The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

From what I gathered it seems the SR-Omega has less detail and slightly less bass extension and not as pin sharp imaging-wise. But nevertheless the guy who bought my pair seem to prefer it to the SR-009 sound-wise so maybe I should have got a good amp for it instead of selling it.

Edited by padam

It's been several weeks of ownership for me, and my opinion of the 009 has not changed a bit even now that the new toy syndrome phase is over. I could be wrong but I really don't believe the sense of resolution / details comes exclusively from the brighter nature of the phone relative to my O2 mk2. The best way I can express it is in the texture of cymbal sounds. This is something shocking when you hear drums live and the 009 is the closest I've ever heard. Fake treble boost can't help to resolve cymbals. You need speed, extension, and so on.

Now, I don't have the chance to possess a bhse or diy T2 like some (most?) of you, but the experience is already sublime out of a stock 727, WHEN fed with quality recording and source...

I got PS2 Jecklin 'stats that you can borrow for an indeterminate amount of time if you agree to refurb them.

Edit: I also have a good number of Lambdas, SR-X Mk3 Pro, used to have a SR-5NB, and still have tons of non-Stax 'stats.

The SR-5NB is still one of my favorite budget headphones, along with the SR-Lambda.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering about the comparison between SR-009 and SR-007 Mk2 SZ3. I've read up here, but it's rarely explicit whether the comparison is with SZ2 or SZ3. I believe Arnaud's SR-007 is SZ2, and he says SR-009 is brighter. Padam says the same but I don't know what sort of SR-007 he has.

Has anyone compared SZ3 with SR-009 yet (while we wait for Spritzer to receive his SR-009)? I'm curious whether the brightness of SZ3 is more or the same as SR-009.

I got a Stax SR-3New, refurbished with 5n drivers in 1986 and a SRD5 transformer for about $92 delivered. I drive it with a Hogan 26/300b amp with AC heated DHT's and a Stax SRD7SB. Doggone thing is wonderful. I have Stax Lambda normal bias and can't say that it is better. The bass on the SR3/5n is so taut and fast, it makes up for the relative lack of impact. The normal bias Lambda is more spacious, but not as detailed and a bit more diffuse, if more impactful in the bass.

I can easily afford the more expensive Stax and thought I might get an O2 or even an 009, but nobody seems satisfied with any of the alpha expensivos anyway, I decided just to enjoy the lowly 3/5n and Lamdas and forget about the pain in the ass alphas, I don't really know if I am missing anything.

There is something to be said about the old units. I've been using my mint SR-1's for a week now off a cheap T-amp and one of my transformer solutions. Lovely sound. :)

I would recommend you source some SR-007 earpads as they made the sets much more comfortable. There is a difference to the sound but I for one quite like it.

I got a Stax SR-3New, refurbished with 5n drivers in 1986 and a SRD5 transformer for about $92 delivered. I drive it with a Hogan 26/300b amp with AC heated DHT's and a Stax SRD7SB. Doggone thing is wonderful. I have Stax Lambda normal bias and can't say that it is better. The bass on the SR3/5n is so taut and fast, it makes up for the relative lack of impact. The normal bias Lambda is more spacious, but not as detailed and a bit more diffuse, if more impactful in the bass.

I can easily afford the more expensive Stax and thought I might get an O2 or even an 009, but nobody seems satisfied with any of the alpha expensivos anyway, I decided just to enjoy the lowly 3/5n and Lamdas and forget about the pain in the ass alphas, I don't really know if I am missing anything.

I wouldn't say no one is satisfied. I'm not looking for anything else. It also looks like the price is going up across the board on used STAX gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can anyone tell me how the drivers are fixed in the Lambda Nova Signatures? Are they glued in or is some type of sticky pad used? On one side the driver seems to resting against the side of the casing. It does not appear to be loose or rattling around but obviously not located in the right place.

Thanks Spritzer, is this the same type of double sided tape you use for fixing floor covering? like a strong duct tape

Are there any instructions/images on the forum on how to dismantle the LNS to re-fix the driver?

Presume i have to take the earpads off and as luck would have it just fitted a brand new pair of earpads :angry:

All Lambda drivers prior to the new series are fixed in place with double sided tape.

Since I have spare SR-007 Mk1 drivers (who hasn't... ;)) I'll probably try a driver transplant and see if the drivers are at fault here.

Is there any way to source these? I believe my squealing SR007 need new drivers and I'm too afraid to send the pair to yamas. I fear they'll just put on mk2 drivers, charge me a whole bunch of money, and you'll all have to witness a grown man crying.

That would be no idea on both accounts. I've stopped using the double sided tape in favor of polyurethane glue.

As for the SR-007 drivers, it's just one of these things that I get offered from random people. Odds are though that replacements would be Mk2 parts which sound like poo... :(

You mean this sort of stuff ? Titebond

This might sound a silly question but how do you remove it in future if you have to? A lot of scraping :D

That would be no idea on both accounts. I've stopped using the double sided tape in favor of polyurethane glue.

Hoo boy. Crackpotted "photo blogger" Ken Rockwell, who reviewed the Sennheiser 800s a while back is now taking a stab at the 007 MK2s.

"

Watch for High Voltage when unplugging the headphones from an adapter, energizer or amplifier.

It seems easy to grab the pins by accident as you insert or remove the plug from a socket, and if you touch them while energized, you may get a jolt of 580 Volts.

Beware: these voltages stay in this equipment for a long time, even when unplugged. Be careful!

"

What a tool.

They're lousy, don't buy one.

Impulse curtailed.

Edited by Duggeh