The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Then my weak link at the moment you say is my Cambridge DacMagic? If so, then what recommendation(s) before I go the O2 route?

Knowing your rig, I'd say that the weak point in an O2 upgrade is the amp... when we tried your SRM-1/Mk2 with Djarum's O2s, the result was "so-so". I know you're getting a T1, but if it's as similar to the 006t as I think it may be, I wouldn't use it - I find the combination of 006t/O2 to have atrociously boomy bass. Of course, YMMV.

Next time we have a meet out this way, remind me and I'll bring the Parasound 1500 and a gamma2 for you to try out. One of the locals also has the PS Audio Perfectwave - it's a freaking beasty of a DAC!

The HD-800 tends to be, IMO, rather "just the facts maam" kind of cans, so if the facts are the gear is lacking at all, then so is the listening experience. I like how I've got them set up now, but I'm sure they suck in more rigs than they would be good in, and then there's the *cough* stock cable which I put back on the other day thinking it can't be that bad and it was even worse than I remembered it.

Anyway, I'm going in this week to nab the 404LTDs and was wondering if I should punish my wallet some more and get the matching amp...I'm thinking not as I'm going to build the eXStatA and KGSS soon anyway and it's not as if the T1 will be a bad match with it.

This affects a lot of things. I had a water pipe off at my house over the weekend. I accidentally installed the pipe backwards when I put it back.

Now the water tastes like Shit! And this ain't supposed to be a sewer line!

It's flat and has lost the sparkle and briskness it had before!

I reversed it back about an hour ago, and now I have Aquatic Nirvana back again. Whew, it was an unpleasant few days...

Next year I'm upgrading the house to 99.99999% OCC Copper, expensive but worth it, I've heard. ;)

Yep, gotta watch out when installing those directional pipes. Also, you have to make sure there's low turbulence in the water flow to make sure the water flows nicely in the optimal direction, for best taste.

Pipes just need enough time to adapt to the new direction of flow. All those minerals, oxidation, and nastiness that were built up against the against-the-flow side of the rough pipe surface inside get washed out when you reverse the flow, leaving a nasty taste until the water flows enough. You can help smooth the rough surface by cryo-treatment as well to not build up as much gunk and keep your water crystal clear. ;)

just curious folks.....lots of people said that JH13 or 16 is the best among IEM that can even beat stats. I know its not apple and oranges comparison but what would be equivalent sound capability of these JH's in terms of stats? I have read people comparing these with O2 and saying that it's up to par there. I did auditioned a universal JH13 once but not long enough to conclude. All I remember is yes they sounded very nice

Craig commented back in an email reply I received today. Heres what he said:

"Regarding the group buy on MK2 earpads -- so far nothing promising as we have not yet found an avenue to amass a large order like that without arousing STAX's suspicion/wrath. I'll keep seeing if there's any other way to do it, but as things stand now it's even hard for us to get normal orders for just a few parts at a time in with them."

:(

How times have changed, I placed an order for almost 100 sets back in 2007 with no issue at all. :(

What did you do with 100 sets of O2 pads? Sounds like a recipe for something crazy and wonderful. Also, I don't get why they are more concerned that the pads will go on possibly gray market headphones to the level that they would pass on a good sized sale.

What did you do with 100 sets of O2 pads? Sounds like a recipe for something crazy and wonderful. Also, I don't get why they are more concerned that the pads will go on possibly gray market headphones to the level that they would pass on a good sized sale.

They weren't all O2 pads but it did include 10 pairs, 5 SR-Omega pairs and a bunch of Lambda, Sigma and SR-X pads. :)

Is the description of the 404LE in the for sale thread over at HF accurate, or simply a bunch of bullshit in order to hype and sell it? Is it really that good?

FS: STAX 404 Limited Edition, 404LE 35th Anniversary - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

There is not much to say about these...they are a lightyear ahead of the 404 Signature in terms of sonics and cosmetics and a perfect companion to the O2. The have better bass extension, slam, and dynamics than any O2, have better detail up top when compared to an O2 Mk1 yet are smoother, and have a near perfect midrange presentation when compared to an O2 Mk2. Not to mention that they easily surpassed my HE60's in all regards.