The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I would only call the 009 the O3 if STAX refers to them in their literature as Omega 3 as they did in the past with the Omega 2/SR-007. To me, the SR-009 seems more similar to an improved Omega then the O2 did. I'm more interested on what affect these will have on the price of the original Omega then the O2 myself. Based on the large price gap, I don't know how much I'd wager on a huge impact on current O2 prices.

The price of old 70's receivers is unbelievable.

i had a couple of old Marantz units I paid $5 and $20 for.

When I got tired of looking at them, I put them up on craigslist

And almost got run over by a stampede. There are old units worth

the Big $$$, and then there's just old stuff. When did "vintage"

replace "tired old crap"? There's some really great old gear out there,

but much of this stuff isn't it. At minimum, it's going to need re-capping.

The sr40 setup does sound good, with no balance issues at all.

The earpads are flat, and it doesn't look like I'll be replacing them anytime soon.

I use the extension cord(5 or 6 pin style) and sometimes use the sr40 for testing.

Very true but have you thought why? :blink:

It because people have realised this stuff can sound great when refurbished and likely to last another 30 years :D

Unlike this Chinese crap that breaks in a couple of years and you cant get repaired. I've got several 70's and 80's amps and receivers and have no intention parting with them

So, you are not selling the SR-507 anymore?

Ok no offense Larry but what part of "What Happens in Head-Case stays in Head-Case" don't you understand? This isn't the first time this has happened either, please stop doing it. Also you could have seen that the answer to your question was plainly obvious before you asked it.

Edited by Asr

Ok no offense Larry but what part of "What Happens in Head-Case stays in Head-Case" don't you understand? This isn't the first time this has happened either, please stop doing it. Also you could have seen that the answer to your question was plainly obvious before you asked it.

Okay, look, it's really hard to keep up with what's secret and public with you; so I'm just going to have to write you off as not existing and then I can't ever say anything that you don't want said.

I'm thinking that, until I have space to put a drill press and whatnot to do case work and build gear, that I might just be lazy and plug for a 727 and do the mod or SRM-600LTD. However, they show up as the same price. I gather that the 727 modded amounts to much the same as a KGSSHV and the SRM-600 is a T1S with more grunt. Either sounds appealing to me. Should I particularly go for one or the other or would I be splitting hairs?

Stax experts: help!!

Yesterday evening, I could no longer hear any sound from my 727A/O2 rig. Just a faint sound when pushing the volume all the way up.

I tried the following without success:

- Switched the source

- Power off, power on

- Unplug / replug the phone

- Plug the phone into the other outlet

What's wrong doc??

One thing though, the potentiomer was almost maxed out when I got home and my 1 year old is developping a taste for audio as of late, in particular volume controls and power switches.....

Thanks in advance for any advice or idea of what might have happened

Hi, you mean a fuse that would be in line with the headphone drive (polarization or the balanced signal)?

If it's about the 100V main power supply fuse, I doubt it's blown because internal and external leds and all bright and shiny upon power the amp.

Furthermore, I can hear the sound from the source at max volume, except it's very muted. So, the transducer is being fed something.

Could it be a problem with the polarization circuit?

I'll check again tonight, I did very do a check there too though (flipping the xlr / rca source selection switch).

One thing I haven't tried though: i have a passive source selector before the amp as I have multiple sources. Indeed, the problem could be there! Thanks for the tip

After all, it looks like the amp simply activated the headphone protection circuit and I did not power it off long enough yesterday night to reset it. It's all working just fine tonight!

Does any know if turning off and on the amp with the headphones plugged and volume near maxed out would make it go into protection mode?

Furthermore, in case my daughter manages again to sneak into the room, would it be better to turn the amp on / off daily and unplug the phones everytime? i.e. in case it's the scenario above, is that really bad for the headphone and / or the amp?

I always keep the amp on and the phone plugged because I thought I read somewhere it takes quite some time to fully polarize the membrane and make it run optimally... If this is just unfounded audiophiliac paranoia, then I surely can do with the power off and unplugging when not in use...

cheers,

arnaud