded) hold their own against the Stax. That's why this experience with the Dvorak CD is so startling (to me, anyway).

Wise head-case folk and Stax fans, what is happening here?

Tape hiss usually means the engineer took very little liberty (or none) in using noise reduction tools. Usually this is a good thing since it leaves frequencies intact instead of chopping them off.

I'm able to hear tape hiss very clearly on my SR-007 MK1. And I usually seek out earlier versions of recordings that have it ;D

I was using the Airbow SR-SC1 yesterday, and the material of its earpads are suspiciously like the Mk1's.

The 4070's pads also seem to be the same as the SR-SC1's, which should actually be SR-404 pads. These are different from the black pads on the Lambda Pro, which are stiffer and harder material and in turn more similar to the SR-Omega dark brown pads.

The SR-404 and 4070 pads have similar texture and the same type of checkered pattern grain as the Mk1 pads.

I think the Mk1 pads are a slightly better quality version of the SR-404 and 4070 pads, and that all these pads are artificial leather.

The only Stax pads that are real leather seem to be the Mk2 pads.

I was using the Airbow SR-SC1 yesterday, and the material of its earpads are suspiciously like the Mk1's.

The 4070's pads also seem to be the same as the SR-SC1's, which should actually be SR-404 pads. These are different from the black pads on the Lambda Pro, which are stiffer and harder material and in turn more similar to the SR-Omega dark brown pads.

The SR-404 and 4070 pads have similar texture and the same type of checkered pattern grain as the Mk1 pads.

I think the Mk1 pads are a slightly better quality version of the SR-404 and 4070 pads, and that all these pads are artificial leather.

The only Stax pads that are real leather seem to be the Mk2 pads.

Now we finally have confirmation of what we have thought for a long time, Elephas is indeed sniffing glue!!! :o Finding that the SR-404 pads are the same as Mk1 pads... :palm: Buy a set of Mk1 pads, smell them and don't do drugs!!!

All of the Lambdas (except for the SR-202) use the same type of pads, featuring the same breathable faux leather. That includes the SR-303 (different color), SR-404, SR-SC1 and the 4070. It's a more advanced version of the material used on the Lambda Nova series which simply didn't stand the test of time and disintegrated. I have destroyed a few of these pads over the years (and the horrible sticky glue used to put them on) and the material has nothing in common with the leather on the Mk1. Cut open those 404 pads and check inside.

The SR-202 pads do use some variation of the material used on the original Lambdas. Now I have no idea what pads Larry used on your bastard L-Pro's :rolleyes: but they could just be normal SR-202 pads. The older Lambda pads are smoother with no texture and use a slightly thicker vinyl covering.

Now there is a third version of the Lambda pads but I've only seen one picture of it so I presume it is the prototype Stax used. They've been known to use final prototypes for picture ops (as they did with the SR-Omega with the different cable entries) but these pads were made like the Omega pads i.e. each part sown together and not stretching the vinyl over the foam. Should be very comfy...

Okay, after some research I found out that one of these test CDs were posted on the other forum a few years ago but then it was removed. Can somebody send it to me? Pleeease? :P

I'll try to get a different one from ebay so I may be able to give something in exchange. ;)

A picture tells a story. Not sure about SR-007 with KGSS but here is GS-1000 with probably a headroom amp, notice a huge peak at HF that starts at 4K in GS-1000. :P

Well that explains it. Probably everything: the HE60s and the 600/880s must have slight peaks there, and the 007 none. Or else the HE60s and 600/880s are flat and the 007 rolls off, as I first thought. Stereophile has made a big deal lately of freq resp graphs for HPs, but I didn't think such huge standout peaks or valleys would exist and be so audible -- this tape hiss sound is so clear on the Grado and just not there on the Stax.

Finding that the SR-404 pads are the same as Mk1 pads... :palm: Buy a set of Mk1 pads, smell them and don't do drugs!!!

Duuuude, you're the one who must be smoking or snorting something. The SR-404 and 4070 pads definitely resemble the Mk1 pads. Similar material, similar rubbery texture, similar checkered pattern, similar puke brown color.

But rest assured, I am going to buy a new set of Mk1 pads. Either from the local Stax dealer, AudioCubes2 $129 or Ippinkan $58.

the material has nothing in common with the leather on the Mk1.

They are definitely similar to the pleather Mk1 pads, but a bit crappier.

Cut open those 404 pads and check inside.

The only pads I'll cut are those crappy Mk1 pads.

Now I have no idea what pads Larry used on your bastard L-Pro's :rolleyes: but they could just be normal SR-202 pads. The older Lambda pads are smoother with no texture and use a slightly thicker vinyl covering.

The Headphile Lambda Pro's feelings are hurt!

They're the older Lambda pads, the smoother and thicker vinyl, black color. I also bought some Lambda pads from someone here, and they are the same type.

spritzer is too busy with leather research for moment. :)

The binaural recordings are very interesting as a demonstration of what is possible. They were released as a demo by Stax in Germany many years ago but are equally relevant for dynamic headphones.

I am uploading the binaural tracks and they will be availabe for downlod in steps as zip archicves. First out is Track 1 and 2 that are demos with speach (German and English), sounds and noice. Remaining tracks are music (two downloads). Unfortunately the track titles were slighly messed up in the orginal up/download and some German characters replaced. I am not shure if the last track is included in the orginal CD or an extra - track number is out of range.

Track 1 and 2:

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Because my T1S has the normal bias connector I am seriously thinking of trying a vintage Stax till my DAC arrives(and till then I will get a good mini-RCA cable to temporarily solve the problem).

I am thinking of the SR-X MKIII to be precise. How much they worth these days? I've found two of them on ebay but I don't know if any of them can be considered as a safe buy. Please share your experiences, thanks(comfort is not important at the moment).

They usually run for about 100-250$ depending on what they are bundled with and their condition. The earpads are still available so no worries there but the SR-X Mk3 has the annoying tendency to develop a channel imbalance so that's something to look for. The sound is great but these are monitor headphones so it's very clean and precise with a rolled off bass.