The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Ya if only Sennheiser could hear it......Sennheiser USA that is. I'd be suprised if some of the employees there even know what an electrostat headphone is based on my experience with dealing with their staff.:palm:

Congrats on the HE60 Deepak. I'm sure the BH takes the HE60 to a whole other level of musicality compared to the Stax amp I have in house.

The HE60's sure love their power... :)

My only problem is that the screen on the 007BL is champagne colored and might look weird with all the black and silver otherwise. Can the Mk II screen be used on the Mk I?

The parts should be interchangeable but I really don't get the silver part as all the metal parts on the BL are champagne? It's the A which is silver and black and looks bitching IMO. :)

oh god the Blue Hawaii and HE60 sound so bloody good. If only Sennheiser could hear this combination. I have only heard the HE60 with HEV70 or pro bias transformer boxes at meets and I still wanted to own them. But the BH is on another level of clarity :dance:

Hey, that looks like an HE60 with a Stax cable!

My HE60 is only reterminated with a Stax plug, it still has the original flimsy cable.

Spriiiiiiiiiiiiiiitzer!

No that's the Stax extension cable :laugh:

Where do people find all these funny pictures?

C'mon, at least give Spritzer a chance to offer to recable my HE60 for free.

Everybody is suddenly ordering Mk2 earpads... what, finally everyone realized that the Mk1 pads are fake leather? (n_maher is not reading this, n_maher is not reading this, n_maher is not reading this... oh, if you are, isn't it about time again to sell me a laptop for cheap?).

Hmm, all this makes me feel left out. I guess I have to stop by the local shop tomorrow to pick up a pair of Mk2 pads.

Edited by Elephas

Is there a step-by-step guide for removing the O2 pads? My MKI's came with a set of spare pads that I'd like to try..

Its pretty simple:

1. In short, the pads will simply pull right off. The lips of the pads are tucked in between a black plate and the champagne housing. The spring mechanism(it looks like a rod from the outside) is held in place by simply being inserted into a small grommet in the center of that black plate. I would suggest gripping the center portion of the spring first, and pulling it out of the center grommet. Then just pull the pads away from the housing.

2. Then remove the spring from the pads, which is just basically a circular spacer. Now take your new MKI pads and look at the inside of it from the back. You'll see that there are two flaps, one on the outside, and one on the inside. You'll want to take the spring and position them so that the inside flap completely envelopes the spring. The spring will now be resting between the inner most flap and the plastic ring of the mesh.

3. Now position the spring in the general direction you want, it seems that most position it so that it looks like a rod pointing away from the user. Then simply push the center of the spring back into the small rubber grommet on the black plate. Now this next part is a little tricky.

4. You'll want the outermost flap to go in between the black plate and the champagne housing. Its that tiny space you'll see. I personally find that the easiest way to do this is to pull the outer flap past the gap so that you have extra slack to hold it down with your fingers as you go around the cups. Pull portions of the flap over the housing and hold it down with your finger, and rotate the housing. Wash, rinse and repeat. Once most of the outer flap is over the housing, you'll find that it will simply slide into the gap between the black plate and the champagne housing. Once its all the way in give it a couple rotations and you'll be set. :)

It absolutely sucks the first time through. I still sort of dread doing it, but it will become easy once you practice. I can probably do it in about 5-10mins. now.

Its pretty simple:

1. In short, the pads will simply pull right off. The lips of the pads are tucked in between a black plate and the champagne housing. The spring mechanism(it looks like a rod from the outside) is held in place by simply being inserted into a small grommet in the center of that black plate. I would suggest gripping the center portion of the spring first, and pulling it out of the center grommet. Then just pull the pads away from the housing.

2. Then remove the spring from the pads, which is just basically a circular spacer. Now take your new MKI pads and look at the inside of it from the back. You'll see that there are two flaps, one on the outside, and one on the inside. You'll want to take the spring and position them so that the inside flap completely envelopes the spring. The spring will now be resting between the inner most flap and the plastic ring of the mesh.

3. Now position the spring in the general direction you want, it seems that most position it so that it looks like a rod pointing away from the user. Then simply push the center of the spring back into the small rubber grommet on the black plate. Now this next part is a little tricky.

4. You'll want the outermost flap to go in between the black plate and the champagne housing. Its that tiny space you'll see. I personally find that the easiest way to do this is to pull the outer flap past the gap so that you have extra slack to hold it down with your fingers as you go around the cups. Pull portions of the flap over the housing and hold it down with your finger, and rotate the housing. Wash, rinse and repeat. Once most of the outer flap is over the housing, you'll find that it will simply slide into the gap between the black plate and the champagne housing. Once its all the way in give it a couple rotations and you'll be set. :)

It absolutely sucks the first time through. I still sort of dread doing it, but it will become easy once you practice. I can probably do it in about 5-10mins. now.

Thanks - much appreciated! I figured it would be a bit more involved than swapping out the HD650 pads ;) I'll let you know how it goes..

Agree. The all black mk2 is badass lookin' and very, very comfortable. I can't believe that I am probably going to get another pair...

Hmm, if you're thinking about getting an MK2 just for the comfort, i'd suggest just getting some MK2 pads and putting them on your MKI. That is unless your current MKI headband is also too loose or something. But if its just from a cosmetic stand point or for the sound difference, then SR-007 MK2 all the way!:)

Can anyone tell the answer to this? thanks

I don't know any MKI owner that has MK2 pads on it except for Spritzer, so that might be why you haven't gotten an answer. As you have probably read from this thread as of lately, there is some interest in trying this out, so many of us MKI owners do not have any experience.....yet.

Ahh thanks guys. Im slightyl interested in the Mk2 pads, not 100% sure yet though. If it's just a case of leather vs. not leather then not worth it for me, if the sonic differences make it lean more towards my tastes then i'd like to be in the group buy :). So i guess I need to hope spritzer provides his opinions

The Mk2 is cool but the A is what the BL should have been. :P Perhaps I should ask Bob if he could send my Mk2 to CJ so that I can mod it..

The comfort of the newer models is quite superior for my head. The Mk1 was never lacking but he Mk2/A is just moar bettah.

I already commented on the difference between the pads above, mostly it's just moar comfort but the bass also has more snap to it and slightly more presence.

I don't know any MKI owner that has MK2 pads on it except for Spritzer, so that might be why you haven't gotten an answer. As you have probably read from this thread as of lately, there is some interest in trying this out, so many of us MKI owners do not have any experience.....yet.

There is a member over at the other forum who has has MKII Pads on his MKI's. He feels that the OII pads make for a slightly darker and not as lively sound with the MKI OII's.

I have not tried the MKII pads on the MKI OII's myself yet, however.