The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Arnaud, it generally looks like you did a good job.

Here is some feedback on your questions. Feel free to ignore it if you do not agree.

1. A1 and A2 are really the same question. Either combine them into one question or eliminate A2.

2. I would eliminate question B3 altogether or replace it with a question like "Does stax design earspeakers with a target frequency response in mind?"

3. Maybe change B4 to ask "Can you describe the design process for your amplifiers."

4. B6 and B7 can be combined into one question. Just add an "and" between them.

5. C1, C2, and C3 don't seem all that important and might be trade secrets. I would consider cutting them.

6. D1 change "Can you share" to "Will there be." D2 and D3 also seem to be asking this same question over again. I'd eliminate them.

7. With E1 eliminate the entire first sentence.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the resistor mod on the 727. Spritzer was right; those little glued-on surface mount resistors were a pain; however, I was able to get them off without lifting a pad or burning anything.

Pared with SR-407s, so far (really just buttoned up), less fatiguing at higher volumes, less euphoric-leaning, more focused; better layering. Still slightly rolled off up top, which I attribute (at least in part) to the Opus 21. Otherwise, detail out the wahzoo; clean and resolving; nicely musical.

Running balanced out of Opus, more for the 5v out. Amp pot disabled, more for remote control. Still need to try other volume configurations. Good+ paring with the 407; smaller amp profile better fits my desktop space, which is why I went this route. Happy happy with the rig.

K and B, really couldn't have done it without you guys.

• Like 1

Just finished the resistor mod on the 727. Spritzer was right; those little glued-on surface mount resistors were a pain; however, I was able to get them off without lifting a pad or burning anything.

Pared with SR-407s, so far (really just buttoned up), less fatiguing at higher volumes, less euphoric-leaning, more focused; better layering. Still slightly rolled off up top, which I attribute (at least in part) to the Opus 21. Otherwise, detail out the wahzoo; clean and resolving; nicely musical.

Running balanced out of Opus, more for the 5v out. Amp pot disabled, more for remote control. Still need to try other volume configurations. Good+ paring with the 407; smaller amp profile better fits my desktop space, which is why I went this route. Happy happy with the rig.

K and B, really couldn't have done it without you guys.

I was using moded 727 with 507 and it also worked very well.

Thank Spritzer for this mod :dan:

After taking a break from full-size headphones for a speaker rig, plus a general exit from the merry-go-round for a while, I opt'd for the 407 and 727 combo to ease back in (plus it's off-the-shelf available gear). The O2s by themselves seemed pricy for hopping back into the fray; would have needed to drive them with a SRD7Pro/T-amp combo.

My 'plan' also involved spending a bit more for an amp now and then upgrading the headphones down the road; another amp upgrade at some point afterward. This included perhaps building a big-girl stat amp after learning how (multi-year endeavor; total DIY amp noob). I do have decent soldering skilz and can read a schematic, layout or trace a PCB; component-level replacement, etc.

After spending the evening with the new stat rig (up till effing 03:00 lost in the music and bibes), my 'down the road' plan turned into waking up and re-reading the entire stat thread, looking for intial reviews of the O2MkII, port mod, etc. RE: contemplated shooting Stax USA an email about trading up to the O2; see if they'll waive the restock fee. Or, pay the restock fee and sit tight for a used O2MkI.

Moral of the story: I'm as bad with this shit as when I exited the scene; just shoot me. Good part is that overall, I am enjoying the headphone listening experience more than ever.

Someone sell me a mint O2MkI for a thousand dollars, K? I'll even throw in a '79 Guild D50 (repaired crack in neck/headstock junction; non-structural). Lovely sounding acoustic with perfect action.

This is a curse, every time I say "ok, time to sell all this shit I never use" I'm up to the same number again in a couple of months.  Hell, I just paid for a SRD-X Pro and a SR-Alpha Pro Excellent and I have no idea why I bid on them...  :palm:

DIY is much worse.  Those Mouser orders really add up... 

After taking a break from full-size headphones for a speaker rig, plus a general exit from the merry-go-round for a while, I opt'd for the 407 and 727 combo to ease back in (plus it's off-the-shelf available gear). The O2s by themselves seemed pricy for hopping back into the fray; would have needed to drive them with a SRD7Pro/T-amp combo.

My 'plan' also involved spending a bit more for an amp now and then upgrading the headphones down the road; another amp upgrade at some point afterward. This included perhaps building a big-girl stat amp after learning how (multi-year endeavor; total DIY amp noob). I do have decent soldering skilz and can read a schematic, layout or trace a PCB; component-level replacement, etc.

After spending the evening with the new stat rig (up till effing 03:00 lost in the music and bibes), my 'down the road' plan turned into waking up and re-reading the entire stat thread, looking for intial reviews of the O2MkII, port mod, etc. RE: contemplated shooting Stax USA an email about trading up to the O2; see if they'll waive the restock fee. Or, pay the restock fee and sit tight for a used O2MkI.

Moral of the story: I'm as bad with this shit as when I exited the scene; just shoot me. Good part is that overall, I am enjoying the headphone listening experience more than ever.

Someone sell me a mint O2MkI for a thousand dollars, K? I'll even throw in a '79 Guild D50 (repaired crack in neck/headstock junction; non-structural). Lovely sounding acoustic with perfect action.

Welcome back to the fold Dave :)

Your thinking is not off at all. I sold most of my Stax stuff, but have a NB Sigma and I'm sure I will get back into it heavily as some time goes by.... I still have all the DIY piecicles, so it is only a matter of time....  >:D

Could someone enlighten me?  Up until now, I always thought that the SR-007 MKII only came in black.  I assumed that if I saw an 007 and it was the silver color that it was the MKI.  From what I can gather, there is a Japanese Version of the MKII in silver.  Am I correct?

In total there are at least five versions of the 007. Here comes the list but the serial numbers are just approximations. No idea when the actual change took place.

1: 70xxx serial number, first version with the large frame drivers and carbon fiber case.

2: 71xxx serial number, simplified driver frame for easier assembly, new materials on all "soft" parts

3: SZ1 and BL version: Some small changes around (cable entry for instance) but the biggest problem was the QC with these so the sound is hit and miss. Mostly miss compared to the first version.

4: SZ2, the first Mk2/A units. New earpads, headpad, cable entry. Earpad spring is raised to help comfort and a port is added to eliminate the fart. The drivers are pretty much the same as Mk1 so these can be modified.

5: SZ3, identical to the SZ2 but new diaphragm material and the port has been improved. Introduced in mid to late 2009 and the model in current production now. No hope of rescuing these through mods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys.  Does anyone here remember the Headamp display from CJ 2010?  When I was there and heard the BHSE and O2 setup, I assumed that because the cans were silver they were MKI's.  After getting new info here, I realize that they could have been 007A MKII's.  Anyone?

Edited by jimmyb233