The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

It seems like I'll be getting back into the Stax game money-hole sometimes this week. I'm about to buy a Lambda Pro + SRD-7 Pro combo, and I have a few questions for you Stax-heads.

First, I have heard the Signature, SR-404 and SR-202, I was wondering what can I expect from the Pro compared to his brothers?

Other than that, do you have a suggestion for an affordable speaker amp that will be used only to power the Stax setup?

Thanks!

It seems like I'll be getting back into the Stax game money-hole sometimes this week. I'm about to buy a Lambda Pro + SRD-7 Pro combo, and I have a few questions for you Stax-heads.

First, I have heard the Signature, SR-404 and SR-202, I was wondering what can I expect from the Pro compared to his brothers?

Other than that, do you have a suggestion for an affordable speaker amp that will be used only to power the Stax setup?

Thanks!

I've done some comparisons on the Signature and Lambda norm with the pro on an SRM-T1. To me the Pro has a smooth sound with a somewhat sucked out mid-range. Its bass isn't as strong is the Lambda and is about as defined (maybe more) as the Lambda, but stronger and not as well-defined as the Signature's bass. Its not bright like the signature, not too dark, just laid back. It worked decently with electronic music, but not so great with vocals. Those were my thoughts on it before I sold it them about two months ago, I was fairly happy with it.

Are there any other manufacturer currently in production that make energizers for the Stax headphones besides Stax, HeadAmp, and WooAudio?

I primarily interested in energizers for the Omega II.

Another question, do electrostatic headphones emit more EMF that dynamics headphones. I heard there were cases of people in Sweden that were getting brain tumors from too much cellphone use. Is there any possibility of electrostatics being dangerous?

You're looking for amplifiers, not energizers. No one still makes energizers. I believe you have listed all current amp manufacturers, though. I wouldn't call mikhail and mcallister "in business".

As to the EMF -- everything comes at a cost. I'm unaware of any credible studies linking estats to brain tumors, but the same goes for cell phones.

Estats aren't going to emit radio waves so I doubt that there's any chance of that happening (they aren't going to cause cancer the same way handphones _might_, at least). But then again, people have managed to link high voltage power lines to cancer and stuff like that, so...

You're looking for amplifiers, not energizers. No one still makes energizers. I believe you have listed all current amp manufacturers, though. I wouldn't call mikhail and mcallister "in business".

As to the EMF -- everything comes at a cost. I'm unaware of any credible studies linking estats to brain tumors, but the same goes for cell phones.

I doubt the # of people using estats would be large enough for a study to be done

Dinny where were you when I had this (vomit) and swore off stats for life?

But yeah O2 MK1 + BH = bass :eek:

It's funny how the whole "SR-404 + SRM-313 is the best intro Stax set up" has been the accepted wisdom on head-fi for quite a while 5 or so years ago... I had the same combo as well!

Now SRM-313 is not a bad amp as such and I use it happily now with an SR-X, but when you put it together with SR-404 and "state of the art" digital like DAC1, it makes for a remarkably ear grating experience... In retrospect that was probably one of the worst systems I could assemble.

I happily purport that SR Lambda + SRM-T1 is the best intro stax setup. I'll go one further and say it's the best intro setup, period. "Intro" in this case means somewhat shy of $1000, though....

Hell yeah, the Lambda Sig/SRM-T1S combo I had at some point was awesome and definitely a deal at a little bit less than 1000$. I'd go as far as saying it beat the O2 in terms of openness and air, but with that said, the O2 is better in everything else IMO. Still, I'd take the Sig or some Lambda variation over any dynamic headphone I've heard without even thinking.

Are there any other manufacturer currently in production that make energizers for the Stax headphones besides Stax, HeadAmp, and WooAudio?

I primarily interested in energizers for the Omega II.

There are always Rudistor and RSA but overpriced and crap "engineering" springs to mind... This is being made to custom order in Japan and I know there are talks about offering a 117v/230v version. Nothing set in stone yet though.

Another question, do electrostatic headphones emit more EMF that dynamics headphones. I heard there were cases of people in Sweden that were getting brain tumors from too much cellphone use. Is there any possibility of electrostatics being dangerous?

If it were the speakers in the cellphones which were the problem then it might be but that's clearly not the case. A cellphone is a powerful transmitter and it can't be good to have it next to the head all day.

It's funny how the whole "SR-404 + SRM-313 is the best intro Stax set up" has been the accepted wisdom on head-fi for quite a while 5 or so years ago... I had the same combo as well!

Now SRM-313 is not a bad amp as such and I use it happily now with an SR-X, but when you put it together with SR-404 and "state of the art" digital like DAC1, it makes for a remarkably ear grating experience... In retrospect that was probably one of the worst systems I could assemble.

SR-007/313 as an entry level setup FTW!!! :P

I happily purport that SR Lambda + SRM-T1 is the best intro stax setup. I'll go one further and say it's the best intro setup, period. "Intro" in this case means somewhat shy of $1000, though....

No argument from me - I think here it's well recognised that low bias is the way to go outside of Lambda Sig and SR-007 (and perhaps Gamma/SR-X Pro)...

Another wrote for the normal bias Lambda + T1 but with a good speaker amp an adapter isn't bad either.

QFT. My Stax setup now uses an adapter, and you have to go pretty high up in the amp range to significantly better it, especially on the SR Lambda.