The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Thanks Birgir, what about the fit/confort with the new headpad/arch its about the same ?

The elastic on the new ones is much stronger and they have this new material underneath the headpad but I for one prefer the Mk1 fit over the long run. I'm a proud member of team melon-head though... :)

The elastic on the new ones is much stronger and they have this new material underneath the headpad but I for one prefer the Mk1 fit over the long run. I'm a proud member of team melon-head though... smile.png

The elastics on new O2s are super strong. Took me a while to get used to the one on my new SR-007BL

You know, after thinking about it, maybe I'm just gonna sell off some gear and buy the SR-009 after all. I thought the SR-009 were kind of like a warmer sounding HE-60, with a better foundation in the low end, almost like a combination of the 007 and HE-60 all in one phone. So I could part with the HE-60 and not worry about wonky Sennheiser service, or running out of replacement parts like ear-pads, headband pads, O-rings and drivers.

Although I came out of RMAF thinking the less costly LCD-3 was a bigger bang for the buck, I did think the SR-009 sounded a little more transparent and disappeared better than the LCD-3. I know a difference in sources and amping can affect this apples to oranges comparison; but even if the right source and amp could make the LCD-3 into a 009 I don't plan to convert from my PWD/ZDT combo (which I think is pretty close to most of the rigs that I heard at RMAF with LCD-3). Basically, if I could achieve in my own home what I heard at the Woo or Cavalli Audio tables with the 009, then I would be very happy. Plus I didn't think the LCD-3 were as comfortable as the 009, so there is another deduction.

I would keep the 007 for when I want a mellower or more laid back sound, depending on my mood. But next year I might sell the WES for a Liquid Lightning which paired great with 009, and I feel also paired better with the 007 than my WES. I'd at least upgrade my WES to the newer version if that didn't pan out, but upgrading the WES would cost me about the same out of pocket as selling the WES and adding in extra cash to buy the Liquid Lightning. Some might say that's like adding lipstick to a pig. Either way, I'll keep the KGSS for my bedroom rig instead of the eXStatA.

I've been using the 009 a lot lately and most of the time it is great but sometimes I get quite frustrated with them. I think Stax messed up the voicing (as they did with the SZ3 007's, SR-404 etc.) so the sound becomes strident when you start to push them. The SR-Omega and 007Mk1's are simply smoother sounding so more forgiving of louder volume levels and non-sanctioned music choices... :) The 009 will stay put though since I don't need the money and they are very comfy, perfect for playing games for hours on end. :)

I do have one card yet to play but it won't be cheap, build a 009 type chassis for my SR-Omega drivers. PEEK surround milled to perfection which would then be clamped between two aluminum slabs...

Any of you guys heard the 007 MKI with the neko DAC ?

I'm looking for a new dac and I got to listen to it from the European Program and I though it was really good with my audio physic sparkle speakers which are a bit aggressive in nature but with the violometricV200->LCD2 honestly it was to dark.

I though I would never say this, since I find pretty much everything bright but it happened. This could be due to the amp but I'm not sure.. I would be using it with a KGSSHV.

Since the 007 is known as a dark headphone(even though the Z3 was dam bright) I'm afraid it will be like the lcd2 experience.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

Any of you guys heard the 007 MKI with the neko DAC ?

I'm looking for a new dac and I got to listen to it from the European Program and I though it was really good with my audio physic sparkle speakers which are a bit aggressive in nature but with the violometricV200->LCD2 honestly it was to dark.

I though I would never say this, since I find pretty much everything bright but it happened. This could be due to the amp but I'm not sure.. I would be using it with a KGSSHV.

Since the 007 is known as a dark headphone(even though the Z3 was dam bright) I'm afraid it will be like the lcd2 experience.

I've heard the O2 with the Neko DAC and thought it sounded good.

Any of you guys heard the 007 MKI with the neko DAC ? I'm looking for a new dac and I got to listen to it from the European Program and I though it was really good with my audio physic sparkle speakers which are a bit aggressive in nature but with the violometricV200->LCD2 honestly it was to dark. I though I would never say this, since I find pretty much everything bright but it happened. This could be due to the amp but I'm not sure.. I would be using it with a KGSSHV. Since the 007 is known as a dark headphone(even though the Z3 was dam bright) I'm afraid it will be like the lcd2 experience.

If you have a KGSSHV, the SR-007 mk1 won't be too dark I don't believe. I heard the Neko with the DNA Sonett and HD-650 (also known to be dark typically) and really really liked it. I want one for my KGSSHV and O2 mk1 myself.

I think Stax messed up the voicing (as they did with the SZ3 007's, SR-404 etc.) so the sound becomes strident when you start to push them. The SR-Omega and 007Mk1's are simply smoother sounding so more forgiving of louder volume levels and non-sanctioned music choices...

"Messed up" is kind of strong words, but I do think the guys who did the voicing at Stax were likely a little older with probable high-frequency hearing loss, which is no problem since the SR-009 should continue to sound better and better as the owner ages more and more grin.gif

"Messed up" is kind of strong words, but I do think the guys who did the voicing at Stax were likely a little older with probable high-frequency hearing loss, which is no problem since the SR-009 should continue to sound better and better as the owner ages more and more grin.gif

Probably why I am so pleased with my SZ3s. I'm a senior citizen, and an incident many years ago with a guitar amp - as a roadie - damaged my right ear HF capability as well.

I've been using the 009 a lot lately and most of the time it is great but sometimes I get quite frustrated with them. I think Stax messed up the voicing (as they did with the SZ3 007's, SR-404 etc.) so the sound becomes strident when you start to push them. The SR-Omega and 007Mk1's are simply smoother sounding so more forgiving of louder volume levels and non-sanctioned music choices... smile.png The 009 will stay put though since I don't need the money and they are very comfy, perfect for playing games for hours on end. smile.png

I do have one card yet to play but it won't be cheap, build a 009 type chassis for my SR-Omega drivers. PEEK surround milled to perfection which would then be clamped between two aluminum slabs...

I was expecting the SR-Ω to be really bright, they are pretty nice tonally. Interesting phones, I haven't figured out how they have that "big" sound without any upper mid or treble emphasis.

Not really. When you lose hairy cells at some areas in your cochlea, recruitment appears. This phenomenon consists of an augmented perception, distorted and even painful of the frequencies you're hearing worse, because adjacent hairy cells to the ones lost, get stimulated. So if you don't hear well above 8KHz, sounds at that frequency and above may produce a disagreeable perception once the cells specialized on other frequencies get "recruited" and produce a perception which isn't like the normal sound. So some people claiming they have a tiny ear for treble, they may be developing recruitment for a hearing loss on high frequencies.

This is typical of people who can keep a normal conversation on silent environments, but once there's too much noise around, they won't understand their interlocutor.

I've been using the 009 a lot lately and most of the time it is great but sometimes I get quite frustrated with them. I think Stax messed up the voicing (as they did with the SZ3 007's, SR-404 etc.) so the sound becomes strident when you start to push them. The SR-Omega and 007Mk1's are simply smoother sounding so more forgiving of louder volume levels and non-sanctioned music choices... :) The 009 will stay put though since I don't need the money and they are very comfy, perfect for playing games for hours on end. :)

My HE-60 also start to sound strident when pushed to loud volumes. I do agree the 007 are more forgiving, as are my LNS.

I'm working on a more low profile amp that doubles as a space heater (see DIY build pic thread)... Perhaps you could somehow conduct the heat into a blanket or something for those cold CO nights :)

Yeah. We've had the heated blanket turned on a few nights this year already. We still keep the house at 62F at night, although my wife thinks we should drop it to 58-60 to conserve more energy. The KGSS heat won't be a problem in the winter, and is better than the ZDT for the summers. I'll check out your new project.

Torpedo, is that referred to as hyperacusis?....

Not exactly. On hyperacusis there's no hearing loss at any frequency (or there shouldn't be to be considered as true hyperacusis), while for recruitment phenomenon to happen there must be hairy cells loss, thus hearing loss at some frequencies, usually above 4-8KHz.

It's quite common having a notch loss around 4Hz when hearing loss is due to excessive noise exposure, so recruitment can be very selective.