The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

My aftermarket Smegmafied woodied Gamma Pro. That'll be harder to find than an HE60, so good luck with that.

Thanks HPA, I guess it's now up to smeggy he want to help me or not, do you have pics of it? what other thing you did to that beside woody?

Is a Gamma pro hard to find also?

Thanks HPA, I guess it's now up to smeggy he want to help me or not, do you have pics of it? what other thing you did to that beside woody?

Is a Gamma pro hard to find also?

I'll try to find the links to the photos around here somewhere. It took me a while to find a Gamma Pro. I bought one from Spritzer and then sold it a month later (I think to Smeggy) because I originally liked the SR-5 gold edition and SR-Lambda more than the stock Gamma Pro. And then when he agreed to build a Smegma Pro for me it took me a couple of months to find another pair for $350 + shipping from Australia, and after six months of not bugging him to get it done they were here. I also had to supply the O2 Mk1 pads, and shipping, for almost $600 total invested with shipping (not including an orthodynamic gift that I sent him to keep). The Smegma Pro is much better than stock and I now prefer it over the SR-5 gold edition or SR-Lambda. As a bonus, the Smegma Pro sounds better out of my Senn HEV70 amp in my bedroom rig than the HE60 do. I still listen to them after 14 months, with no intention of parting with them.

It may be easier to find a Koss ESP-950 and put a Stax PC-OCC cable on it. However that's more forward and aggressive than the HE60 or Smegma Pro, with a smaller soundstage to boot. I thought my APS modded 950's (bought from Spritzer) sounded a little bit like an electrostatic RS-1 (both gone now).

PS: Found a photo:

dsc7741ws6.jpg

my slightly sweaty shaved head?

Dood, I saw the photo of the 'back-of-the-head smiley man', that's not a shaved head, that's a bald head. :P

Not much does..however, the OII MKI's sound somewhat like the HD-800's qualities mixed with the L3000's qualities in certain areas. (Properly amped, of course)

Hmm, I kinda agree with this.

The 4070 equivalent might be the Qualia. Tonality and tonal balance seem similar to me. The Qualia does have a larger soundstage though.

Why all the back story?

And I demand to know, where was Blutarsky during all this?

The HE60 has its own sound and nothing else comes close. One might call the Lambda Signature a poor mans HE60 but they are rather different. Same deal with the SR-X Mk3 Pro, some similarities but very different over all.

My O2s though are farty as heck is that just the seal breaking against my slightly sweaty shaved head? Would replacement pads help or do I just need to sit still while I listen? Details abound with both of these Stax, I had hoped to sell one of them but may wind up keeping both for the moment...

The Mk2 pads might help since they breath a bit more. You also just get used to this strange behaviour with time. :)

My O2s though are farty as heck is that just the seal breaking against my slightly sweaty shaved head? Would replacement pads help or do I just need to sit still while I listen? Details abound with both of these Stax, I had hoped to sell one of them but may wind up keeping both for the moment...

The O2 mk1 manual says you can use some kind of gauze on the pads if its causing sweaty problems and it will fix it.

They were at one time cheaper, but last I've tried they didn't reply to email.

That's too bad. I know they were moving to a new location at some point last year so I wonder if that was the reason for lack of communication. Mind you, they still should have communicated since it's not like their e-mail address changed.

The HE60 has its own sound and nothing else comes close. One might call the Lambda Signature a poor mans HE60 but they are rather different.

I was just going to suggest the Lambda Signature, but I agree with the HE60 being quite unique. The HE60 overall sounds more controlled w/ less etch in the midrange. Its certainly a fun sounding headphone and i'd recommend you try and find an HE60 if thats what you're looking for instead of a Stax substitute.

Nums, there was some talk about a group buy, but Stax is rather twitchy about its parts. I'm not sure where the GB stands. Has anyone heard from Craig lately?

I still have not received any word from Craig about the group buy, but he last told me that hes still working on getting a discount from Stax. It doesn't look to likely because of the strict policies, but i'll update on this issue as soon as I receive any new information.

Hey, the 4070 is quite good! :D I haven't used it much, favoring other headphones instead, but after reading some positive things about it recently I decided to try using it exclusively for a week.

I've previously said that it wasn't one of my favorites, and how it is the headphone for people who want to feel like they're a DAC, receiving some kind of "digital feed." Well, apparently I'm one of those people!

With good recordings, the 4070 sounds absolutely glorious driven by a BHSE with Philips EL34 metal base tubes. I can hear everything! I'm inside the music!

It's like my outer ears grew another eight inches in diameter, the eardrums doubled in size and the number of detecting hairs tripled. I don't think I have good hearing, I would say I'm probably a bit below average due to age (Aargh, 40! It's the Middle Ages!). But with the 4070, you don't need good hearing to hear everything!

well so far the 007 has the 4070 beat in just about all categories. I could see maybe keeping both but I just don't know how often I'd really reach for the 4070s.

Looking at replacement pads for the 007s anyone know if bluetins are the new thicker 007a pads or am I just better off paying the extra $25 and going with AC ll and getting the thicker back 007a pads for sure.

well so far the 007 has the 4070 beat in just about all categories. I could see maybe keeping both but I just don't know how often I'd really reach for the 4070s.

Same exact problem I had with them and so many other great headphones. They are great but when am I going to use them...

Looking at replacement pads for the 007s anyone know if bluetins are the new thicker 007a pads or am I just better off paying the extra $25 and going with AC ll and getting the thicker back 007a pads for sure.

If the earpads are new stock, then they are the A/Mk2 model since the brown pads have been discontinued. Price is also a good indicator since the new pads are more expensive, roughly 8kYen compared to 6kYen for the old ones.

I believe this recent comparison/interest has mainly been one of comfort differences, not sonics. Sonic differences regarding the pads are largely dependent on not just the pad, but the way it interacts with the users head via the spring mechanism(diameter) and angle of the headband arc. How far your ears are from the drivers is where the preceived difference in sound comes from. I personally don't care about any possible quality increase in the sonics of the O2 when it comes to the pads as I love the way the MKI sounds, but rather the comfort due to the heat and sweat buildup the MKI pads cause.

Edit: I assume that you're talking about sonics/materials(real leather vs fake leather), as although comfort is also subjective, I would be hard pressed to find anyone who finds heat buildup and sweat to be the superior comfort choice. The MK2 pads were clearly more comfortable for me when I tried them myself. The material differences i'll leave for others to interpret.