The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

There seems to be a very very slight noise coming from the right channel on my O2. Its nothing like the squeal from dust getting into a Lambda or HE60 both of which I have had experience with. It kind of sounds like if you were to push a lens brush(or your own short hair) against the leather pads and the bristles would pop out. But the sound is extremely quiet and they come in small series of crackles and static. I checked the connections to the amp and its not the connectors. Wiggling the right channel cable doesn't make the sounds appear, so i'm hopeful that it is not cable failure. My set is barely used and in 9/10 condition. Plus I just got a SRE-725.:palm: Anyone have any experience with these kind of small noises?

Hmm maybe, it is a different SRM-T1 than the one I recently parted with. And its been coming up since i've been using this one I have right now. I don't have any experience with tube microphonics, so I couldn't really say if I thought it was or wasn't. All I know is that the sound is so slight that i'm confusing it for my hair settling against the leather pads once I have the phones in a "set" position on my head. But this sound is only coming from the right channel, so i'm not imagining it. This is definately not worthy of dismantling the black plate and cleaning the driver for particles, but i'm just curious if anyone has heard something similar.

Ok, being the impatient bastard that I am, I switched the tubes to the opposite channels, and biased the amp. Stopped the music with the O2 on my head and that sound is gone completely. I don't hear it anymore in any channel.:) Strange, but so far it seems like the tubes were the culprit.

Clearly bias related but what exactly is going on is hard to say. Could be that the phones have arced and there is some residue on the diaphragm causing it to act up. No way to open up the drivers to check though.

:rant:

I'll have a bit of a play around, listen some more on the SRD7-SB as well as the Exstata, and see what happens...... :(

I'd open up the housings and see if the drivers are not coming apart. That can happen with some of the older phones. They should be firmly glued shut. Also look for any gaps in the mylar dustcover on the front or the one on the back.

I might wish to give my lambda a check up. Is there any way to reglue or close the gaps safely if so?