The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

We aren't really the normal Stax customers but many of us have a SRM-717 which is the best amp Stax has made in quite a while. The others aren't bad, just underwhelming.

What was the latest generation Stax amp with normal bias socket? I think I have seen 007t with one some time ago.

What was the latest generation Stax amp with normal bias socket? I think I have seen 007t with one some time ago.

The first series of the 007t had 2 pro and 1 normal output. The last series had 3 pro outputs only. ( I have one of those with serial no: 7T-2199 )

cheers

Tom

I don't understand the reason behind having 3 pro bias sockets on one amp. It's not like I'm going to listen to three of the same headphone all at once (the amp probably wouldn't even sound decent driving three at the same time) and if there are different headphones with different sensitivies plugged in with only one volume knob it really doesn't make sense.

I think it isn't *too* difficult to mod one of them to have normal bias, though, although you would need to replace the jack.

The last normal bias amps were made in August/September 2003 but the only change was to just replace the 6 pin socket with another 5 pin. This worked great on the 313 with only one Pro socket to begin with but the 006t and 007t were a bit silly. The 300 and 717 were never equipped with normal bias sockets since they were later additions.

The last normal bias amps were made in August/September 2003 but the only change was to just replace the 6 pin socket with another 5 pin. This worked great on the 313 with only one Pro socket to begin with but the 006t and 007t were a bit silly. The 300 and 717 were never equipped with normal bias sockets since they were later additions.

Birger

Are there other than cosmetic differences between the SRM-007t and SRM 007ta/II.

Any real change to the design?

cheers

Tom

The only problem I have with that description is that the SR-007A has its own midrange etch. :-\ I should get my 404LE soon so we'll see.

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear your impressions. If it's as good as they say I might just consolidate my Stax "collection" even further.

I've just got the SR001 today. Sounds pretty good but freakin' uncomfortable. My ears hurt like shit only after an hour listening :(

I just wonder if there is an extension cable for this?

I find that I have to use the ear pieces with the headband, and rotated with the cable running a little forward along the jawline. I can push them in to be inside my ear canals (without the headband) but find that very uncomfortable for more than a few minutes, and it doesn't sound as good that way.

That's also what I'm doing. I can't bear wearing when the cable running straight down. Those kind of rubber buds hurt like crazy :(

Over time your ear's skin will toughen up a little, and then it will bother you less. I had the same issue with Grados, where I had to use them regularly or my ears would get too sensitive again.

That's also what I'm doing. I can't bear wearing when the cable running straight down. Those kind of rubber buds hurt like crazy :(

You should also try bending the arc to get the right level of pressure - for me it helped to improve comfort quite a bit.

Try angling the earbuds slightly forward if you're wearing them without the headband, and also you can try wrapping the cord around your ear IEM style to alleviate some of the cord pull, though this does but a bit of pressure on the detachable joint.

With the headband, I used large-sized tips and bent the headband to alleviate some of the pressure. The fit was way more comfortable, but sonics were I think a little better without the headband and with the tips shoved right in...

It's a tricky little bugger but you can get it to fit well.