The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

what's the bass impact like on the O2 with an srm-717?

Not something I'd worry about. :)

I see from one of your previous posts that you've tried the DT880? If you find that the DT880 has enough bass, then don't sweat it, you'd probably find the O2 bass from the 717 more than enuf too. I've tried the DT880 in the past, found the bass to be sufficient. Owned the O2mk1 and 717 in the past, bass was DEFINITELY NOT an issue.

O2 is "1 million" times better.

dr-evil.jpg

----------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------------

*can we make this into a smiley please?* ----> 59588611.jpg

Most of the bass-heads I know was pretty impressed with the kind of bass that the O2 was outputting. Changed the general impressions of electrostats for those who hadn't had the chance to listen to one before.

Got a Sigma Pro recently and liked its mid range but the bass seems a bit "muddy"? Not particularly punchy. Is that how it is or is mine the odd one out?

I was never that impressed with the Sigma Pro, it always sounded a bit out of control and the bass suffered. The SR-Sigma and Sigma 404 can rock with the best of them though...

Thanks Birgir for re-affirming my queries, thought I had gotten a "faulty" pair, nonetheless, I'm disappointed with the sound. Time to look for a cheap 404 or Lambda Sig to mutilate.

I was never that impressed with the Sigma Pro, it always sounded a bit out of control and the bass suffered. The SR-Sigma and Sigma 404 can rock with the best of them though...

Never heard the Sigma Pro, but Birgir's opinion of the other two is correct. IMHO, the Sigma/404 is the best as it has the best treble response, and a slightly smoother and deeper bottom end. I think Naotake Hayashi was a very smart man to have invented these phones. He really had a good lateral view, and came up with a different way of creating the illusion of listening to speakers in a room. He apparently liked the Sigma best, but at that time, there was nothing else in that line apart from the Sigma Pro. Now we have the Sigma/404 option.

I'd use the SR-003 for that.

The SR-003 will tell you a lot if something goes wrong. Wrong bias voltages scream at you and it's great for picking up hum.

Hmmm, didn't think or consider that. I was just going to pick up some 303's for testing, but that seems a lot of $$$ to tie up just to test. So them thought about some lower end older STAX. I want something to test listen with before plugging in O2s. I'll look over the 003s, thanx!