The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

laugh.png

That's something even I know! And I know next to nothing about the technicalities of audio!

Well, he did build himself a pair of speakers so I reckon he does have DIY skills of some sort, although I don't know about more elaborate electronics, which I think is the case with an energizer. Well, I'll check it out with him anyways, but even if he happens to have no clue about the issue I'm sure I'll be fine since I dont regularly listen to loud music.

Thanks again, Birgir!

Assuming somebody knows something just based on their education isn't a very good way to go. Take my EE Phd. cousin who had no idea how a dynamic speaker worked... facepalm.png

This is hilarious! To be fair though, the deeper you go in a given field the more focused you get and the more you loose ground on reality... That doesn't mean you should forget the basis though ;).

On a similar level, I've met bright technicians and terrible PhD (not meaning your cousin does not earn his PhD ... unless he's the same person who confused the K-1000 with an ES can over at HF in the sr-009 thread from Jude, lol ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like sticking up for the sometimes maligned SR-007MK2 (2.5 actually - the SZ3 series). Having lived with it for a couple of years more or less, I have found it ideal for my needs. It does not have perfect frequency balance, as has often been pointed out. But it is very, very good and has all the other sonic virtues of TOTL electrostatic headphones.

Where it excels beyond other high end phones, for my old ears at least, is its forgiving nature. It brings out the best in everything rather than accentuating faults. Give it a crappy recording, within reason, and it sound as good as can possibly sound. Give it better material and it rises to the occasion. I am not aware of any other high end phone that sounds this good and is also completely forgiving of less than perfect recordings.

I have a feeling that it was a deliberate balance of compromises, not a botched reworking of an almost perfect design. I will follow with interest the 009 to see where it fits in re: forgiving nature. I know it must sound great, but if it is not forgiving I may not have much use for it. I listen to a lot of music, and I can't put up with my gear dictating what I listen to. The music is the whole point, not the equipment.

Almost unrelated, the SR-007MK2 is the most comfortable phone I have ever worn. I guess I have a Japanese head, size and shape wise.

Is there any way to source these? I believe my squealing SR007 need new drivers and I'm too afraid to send the pair to yamas. I fear they'll just put on mk2 drivers, charge me a whole bunch of money, and you'll all have to witness a grown man crying.

As for the SR-007 drivers, it's just one of these things that I get offered from random people. Odds are though that replacements would be Mk2 parts which sound like poo... sad.gif

From yamas: "There is only 1 driver for both MK1 and MK2 and cost is approx. $1800."

Anyone have some lube? Apparently replacing the drivers on my mk1 to make it an ugly mk2 will cost more than buying another mk1.

Edited by DouglasQuaid

• 5 weeks later...

I've been testing out some theories with my SR-007's recently and it is quite clear that the odd sound of the SZ3 versions is all due to the drivers. I just swapped some late Mk1 drivers into my Mk2 set and the sound is completely different. Gone is the hard, forward edge of the SZ3 and this one sounds just like my Mk1. I decided to make the comparison fair so the port is plugged but only Mk2 parts were used aside from the drivers.

I wouldn't recommend the driver swap since I had to modify the drivers a little bit and there are no spares anywhere if one messes up... embarrassed.gif The shape of the Mk1 drivers is also just a little bit different so they don't rotate as freely as they should. Small issue for me and some might even welcome it.

I've been testing out some theories with my SR-007's recently and it is quite clear that the odd sound of the SZ3 versions is all due to the drivers. I just swapped some late Mk1 drivers into my Mk2 set and the sound is completely different. Gone is the hard, forward edge of the SZ3 and this one sounds just like my Mk1. I decided to make the comparison fair so the port is plugged but only Mk2 parts were used aside from the drivers.

I wouldn't recommend the driver swap since I had to modify the drivers a little bit and there are no spares anywhere if one messes up... embarrassed.gif The shape of the Mk1 drivers is also just a little bit different so they don't rotate as freely as they should. Small issue for me and some might even welcome it.

What was the effect of the driver swap alone? Did it give a Mk,1 or Mk2 sound? If you change both the port and the driver at the same time you can't say how much is due to one or the other?

The effect of the port is well documented so that isn't really an issue. I also manipulate the arcs so that the port isn't a big deal even without it being sealed.

The end result of Mk1 drivers in a Mk2 frame is just a Mk1 with more pronounced bass. That being the effect of the deeper earpads.

Assuming somebody knows something just based on their education isn't a very good way to go. Take my EE Phd. cousin who had no idea how a dynamic speaker worked... facepalm.png That said, somebody with DIY experience should have no problem doing this.

The effect of the port is well documented so that isn't really an issue. I also manipulate the arcs so that the port isn't a big deal even without it being sealed.

The end result of Mk1 drivers in a Mk2 frame is just a Mk1 with more pronounced bass. That being the effect of the deeper earpads.

I think your cousin would understand that to detremine the effect of a variable you must change only one thing at a time It's sometimes called isolating a variable.

In this case you have confounded your variables such that you can't say what part of what you hear is due to the contribution of the port or of the driver. Now you say the sound with the replacement driver is not actually the same as the Mk1 and you add yet another explanatory factor, the ear-pad which I must assume is the Mk2 pad..

I think the bass boost is caused by your sealing the port. I have sealed the port of my 007A and it didn't just give a "more pronounced bass" it gave a huge bass boost. So it may be that the Mk1 replacement driver could even have less bass in the Mk2 case.

However there is nothing to be gained by speculation when it is easy enough to test by unplugging the port.

• 3 weeks later...

The SR-Omega is yummy but one can only wonder what it would sound like if Stax spent more then 10000Yen on the bloody chassis. Ohhh and add SR-009 earpads... I guess I need to start to learn Autocad. :)

Just picked up the SR-X Mk3 PRO up from an extended loan and bloody hell these are amazing headphones. I've got to compare them side by side against the HP-2's but I think the Stax easily wins that comparison.

I read a post elsewhere that mentioned "obvious" quality control differences between O2 mk1s. I have not noticed such differences. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've owned more than most and they are all pretty much identical. Stax did change out some materials during the 9 year production run so early earpads and headpads are a bit different and the driver frame was changed as well but these a minor alterations. The sound is pretty much the same on all sets as long as you provide a level playing field by using the same earpads, similar arc's etc. There are some slight differences between driver sets but nothing to get worried about. I'd chalk this up as obvious BS... :)

• 2 weeks later...