The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Just to be clear -- it has nothing to do as to whether or not it offends, it's just that if there were someone else at work peering over our shoulder, that's not something we'd want them to accidentally see and potentially offend. We just want that extra click so that we can look at it later when we know "the coast is clear".

Am I crazy for liking SR-X mk3 which have old pads where the vinyl is all gone? I never remembered liking SR-X with new pads on this much, and this being the case, am very tempted to just leave well enough alone, even though I have replacements here. On another note, this headband is really rubbish, isnt it?

Am I crazy for liking SR-X mk3 which have old pads where the vinyl is all gone? I never remembered liking SR-X with new pads on this much, and this being the case, am very tempted to just leave well enough alone, even though I have replacements here. On another note, this headband is really rubbish, isnt it?

Yes you are crazy. Put some new pads on.

I'm not sure the pads are meant to seal; the distance between the drivers and the ears (aka pretty much zilch) pretty much dictates the amount of bass imo. The headband I actually kind of like. It doesn't cause any discomfort and looks decent enough, although I'm kind of interested in how it would be if it were stuffed with some foam or something.

Yay Colin likes a flat frequency response! ;)

Ask Steve himself, he also made me a stand similar to postjack's one. I think morphsci has it now.

Man, that is gorgeous. I think Steve has lost the dimensions.

Indeed, I do still have that lovely stand. I would be willing to send it off to Steve if he needed to get the measurements. I could also measure it myself as long as it does not have to be measured in Tices. ;)

There seems to be a fair bit of variation in the headbands - some of them grip waaaay too loosely, while some have a vice grip on the head. It just depends on how much the previous owner stretched them out I guess.

As for the earpads, I think the older pads bring out the treble a tad more, with the loss of some bass since they don't seal as well as the new pads, and bring your ears just a little closer to the drivers. I'm not sure which one I prefer, actually.

Yes you are crazy. Put some new pads on.

I'm not sure the pads are meant to seal; the distance between the drivers and the ears (aka pretty much zilch) pretty much dictates the amount of bass imo. The headband I actually kind of like. It doesn't cause any discomfort and looks decent enough, although I'm kind of interested in how it would be if it were stuffed with some foam or something.

Yay Colin likes a flat frequency response! ;)

Yeah, thats the thing, if anything, the bass seems more than I remember hearing before on an SR-X. My ears are closer to the driver, probably half the distance of the new pads. The issue with the headband is mostly that I get the pressure right on the top of my head from the wires. A wee bit of padding wouldnt have hurt anything, or even a stiff headband that distributed the weight better than a pair of wires.

There seems to be a fair bit of variation in the headbands - some of them grip waaaay too loosely, while some have a vice grip on the head. It just depends on how much the previous owner stretched them out I guess.

As for the earpads, I think the older pads bring out the treble a tad more, with the loss of some bass since they don't seal as well as the new pads, and bring your ears just a little closer to the drivers. I'm not sure which one I prefer, actually.

Mine seems to have been hardly used, especially looking at the cable. Totally unkinked, very nice, clean, and supple. Headband has quite a bit of clamp, starts hurting the ears after a bit, though I have never run into a supraaural headphone which didnt. Best so far has been the Yamaha HP-1.