The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

woah, just saw that krmathis is running a beta22 into an srd7-pro and powering 007's

How exactly does that work?

And how does it compare to other SS stax amps? 717, KGSS?

Driving an Omega with SRD-7 Pro might not be the best idea, it will sound dark while loosing some detail ability as well. With a speaker amp like a Beta22 it might be better but then you are better off with a 717 or a KGSS. Custom transformers also work better than the Stax ones.

I used a Beta22+srd-7 pro to drive my O2 Mk1 for about month. It actually sounded a lot better than I thought it would: only slightly dark and less refined. I preferred the O2 Mk1 in this setup to the HD800 so I ended up getting a KGSS and selling my HD800 and Beta22. The KGSS, of course, is a huge improvement.

I used a Beta22+srd-7 pro to drive my O2 Mk1 for about month. It actually sounded a lot better than I thought it would: only slightly dark and less refined. I preferred the O2 Mk1 in this setup to the HD800 so I ended up getting a KGSS and selling my HD800 and Beta22. The KGSS, of course, is a huge improvement.

Good to know I'm going in the right direction! Did you sell your 303s?

Just received a pair of SR-X mk3 I bought last week, and dang, they actually sound quite decent, even with the bare cloth pads (vinyl all flaked). Decent bass even, and they are in surprisingly good shape, especially the cable. Came with an SRD6, but I am using my SRM1/mk2 instead. Good stuff.

Completely unrelated but I think I've collected almost every good sounding vintage electrostat there is. Can I be deemed a demi-Birgir now?:P

Koss ESP10

Superex PEP-74

SR-X mk3

SR-5NB

SR-Lambda

Beyerdynamic ET1000

Jecklin Float PS2

And eventually the Gamma Pro + SR-X Pro will be coming.

Only thing I need now is a PMB500 or PMB1000. Only problem is now that I've amassed this collection it will be tough to let any of them go.

Completely unrelated but I think I've collected almost every good sounding vintage electrostat there is. Can I be deemed a demi-Birgir now?:P

Koss ESP10

Superex PEP-74

SR-X mk3

SR-5NB

SR-Lambda

Beyerdynamic ET1000

Jecklin Float PS2

And eventually the Gamma Pro + SR-X Pro will be coming.

Only thing I need now is a PMB500 or PMB1000. Only problem is now that I've amassed this collection it will be tough to let any of them go.

You need to sang these Babies then!

MICRO MONITOR MX1 Electrostatic Headset Japan SEIKI MS2 - eBay (item 250524826904 end time Nov-10-09 19:39:55 PST)

if you got the Omegas, you wouldn't need the rest.

True, but the amount I spent on all of them combined is less than 1/3 the cost of an Omega.

Edit: Uh, whoops. Turns out I overestimated the price of the Omegas and underestimated how much I spent, including transformer boxes and SRM-1/MkII. I spent 1/2 of the going rate of an Omega on all of the above combined.

You are doing well my young friend but you need more overkill and frankenphones. :P

if you got the Omegas, you wouldn't need the rest.

Before I went nuts I had a SR-007/Blue Hawaii but even that wasn't enough to stop the evil thoughts from appearing, "I wonder how those crazy Sigma's would sound..." etc.

Spritzer, you were right, the SRM-717 does work well with the O2. I got to play with Dinan's modded re-wired 717 today at his place with O2 Mk2, HE60 and SR-003 and I did enjoy it. He says it's much better than it was stock, but I have to take his word for it since I haven't heard a stock one. The O2 Mk2 midbass bloat was more obvious with the 717 than with my GES where the forward mids were the bigger problem.

I think that the time that I spent with the eXStatA at RMAF a month ago tells me it was on a similar level, but that was too long ago to really make a proper comparison.

Before I went nuts I had a SR-007/Blue Hawaii but even that wasn't enough to stop the evil thoughts from appearing, "I wonder how those crazy Sigma's would sound..." etc.

Luckily for me I had those kinds of thoughts before I even knew what planars were....much less evil.:D Curiosity kills your wallet as well as the cat!