The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

So do we have any good impressions for SR-404 LTD? Since I will have some free money now due to canceling my Head-F1 order. I might pick these up if they sound good.

I have one on pre-order. Want to buy mine if I don't like it?

SRM-T2A eh? Looks very shibby. Maybe some kind of prototype unit for a design revision? Not seen one like it before.

It's just a homage I think since this isn't Stax project. Looks like it is a variation of their other amp but with a opamp gain stage and 12FQ7's.

If you're sure its from the phones', you might have dust inside. Tough luck I suppose.

Sure sounds like it but could also be a torn diaphragm.

Ooh, adjustable bias voltage from 200V to 630V. I have co-opted my wife into contacting them about how much it costs for one.

I was going to ask Craig to do it so thanks. :)

It is possible to get it out but with Lambdas its very, very hard. You could try your luck by vacuuming the outside of the headphone... be very careful not to damage the protective membrane however.

Umm, im not sure about the Lambdas, but that would most likely warp the drivers. The O2s would most certainly be destroyed.

You can crack open the Lambda drivers but it isn't easy getting them back together. :D Dust issue normally presents as a static sound in the driver at all times but a bass resonance could be due to a bad seal somewhere. Are the drivers and earpads completely airtight? If you press the phones towards your head then you should hear the diaphragm flex...

I listened to a pair of Lambda Signatures for the first time out of the T1. It was definately a fun/flawed sound I enjoyed. Listened to non-critically, the only slight gripe is the slight upper midrange etch making some vocals harsh when turned up to louder volumes. Does anyone have any comments on the SR-404 in this regard and as a whole compared to the Lambda Signature? (Catscratch seems to be the most offended by this midrange emphasis.)

I listened to a pair of Lambda Signatures for the first time out of the T1. It was definately a fun/flawed sound I enjoyed. Listened to non-critically, the only slight gripe is the slight upper midrange etch making some vocals harsh when turned up to louder volumes. Does anyone have any comments on the SR-404 in this regard and as a whole compared to the Lambda Signature? (Catscratch seems to be the most offended by this midrange emphasis.)

Hi,

I prefer the SR-Lambda Signature way beyond the SR-404.

I was able to use both and decided I preferred the Lambda Signature much over the SR-404. I let the SR-404 go and still have the Signature.

Especially the very sharp s-sounds of the SR-404 annoyed me.

It depends a but on your choice of music, but since I enjoy female jazz vocals, I could not live with the 404.

Some experimenting showed that some damping/filtering can give a very large improvement. To get the idea: just position some thin fabric of your choice between your ear and the phones. You hear the change immediately.

Unfortunately the coin has two sides: you trade in some spaciality.

The Lambda misses the very sharp intonation, but is not as neutral in that as the SRX-mkIII for example.

To my opinion the damping of electrostatic phones is a very critical item.

F.e. my Jecklin Float improved a lot by adding a piece of fabric on the outside of the electrostatic cell. Both treble and bass are more linear.

An easily achieved improvement can be the use of very good tubes in the T1. If it still has the stock ones, replace them by NOS good ones.

In my SRM-006t the change in quality was larger than I expected it to be. The circuitry of the SRM-T1, T1S, 006t and 006tII is almost identical, so I expect that the T1 would certainly benefit as much from top quality tubes.

You are welcome, Deadneddz.

The BH will most likely sound superior to the T1.

I have not been able to audit a BH, but the circuitry looks sound to me.

The high current in the tube output circuit will enable the BH to supply a lot more current at high frequencies.

And if the output impedance is much lower than that of the T1 (which I expect it to be, but I never did calculations on it), the sound certainly will improve overall.

If the output (source) impedance is low, the unwanted currents in the cable capacitance have far less influence on the amplifier.

Since a major part of the headphone+cable capacitance is caused by the cable, this could be a determining factor.

The capacitance of the cable has some unwanted characteristics (f.i. the loss factor) and gives unwanted output currents in the amplifier. And these currents are larger than the wanted currents in the headphone element itself!

So, al in all, I would expect to have a better sound quality from the BH (or any other capable amplifier!) than from the T1. Not that the T1 is bad; quite the contrary. But it has its limitations.

Let us know your findings, if you will !

I always learn from experiences from others. That make me attentive of things I might not have payed attention to if I was to find out all by myself.

Good luck and enjoy the Signature.

Let us know your findings, if you will !

I will definately post some impressions (most importantly pics:p) when I receive my BHSE. If I can get a hold of a pair of Lambda Sigs I will post impressions between them and the O2 MKI(which I currently own). Im sure the Lambda Sigs will not even be able to touch the O2s out of the BHSE considering how the O2 is particularly impressive from a technical standpoint and for me, even more impressive from a subjective listening standpoint. But the Lambda sigs are not for critical listening anyways, just curious to see how a Lambda would perform with the BHSE.

The SR-404 is just not a good headphone in comparison to its older siblings. The Signature does have some etch but it is fairly benign compared to the peak on the SR-404.

Ah I see, im sensitive to etch as I found even the Lambda Sig out of the T1 to be quite hot in the upper midrange section. The SR-404 would probably be a bad choice even for casual listening but I wont know until I listen to them myself.

Glad you enjoyed the combo Deadneddz! I tried to put certain headphones with certain amps based on power needed and synergy to my ear. This is why I had the O2 by itself on the 717 and the Sigs on a T1. IMO the T1 with the Lambda Sig is a very musical combo, a nice step up from the SRM1/mkII. Before I got the O2/717, that combo got probably 80% of my headtime. As I have 3 pairs of Lambda Sigs, I probably wouldn't mind selling you one if you decide to get a pair. I very briefly listened to one of my Sigs out of Justin's BHSE at CanJam and it certainly sounded better, although I couldn't really tell you in what areas as I don't remember all of my impressions from CJ anymore.

The T1 and sig is my favorite rig right now. I doubt that the bass will ever be powerful, but it is much better defined with the Buffalo and it helped bring down the brightness a notch from using the Y1. The Gamma 1 did not do will with the sigs as they already have brightness and less punch then the other lambdas I've owned. I miss it now while I'm doing my current work gig and can't carry all of that around.

Glad you enjoyed the combo Deadneddz! I tried to put certain headphones with certain amps based on power needed and synergy to my ear. This is why I had the O2 by itself on the 717 and the Sigs on a T1. IMO the T1 with the Lambda Sig is a very musical combo, a nice step up from the SRM1/mkII. Before I got the O2/717, that combo got probably 80% of my headtime. As I have 3 pairs of Lambda Sigs, I probably wouldn't mind selling you one if you decide to get a pair. I very briefly listened to one of my Sigs out of Justin's BHSE at CanJam and it certainly sounded better, although I couldn't really tell you in what areas as I don't remember all of my impressions from CJ anymore.

Great choice in pairing of amps and phones imo. If I can make it to a later meet in the area, i'll definately have to have you listen to the BHSE when I receive it.

What sockets are you having it equipped with? I'm somewhat afraid to hear the BHSE again, as that upgrade bug would prove lethal :P I still have to hear my Sigmas out of the BHSE though; they're said to improve a good amount from the added power. Right now the date for the next meet is up in the air, but it should be between Nov 09 and Feb 2010.