The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Great connectors but make extra sure you don't short out the wires with a stray strand. The R- and bias pins are pretty close together...

The 6-pin variant is even more fun :)

I removed all of the outer pins, did the centre pin first, and made sure for the outside pins that all the wires were actually towards the outside. I used 22AWG Belden wire and a decent length of heatshrink, and it ended up a nice clean job, and very secure.

I'd recommend heatshrink but it was hard for me to use since I had two wires on each pin, the wire from the tubes and then a loop out to the Fischer socket. Solid core wires would also be a good choice here...

The 6-pin variant is even more fun :)

I removed all of the outer pins, did the centre pin first, and made sure for the outside pins that all the wires were actually towards the outside. I used 22AWG Belden wire and a decent length of heatshrink, and it ended up a nice clean job, and very secure.

Through my powers of inductive reasoning here, it looks like it is best to solder the Jack first, then install in the chassis.

Solid core does sound attractive here.

Through my powers of inductive reasoning here, it looks like it is best to solder the Jack first, then install in the chassis.

Solid core does sound attractive here.

Yes, absolutely before it goes in the chassis :)

I can't imagine solid core being that much better. I twisted tightly and tinned, and had no problems at all.

resistance is futile...got a new 404LE today (thanks to tip from local HFier). waiting on an incoming SRD7Pro (had a SRD7mkII before but I chickened out of 'stats then), looking forward to my first 'stat experience. (my K1000, recently reacquired, looks pissed...) btw, the local store was down to two last pairs - the final pair remaining after my purchase had a serial number of 0666 :o I was tempted to buy both, but no way I'm going to bring that last evil spawn into my house. :palm:

404.jpg

Also, where are you guys getting your 404LEs?

a local stax dealer here in HK (Mingo), so that may not be attractive to you. But if you don't mind the serial number of the last pair, I'm happy to pick up and ship to you (it was HK$4900 = US$630, no tax in HK, shipping I figure ~US$20). Probably can't do it until later in the week given work commitments and this place is a bit out of the way.

So my Yamas order for SR-Lambda replacement parts finally arrived. I'm pretty sure I can replace the cable, backing foam, pads and headpad with no problems...... but have a question about the mineral wool. It has come loosely attached to a coarse fibered paper backing.

Would the paper go against the driver, not against the driver, or is the paper removed from the wool entirely?