The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I like how this amp looks: STAX SRM-353S ?????? #hpfes on TwitPic

Anything else Stax redesigned?

Hadn't seen this one before. Very beautiful and it makes perfect sense for Stax to drop the SRM-300 in favor of a redesigned SRM323.

How dare you taint the Stax thread with mention of Grado? :chair: It goes against my morals to buy headphones with drivers that are held in a flimsy plastic/wood frame with glue from a hot glue gun.

Indeed, worthy of a temp ban at least to mention Grado here.

Rudistor makes terrible headphone amp, their headphone meight be OK. I know everyone always juge before their it...

Everything branded with Rudistor is an overpriced piece of shit. The electrostatic amps will also destroy your headphones as bonus feature.

Driving an Omega with SRD-7 Pro might not be the best idea, it will sound dark while loosing some detail ability as well. With a speaker amp like a Beta22 it might be better but then you are better off with a 717 or a KGSS. Custom transformers also work better than the Stax ones.

Hadn't seen this one before. Very beautiful and it makes perfect sense for Stax to drop the SRM-300 in favor of a redesigned SRM323.

Does Stax have other redesigned amps coming? There seems to be some activity on that front with SRM-600 and now SRM-353S. Maybe they will finaly make something that can driver SR-007 properly like new version of SRM-727. :P

Does Stax have other redesigned amps coming? There seems to be some activity on that front with SRM-600 and now SRM-353S. Maybe they will finaly make something that can driver SR-007 properly like new version of SRM-727. :P

I haven't heard anything but the use of ECC99's in the SRM-600 could mean a redesign of the 007t is in order. It is certainly a far better tube for the 6CG7 for this role and might give the circuit a much needed boost. Add some regulators to the HV lines or even a CCS for the output and it would be a very nice amp indeed.

If you don't like flimsy plastic frames, the Lambda Series is not for you...

I'm pretty sure the Lambda frames just seem flimsy and are actually pretty strong. I wouldn't test that theory on mine, of course... And like Colin said, I don't think I've ever actually seen a case where the frames broke. The headband, yes...

On the other hand, Grado QC is known to be... quite iffy.:D And even when the headphones do work, you have glue splashed around everywhere and the cables are twisted.

I'm pretty sure the Lambda frames just seem flimsy and are actually pretty strong. I wouldn't test that theory on mine, of course... And like Colin said, I don't think I've ever actually seen a case where the frames broke. The headband, yes...

The frame is in reality pretty strong, partially due to the 1/10" thick aluminum baffle. I've owned countless Lambdas and aside from a few broken plastic cross sections there has never been any damage to the frames and I have the habit of buying badly treated sets to give them a new lease of life.

On the other hand, Grado QC is known to be... quite iffy.:D And even when the headphones do work, you have glue splashed around everywhere and the cables are twisted.

Compared to the faultless Stax QC. There have been some design issues on some models but a Lambda Pro made in 1982 sounds exactly the same as a unit made in 1990.

This is a little more technical, but hope someone can help me.

About SRD-7 (normal bias) and SRD-7 Pro/ MKII Stak Energizer, do they all have the same specification in term of frequency response and sound quality, also do they have the same components inside, except the bias voltage different?