The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I’ve never considered the β22 shelved down or dark.

Same.

Compared to the Dynalo (GS-1), Dynamid (GS-X) or Dynahi it was to my ears, regardless of headphones. It is a very nice sounding (warm and musical amp), but not the last word with regards to transparency.

Edited by Audiojunkie

The "GS-X equivalent" I'm speaking of isn't DIY, it's a Headamp's Gilmore Reference, which is the same balanced circuit of the GS-X but with some differences in components and such. Justin may say way better.

If you're referring to the B22, then yes, however it's a well known circuit which a lot of people builds on kit boards using the same sourced parts. If made right, should sound very much the same I guess. However my experience is very limited, I've only listened to mine and a friend's one, made by a professional builder. I think they sound quite similar, being the differences more attributable to the source used than anything else. Both, the B22 and the GS are quite good showing upstream components differences, and can drive about anything.

Can you post some pics of the plug? Most of these have some solid core which is then covered in plastic material so if you can simply peal off the cover, install new wires and then glue it all back together again then it wouldn't be too hard.

I loved my SRX MkIII Pro when I had it. I just wished it was more comfortable as it killed my ears and head wearing it. I preferred it to even a 507.

I think with new pads it is not obtrusive at all, I will probably wrap the headband with something, for me that will be enough.

It still sounds marvelous, it is detailed but in a natural way, not overly emphasizing or focusing on anything.

Maybe because it is supra-aural my protruding ears don't have a chance to distort the sound?

I am starting to get very interested in the 4070s now, a real pity that Stax has completely killed off the studio line...

Edited by padam

Does anyone know if SR009 dis-assembly (removal of earpads and driver unit) is any different from the 007? I doubt getting to the stators or diaphragm will be necessary. A friend on mine on HF somehow had ants crawl through the cable entry:

I blow on it, hoping it will get dislodged, and it did - but out now come tens of ants, if not over one hundred. Like Ellen Ripley in Aliens I realized in horror that I finally found the nest of ants - in my SR-009.

Anyways, since I don't have my 009s anymore, I was wondering if they are similar to the 007s in terms of opening up the cable entry and a removing a couple of screws to get the driver assembly out of the frame. I assume the 009s have the dust covers just like the 007. Any helpful pics would be appreciated.

I wonder if STAX used some kind of sauce on the diaphragm or dust covers of the 009 that attracts ants.

Edited by purrin

Can you post some pics of the plug? Most of these have some solid core which is then covered in plastic material so if you can simply peal off the cover, install new wires and then glue it all back together again then it wouldn't be too hard.

Sorry for the late reply, but here they are:

post-183-0-84019400-1338006536_thumb.jpgpost-183-0-99743700-1338006581_thumb.jpgpost-183-0-67384700-1338006588_thumb.jpgpost-183-0-56179000-1338006595_thumb.jpgpost-183-0-97610900-1338006601_thumb.jpg

After the headphones have been properly charged up, the highs aren't wooly anymore and I'd describe these headphones as a more pleasant sounding SR-Xmk3 pro. Tracks which I couldn't really stomach on my staxes sound a lot nicer on these, possibly because the penta-shaped driver has fewer innate resonance peaks? Mind you, all of these impressions are still being based off a Lepai 2.1 amp driving the ECA-80.

That does look an awful lot like a 6 pin din with a different collar. That would be my first place to look as you can get nice metal ones for not a whole lot of cash.

It's hard to compare these with the Stax since the design is so vastly different. I'd also venture a guess that the actual diaphragm material and its tension is far more important than the pentagon stuff.

• 2 weeks later...