The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

• 1 month later...

Well it's certainly not going to be a secret for long, so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180070640374&rd=1&rd=1

and

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216965

Same cans, same guy. He teased us when he listed these about 5-6 months ago and I think some serious offers were thrown his way. We'll see how this plays out.

I like my O2's apart from the weight, and that I have to put tape on the earpads to keep them in place.

But that aforementioned sense of refinement can get a bit boring after a while, the same way I slightly tired of the Orpheus after a while. I'm at that stage now. My ears might just need a period of sandpapering with a pair of Grados so that I can slink back to the Omegas with a sigh of relief.

And no bass? I call 'electrostatic bullshitter' on that one. Even as is the O2's can put out plenty of bass. I don't use my main system much anymore, so it's usually out of the computer where I have an EQ and in those cases you might even be surprised how much lows the O2 can put out if you're in the mood for it.

• Like 1

Well it's certainly not going to be a secret for long, so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180070640374&rd=1&rd=1

and

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216965

Same cans, same guy. He teased us when he listed these about 5-6 months ago and I think some serious offers were thrown his way. We'll see how this plays out.

Hmm his head-fi thread was removed.

Yep and there's a new one in it's place. I'm thinking someone reported him for advertising headphones at Head-Fi and having an eBay thread. I guess they prolly wanted him to make a thread pointing to the eBay auction instead of impling that he was going to sell off Head-Fi?

Oh well, too rich for my blood either way....or is it? O0

It must be said the guy's approach to selling them is rather slimey. Not to say I'd have any issue taking them if the price was right, of course...

Yep...I'm waiting for him to pull them again like he did last time. "Oh I think I'll listen to them since so many people seem to want them...teehee."

But yeah, if I had the cash I'd pony up to hear them.

$4k? That's insane! I know that Javier paid around $4k for his NOS pair, but second hand ones aren't usually much more than a HE60, assuming you can find one.

John seems intent on driving the price up, and then selling it outside of ebay once he gets an offer he considers is high enough.

Alex offered more than $4k when last they were 'available', but found two pair of NOS in Europe for about $4k each... that was a couple of months back. They are worth $2k to me, but know some drooling knuckle dragger will pay 2-3x that. But, if I get lucky, well... but, I have amp issues to fry.

BTW, my HE60 / HEV70 was $1450, shipped, in September, with new pads and a new headband, and one went on eBay last week at ~$1300, though NOT with new pads.

Well by "not that much more", I meant by headphone freak standards, ie. around $500, although I have seen SR-Ωs go for less than $1500 before, regretably not to yours truely.

I also think they're worth as a matter of value around $2k, so if the reserve wasn't at a ridiculous level we might have ended up in a bidding war ;D Too bad.

Hey, when did you join?

A while ago.

You the guy making me want to get a pair of 4070's?

Just 4070s? Damn, I mustn't be trying hard enough...

What did you do to yours?

No idea. A bit too much juice went to one side and the driver got a little sizzled, so I sent them off to have the drivers replaced. They've since returned to me, though.

but at the time, I thought I was going to be trying them out -- now I'm pretty sure I'm going to be just plain enjoying them.

Yes, they're good. They have their own sound, so aren't necessarily a better option than any other particular given electrostatic, but if they grok with you then they're one of the best in the world.

Yes, they're good. They have their own sound, so aren't necessarily a better option than any other particular given electrostatic, but if they grok with you then they're one of the best in the world.

Can you elaborate on the sound sig. or have you done so elsewhere? I'm most curious. Which stats are they most similar to, tonally?

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been living with an SRM-T1 amp and the ED-1 equalizer for the Lambda Pros recently and it's an interesting experience. We had a little electrostatic get-together here in MD last weekend at Hirsch's and the general consensus was that the ED-1 causes a loss of detail. While it didn't scale well with the Sigma Pros or even the Lambda Signatures I do think it does better with the Lambda Pros.

There are some trade-offs when using it. I'll write up more after I've had a little more time with it.