The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'm a long time music lover and audiophile. But I'm new to quality

headphones. I read through a lot of Stax stuff on the web but failed to resolve my problem. Maybe you folks can help.

I came into a Stax SRM-1/MK-2 Pro amplifier and a Stax SR Lambda Pro set of cans. Both are operating well, or so I think. They sound WAY better than my Little Dot Mk IV SE/Grado HP-2 combo.

The cans have seen a lot of use. They have some strap mechanical problems (which I failed to fix after 3 tries) and are missing some foam. I can get a new strap and foam for maybe $150.

But I can get a new set of cans (SR-202) for $380. This is a bit of a stretch to spend.

QUESTION 1: What's the best choice, fix or replace with the SR-202?

QUESTION 2: What's the best set of cans for my new (vintage) Stax amp?

Tnaks.

W.

In other news, people need to stop bidding up SR-3s to crazy amounts so I can get one for cheap and swap out the drivers. Damn, these Alpha Pro drivers have been sitting here with nothing to do for so long and it's making me crazy.>:(

Anyone have any ideas for other good donor frames?

Waaaaaaant.

Try looking for a donor SR-X frame. Dead SR-Xs are far more common in my experience, and I'm sure Carl still has one. (But he also has an NOS pair of alpha pro drivers...)

I want to avoid the SR-X frame as much as possible since there's a lot of complaints of discomfort due to the headband and the supraaural pads and I would prefer the comfiness of SR-3/5 pads. Otherwise I will definitely look to that as an option.

Where is Carl, anyway? Haven't seen him post in forever.

Carl has heavily cut back on his forum usage. He felt he was spending too much time online. I live about half and hour's drive from his place and we regularly keep in touch. I was around at his place a few weeks back helping him unpack and set up his new 55" TV. His headphone collection did appear to be a little larger than when I last saw it. He had a couple of non-functional ones around although I believe he had plans for them. Not sure.

Good to know that he's still keeping up the headphone hobby, though I don't see why he has to "cut back" by completely ceasing to post. I wouldn't mind if next time you went over you asked him if he had any spare SR-3 or SR-5 frames he wanted to sell.:P I wouldn't mind if you didn't, either. I'm probably going to end up overpaying for a working set sometime in the near future. The insanity just gets to me, every time I think about the fact that I sold my Lambdas for a pair of drivers that just sit there.

Welcome to Head-Case.

Q1: fix

Q2: SR-007 (or something from the Lambda family, but the opinions are different which is the best)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked up your "can" recommendation: $2400! I guess that means you think the SRM-1/MK-2 Pro is pretty good. Here is a follow up question if you would be so kind...

Q3: What model "can" in the current Stax lineup would be at least as good as the SR Lambda Pro? I ask because I just found the cable to be failing at the right "can" stress-reliever, which will increase my repair cost. The bottom end is very important to me. My current "cans" have about the minimum I can live with. However good the rest of the presentation, I need the bass.

Thanks again, in advance.

W.

Carl has heavily cut back on his forum usage. He felt he was spending too much time online. I live about half and hour's drive from his place and we regularly keep in touch. I was around at his place a few weeks back helping him unpack and set up his new 55" TV. His headphone collection did appear to be a little larger than when I last saw it. He had a couple of non-functional ones around although I believe he had plans for them. Not sure.

It's good to hear he hasn't been eaten by aliens. We lose out from his exile though. Does he know about this place?

If you want crazy bass from your Lambda Pros, take out the yellow mineral wool damping. Might as well try it, since you also need to open up to check and resolder the connections on the failing side.

I'll try the wool trick, thanks!

Regarding resoldering... unfortunately the continuity problem is on the outside, right where the cord meets the stress reliever. Since it's moulded plastic, I don't think I can fix the line at that junction.

Good to know that he's still keeping up the headphone hobby, though I don't see why he has to "cut back" by completely ceasing to post.

It's more that he used to post on quite a significant number of different forums out there so when I say "cut back" that's the scale we're talking. We have quite a few common interests and I've been amazed on a number of occasions when stumbling on a forum only to find posts by him there.

I wouldn't mind if next time you went over you asked him if he had any spare SR-3 or SR-5 frames he wanted to sell.:P

I'll ask him and let you know what he says. :)

It's good to hear he hasn't been eaten by aliens. We lose out from his exile though. Does he know about this place?

Yes he was even posting here for a while. I've prodded him this direction on occasions, but he's resisted so far. We'll inevitably be out for a drink sometime in the future so I might try twisting his arm then.

I want to avoid the SR-X frame as much as possible since there's a lot of complaints of discomfort due to the headband and the supraaural pads and I would prefer the comfiness of SR-3/5 pads. Otherwise I will definitely look to that as an option.

The SR-5 isn't THAT comfy to me, since my ears are always touching the enclosure, but I suppose the SR-X are even worse.

You could use the Gamma headband if it helps ;) and if you're rich, SR-007 pads, but I remember Smeggy tried Alpha pro pads and they worked.

Just heard back from Carl.

"I have two non-functioning SRXs, one Gamma Pro with a blown driver, and a new set of SRX/Gamma Pro drivers. I'd consider selling any of the above assuming I was properly compensated."

I'm tempted by those Gamma Pro drivers myself actually. ;)

Ah, sorry. If you were considering the Pro 4AAAAAAAA, I'm not sure how well Grado drivers will fare in closed headphones since they're meant to be in the opposite. Which drivers are they?
Well, supposedly (according to grawk) the PS-1's in a CD3000 sound pretty good. And I'm a closed headphone guy, so even though they're not designed for it, I have to wonder how it will sound. The Koss were only one set of enclosure-donor headphones I was considering.

Unfortunately, they're not just drivers, they're the whole headphones, so I may (and so far have) just not.

But speaking of design -- all drivers have backwave, so all closed headphones' enclosures are designed to minimize that, I would think.

Just heard back from Carl.

"I have two non-functioning SRXs, one Gamma Pro with a blown driver, and a new set of SRX/Gamma Pro drivers. I'd consider selling any of the above assuming I was properly compensated."

I'm tempted by those Gamma Pro drivers myself actually. ;)

Ooh, highly highly tempting indeed. Thanks for asking! And you should go for the Gamma Pro drivers, I'm curious what kind of frankenphone you'd create. Could you ask him how much one SR-X would be? And how much the Gamma Pro with the blown driver would be? I could try to PM him but I don't know if/when he'd respond.

But speaking of design -- all drivers have backwave, so all closed headphones' enclosures are designed to minimize that, I would think.

You would think that, but I think > 90% of closed headphones were made without a thought toward minimizing reflections. My AKG K340 (not even fully closed) and my Fostex T40v1 both bug me because of the closed effect I hear. My T40 only started bugging me after I got the electrostatic Floats, though.

Ooh, highly highly tempting indeed. Thanks for asking! And you should go for the Gamma Pro drivers, I'm curious what kind of frankenphone you'd create. Could you ask him how much one SR-X would be? And how much the Gamma Pro with the blown driver would be? I could try to PM him but I don't know if/when he'd respond.

I'd be most tempted to swap the Gamma Pro drivers into my SR-X mk3s, but I don't like to do that considering they're not only a working headphone, but a vintage one at that. Think I'll pass for the time being. Besides, I still have "plans" for my SR-404 drivers. >:D

I'll pass on your questions and see what he comes back with. I expect he'd respond to PMs if he's still getting the email notifications though.

Edited by mirumu
typos

Make me an offer.