The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The SR-Lambda is indeed the holy grail which reminds me, I think I have a set or two in Japan... :palm:

Doesn't the WEE use the crappy SFI sockets? Then it wouldn't be a problem to just add a voltage divider to the bias supply and turn one of the outputs into a normal bias one. You just need two resistors for the VD and a new ballast resistor for that output.

Well, I promised Blesseingx we will buy his LNS when the ear pads he ordered come in, and I sold my son's pair of SR-Lambda to pay for it.

My son Ben is infatuated with the WEE that he won at RMAF, and was willing to part with the SR-Lambda for a pro-bias pair. I'd always read that the LNS was better than the Lambda Sig. I'll PM blessingx a few questions about the LNS vs LS. My son liked my old Lambda Sig, but I thought it was a little bright or etched, so I thought we might try something else this time. Ben has my old HD600 and his own HF-2 that he also loves, so I'm guessing that he'll really like the LNS too. He did prefer the SR-Lambda to his dynamic phones, but enjoys them all.

The WEE that my son won in the raffle at RMAF is the pre-rpoduction that meets the final specs but without some of the silk screening, and not the lesser performing prototype version. To get normal bias Jack Wu would have had to start fresh because the raffle unit was already built, and I thought it would have been rude to ask him to change the bias. Since this is the first pre-production unit, I may have to open it to see if the board has epoxy or not.

I still have a spare set of luvdunhill teflon jacks, and maybe it's worth having them added and the bias modified...

Well, maybe I'm interpreting the pic of the interior wrong... But it looks it looks filled to me. But they have left the center terminal open on the SFI jacks but have Pro Bias on both jacks. :palm: Are you really surprised? Still seems asinine to me, I would have gladly paid $75 more for the Teflon jacks and both bias levels. Well, not really since I can build my own with much wider bandwidth and luvdunhill's jacks.

Yeah, exposed center pins is a very dumb move. Not as stupid as having exposed pins on the tube amp PSU but it is up there. A teflon jack like this from China would cost next to nothing and probably be cheaper than the WPI's...

As for the transformers, I sent the Lundahl boxes off for powdercoating today. I resisted the urge to do them bright red or something like that... ;D

Thanks. I think AudioCubes has the new 003s in stock since they note the new 1.5um diaphragm. I'm just glad the sales volume is low enough on them that Stax kept the housing the same so my tips will be interchangeable as well as the cables.

The 1.5um diaphragm was introduced in 1997 so that's nothing new. I think this is just the old model or did you contact them?

The 1.5um diaphragm was introduced in 1997 so that's nothing new. I think this is just the old model or did you contact them?

Stax is claiming that a new model 003 is released. The eBay seller states that it was a new model released in Dec. '09 in Japan. A few peeps linked to a Japanese site showing the new 003s earlier this year when the 507s were first made public. I have no idea when my 001s were made, but I'm trying to ensure I get this newest version of the 003s. I haven't talked to AudioCubes and will actually try to avoid them if at all possible.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It doesn't help things when I just got the notification to pay from Audez'e which I almost forgot since it has been a while. I seem to prefer the LCD2 to the Lambdas but not the O2.

I think I'll try the LCD2 for the time being and see how well it plays with the Beta22. If they still don't please me, I will go for the full Stax Omega route.

Heh.

I'm hoping to get started on the lambdapants soon with the sr lambda drivers purloined off Colin. I also still have some silicone putty which I might attempt a custom mold for the 003. I've been meaning to do it forever but it's difficult trying to mold your own ears with putty and an 003 by yourself. Should be messy and probably not work :) I would like to get them more comfy though as they are still damn fine wee phones.

Hey Smeggy, interested in comparing notes? I was going to create my custom ear mold by:

1) get ear impressions

2) cast the ear impressions in silicon putty

4) stick in acoustic tubing and fill the cavity with epoxy

5) after curing, coat the surface of the mold with hypo-allergenic lacquer for good measure.

Still need to find time to do my impressions, but I think I have the basic materials. How were you going to create your molds?

Heh.

I'm hoping to get started on the lambdapants soon with the sr lambda drivers purloined off Colin. I also still have some silicone putty which I might attempt a custom mold for the 003. I've been meaning to do it forever but it's difficult trying to mold your own ears with putty and an 003 by yourself. Should be messy and probably not work :) I would like to get them more comfy though as they are still damn fine wee phones.

One of these days I should do something with the spare SR-Sigma drivers and cable that I have...

Didn't you just say the HD580 is as good as your O2 setup?

The HD600 and HD650 driven balanced by a Beta22 are quite good.

Probably the largest improvement going from single-ended to balanced, a good value I think, and could even be competitive with an O2/717 setup or another somesuch amp.

Sennheiser Rules! Yes, I'm very brave, I shout this here!

Yup. I had to add the 120V wires to the transformer and clear out some excess solder but it is pretty easy, at least on the unit I had

Spritzer, you didn't actually add new coils to the transformer, right? You just found the stubs of the coils which are intended for 120 volt use that they cut off in Japan, and hooked into them, right?

Probably the largest improvement going from single-ended to balanced, a good value I think, and could even be competitive with an O2/717 setup or another somesuch amp.

:D HD600 is better than HD650, but not as good as Stax. I listened to the HE60 off the purple heatsink Exstata at CJ and it sounded like crap. Don't remember how the HE90 sounds.

:ian: My hero. We were missing you Elephas ;)

Sennheiser and Stax rule. Period. The rest but for a couple of Grado models, is easily prescindible ;D

Yup. I'm crazy but not that crazy... :) Some of the amps are just missing the lead wires (but the mounting studs are in place on the transformer) so it is just a matter of adding the correct colors. Some of the amps do have the windings cut inside the protective plastic and that can be a pain to repair.