The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The big ES-1 is taking up all my time plus some PCB work on the side. Once the big ES-1 is up and running then I can start work on the mini and draw up the PCB. I'll probably draw up the Egmont as well since it is so simple with feedback and all. :)

Hi all,

Recently I acquired a replacement Stax cable.

Could anyone determine for which type(s) ear speaker it is intended?

(Just curious to know it....)

Some characteristics (see picture of the cable):

* the continuous and dotted lines are gold coloured

* the cable is matt black

* the length from the tip of the connector pins to the feedthrough at the speaker side is approx 2.39 m

* the overall width of the cable is 13 mm

* the connector is a 5-pin gold plated type

I might use it for a SRX-mkIII (or mkII with torn membranes I have to repair) after a planned conversion to a pro version.

Or even to improve my Jecklin Float. The capacity of the stock cable of a Float is so much higher than the Stax cable, causing an unacceptable and unnecessary high load to the amplifier. But than I have to get a high bias voltage to the Stax connector (1200 or 1500 V for the Floats, depending on which type it is). And I might forget to set it back to the 580V Stax voltage before I connect my dear Stax....

Not a good idea at all, when I think about it; I'll stick to the Hirschmann connector for the Float and find an other type of lower capacity cable for the Float without having to cut off a precious Stax connector ;D

Thanks!

post-1415-1295115415241_thumb.jpg

It's a SR-Alpha Excellent Pro cable. The gold pins prove it is a PC-OCC cable and that is the Gamma/Alpha strain relief.

Thanks for your help Birgir !

(Is there anything at all that you do not know about Stax?)

Best wishes.

(Is there anything at all that you do not know about Stax?)

Quite a bit actually... :-[

Anyone know what design this amp is based on, just out of curiosity?

There are a couple of possibilities, most of which are based on the earliest Stax amps such as the SRA-6S. It's such a rats nest that the pictures make it almost impossible to decipher. How about Al brings the amp to you next time you meet and you draw it up for us... no? ;D

Hi guys,

I just received my O2 headphones from Japan:D

My setup is SCD-CE595,SRM-717 (thanks veloaudio!),O2.

This is by far the most profound headphone experience that I have had to date.I'm listening to Scheherazad performed by the Chicago symphony and conducted by Reiner on SACD,this is my reference recording and I am hearing such fine detail that I've never heard before and everything sounds perfectly natural,I'm blown away.

This is my only one but I will make a point of seeking out others given how wonderful this sounds,any recommendations?

I just buy them all ;D

The audio quality is fantastic on all of them. But if you're seeking good performances my favorites are

Dvorak's New World Symphony.

Berlioz Symphony Fantastique

Tchaikovsky/Rachmaninoff piano concerto no 1 and 2 respectively

Strauss Scenes from Salome & Elektra

Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra

There are more, those are off the top of my head.