The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

O ye wise men of Staxen, any thoughts on what a fair price might be for a used SRM-007t in decent nick? For verily, having three stat amps at one time is probably overkill even by the standards of this place. ;)

Hi

I paid 900 USD for mine and it is a blessing as compaired to the kgss

cheers

Tom

If the background of any electrostatic amp isn't completely silent then the amp has some serious issues. The SRM-T2 has a bit of background hum but that's Stax own doing as I've manged to avoid it with same filament mess in my ESX.

As for the exstata, it appears to be turning into a RSA-like fanclub since I've gotten PM's from two owners this week asking me for advice as they were not happy with what they were hearing. Nothing wrong with that (we all have different tastes after all) but being afraid to post about it from fear of retaliation is very fucked up.

It would be nice if people would post their true opinions on DIY builds if they differ, its been all so positive that I think its a little bewildering based on the technical specs compared to some of these amps (especially the KGSS which I've also yet to hear). I admit the fandom would likely be a bit intimidating if I had impressions ready ATM, perhaps more so then RSA with how tight and partially behind the scenes the DIY community is already. It certainly stings being led into hype.

As for the exstata, it appears to be turning into a RSA-like fanclub since I've gotten PM's from two owners this week asking me for advice as they were not happy with what they were hearing. Nothing wrong with that (we all have different tastes after all) but being afraid to post about it from fear of retaliation is very fucked up.

Yeah, that's BS. Passions will cool as the new new thing gets less shiny. I do have hopes for it though, as JP's really sounded good to me fed from his Sonic Studio 302. Apparently he thought so too, as he ran right out to buy O2s himself. :)

The eXStatA sounded a little bit better than Stretch's 007t but not as good as the WES or the BHSE from what I remember. End-all amp it is not, just a good performer for the price.

I can totally understand that. My enthusiasm comes from the improvements over an SDR7-SB fed by a t-amp. Hardly a tough thing to topple of course, and I've never heard any other high end amp or stat phones.

Yeah, that's BS. Passions will cool as the new new thing gets less shiny.

Have you seen pabbi post about the Exstata? :D

I think the exstata has to be called a rousing success when you look at the design goals($300 DIY ESL amp) and that folks are comparing it to $2200-$5000+ custom amps.

Also, anybody who doesn't give their honest opinion won't help the design, especially since it is still being called beta and soliciting feedback from builders.

I'm confused how anybody could feel intimidated in that thread though. AC has been quick to respond to comments and actively solicits them. AC has never acted sensitive to comments that I've seen. He's never been defensive, or mounted a response that sounded like a counter-attack. He seems very responsive to critique.

The KGSS was a pretty nice step up from the SRM-007t for me (w/ the SR-007's). The added frequency extension and impact certainly provides a nice helping of PRaT and makes these cans more engaging. I certainly wouldn't mind a BHSE but don't feel like dropping that kind of cash until I can spend an equivalent amount on a DAC ;)