The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I don't remember any midrange shouting either, but I'll have to give it a listen again. Wasn't too fond of it the first time I heard it... :/

That new Lambda is just a 404LE with a slightly different arc assembly that is nowhere near as nice as the 4070's.:palm: Maybe there are some improvements on the inside...

Birgir, the Lambda Pro I got from you sounds superb! Others that listen to it at the Fort Myers Meet thought the same. However I read a lot of posts that would make me think the Lambda Pro are not very good, what am I missing? Thanks.

The Lambda Pro is very, very good but I prefer the original SR-Lambda, Nova Signature over all. My issues with the L-Pro are the slightly uneven bass and treble response plus the midrange is a bit recessed. Without direct comparisons to the other models you would have a hard time spotting these but they are there.

But don't you miss anything from the technical point of view between those?

To me the deep-bass of the Lambda Pro extends quite a lot more than that of the normal Lambda; but from memory (has been a few months since we compared them side-by-side) that was the only apparent real difference.

Not speaking of frequency response here (that is always personal taste), just technical capabilities...

Don't remember too much of the LNS, did not like their sound back when I heard them so I did spend too much time with those..

The Lambda Pro does indeed sound quite close to the NB Lambda, with a slightly exaggerated but also more extended bass and treble that you wouldn't otherwise spot unless you had a NB Lambda to compare. The difference in extension wasn't too big in my opinion, between the NB and Pro, though I haven't heard either in awhile.

They say new materials in the drivers (not surprising).

Yep, with same (or similar) earpads and cabling as 404LTD. The headband now had 10-step adjustment - I'm wondering how well the new headband will fit those with gigantic head.

I think want.

It won't go on sale until 9/1/10 - you've got plenty of time to save up for them. >:D

Speaking of new product, I just noticed on Stax Japan site that they've stopped making SR-001Mk2 system. Has anyone heard whether or not they're replacing the portable system with something new or are they just pulling out of the portable market entirely? I apologize if this has been covered in this thread previously.

Birigr, can you think of any significance to the model number? Does Stax follow any specific naming convention?

I think this is just random or it could somehow factor into some new model scheme they are working on. I have no idea where the 4070 came from... :P

Is this a factory repaired SR-X Mk3? Never seen one with a flat cable by default.

Stax ★ ★ SR-X MARK3

I dunno but I placed a bid anyway... :D