The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Yup. I'm crazy but not that crazy... :) Some of the amps are just missing the lead wires (but the mounting studs are in place on the transformer) so it is just a matter of adding the correct colors. Some of the amps do have the windings cut inside the protective plastic and that can be a pain to repair.

Cheers, thanks.

Hahaha, prescindible actually seems like it could be an actual word. Man, kids these days, "I'll go off and google," sheesh, what happened to wasting 10 minutes of life flipping through a 12 pound slab of dictionary trying to find a non-word?

HE60 and HE90 sound really good too, but very different from HD6x0. It's sometimes kind of puzzling to think they're made by the same company, plus the HD800 too. HE60's fast and clean sound can be intoxicating, while the HE90's larger than life sound can be very pleasurably addictive.

I have an old Airbow SR-SC1 that would do for testing amps with, if only I actually knew something about testing amps.

Hahaha, prescindible actually seems like it could be an actual word. Man, kids these days, "I'll go off and google," sheesh, what happened to wasting 10 minutes of life flipping through a 12 pound slab of dictionary trying to find a non-word?

HE60 and HE90 sound really good too, but very different from HD6x0. It's sometimes kind of puzzling to think they're made by the same company, plus the HD800 too. HE60's fast and clean sound can be intoxicating, while the HE90's larger than life sound can be very pleasurably addictive.

I have an old Airbow SR-SC1 that would do for testing amps with, if only I actually knew something about testing amps.

LOLz, I happen to use on Chrome the orthographic corrector, so when I use a "too latin" word it complains, then I need to choose a more Saxon option. It complained with prescindible, then I googled to find it's actually an English word with the same meaning :o Then I decided to leave it hehehehe :indra:

I haven't listened to the HE-60 or 90, but I suppose they have more virtues than flaws and quite possible none of the flaws is a deal breaker, which IMHO is one of the virtues of Sennheiser.

Yep, Espanol pronunciation Preh sin di bleh makes better sense than Ingles.

Yep, HE60 and HE90 have many virtues and few flaws. But, compared to well-driven O2mk1 or O2mk2 (by Blue Hawaii or somesuch amp), those seemingly few flaws suddenly become glaring. Even HE90+Aristaeus, as sublime as it can be, becomes flawed. If you have and like O2, I suggest focusing upon la amplificaci

hehehe, Spanish (in Spain not Center and South America) pronunciation is more like pres-thin-dee-bleh, though in many areas of the south and Canary Islands they would pronounce it as you said.

Completely agree, it's easier spotting flaws on something when you have a high quality reference than when you're left on your own. Very few people have an innate idea on how things should sound. I have yet to try the O2 on a high quality amp. My only decent Stax amp is the 717 and it's now in the UK awaiting some parts to be repaired :( One of these days I might try a KGSSHV, BH or anything in that range. A matter of patience I guess...

Yep, HE60 and HE90 have many virtues and few flaws. But, compared to well-driven O2mk1 or O2mk2 (by Blue Hawaii or somesuch amp), those seemingly few flaws suddenly become glaring. Even HE90+Aristaeus, as sublime as it can be, becomes flawed. If you have and like O2, I suggest focusing upon la amplificaci

Yep, Espanol pronunciation Preh sin di bleh makes better sense than Ingles.

Hi everyone, I just bought a normal bias SRD-7 modified into pro bias. It sounds a bit strange through the Lambda. The sound is a seemingly out of phase and clipped on the highest frequency. Tried different amps, and the results are similar. The mod board has a head-case logo on it and labeled Mjolnir Audio.

I suspect it was wired and soldered incorrectly by the previous owner :palm: as it is not wired according to the color code for the R-channel input. Here is the picture of the insides:

5249831799_4fd6f81375.jpg

Could anybody who has experience with this board confirm if it is indeed wired incorrectly?

Many thanks in advance.

Amen brother!!! :) I can safely say that ECC99's in a SRM-T1 do not make it good enough for the SR-007 but it was a lot of fun to feed it low input and crank the volume. A regular T1 would not have liked that...

I had some fun trying 6SN7-GTB and Treasure CV171 in the SRM-T1W, although there was also worry about the amp blowing up. But hey, if I'm brave enough to operate an SP ES1...

The HE60 and HE90 really sound great, I like them a lot. But with more and more time listening to the O2 (over three years now, and over one year with the BHSE) I'm more and more easily annoyed by their "flaws" in comparison and can't seem to listen to the Senns for extended periods of time. It's sad.

When does the DIY T2 arrive? :indra:

I intelligently stayed away from that craziness, I'm so happy. :D

Hi everyone, I just bought a normal bias SRD-7 modified into pro bias. It sounds a bit strange through the Lambda. The sound is a seemingly out of phase and clipped on the highest frequency. Tried different amps, and the results are similar. The mod board has a head-case logo on it and labeled Mjolnir Audio.

I suspect it was wired and soldered incorrectly by the previous owner :palm: as it is not wired according to the color code for the R-channel input. Here is the picture of the insides:

5249831799_4fd6f81375.jpg

Could anybody who has experience with this board confirm if it is indeed wired incorrectly?

Many thanks in advance.

That's not one done by me. I designed those boards and that loop through setup works with only one version of the SRD-7's so I dropped it on later versions of the boards. My advice would be to move the wires so that the colors are correct or clean up the over all wiring inside the box and connect the transformers directly to the binding posts on the back of the unit. This would remove the switching setup and the umbilical but also results in a purer signal path where signal and power lines aren't mixed together. That's what I do to all the unit's I've modded plus installing better binding posts on the back.

I had some fun trying 6SN7-GTB and Treasure CV171 in the SRM-T1W, although there was also worry about the amp blowing up. But hey, if I'm brave enough to operate an SP ES1...

The 6SN7 and 6CG7 are the same so no issues with swapping them. The ECC99 is more like the ECC83 and similar variations.

The HE60 and HE90 really sound great, I like them a lot. But with more and more time listening to the O2 (over three years now, and over one year with the BHSE) I'm more and more easily annoyed by their "flaws" in comparison and can't seem to listen to the Senns for extended periods of time. It's sad.

Welcome to my world.

hi glacier, it was already a long time, but as far as I can remember it is because the input wire is switched, from the table on the left, black and red input wire is R+ and R- respectively, thus the yellow transformer input is wired to black and vice versa, I really don't remember why I did it, but easy way to test if the wiring is out of phase is to switch the wiring form the speaker output,