The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

My question would have been:

Thoughts on Spritzer and Kevin Gilmore. Go.

Answer from Stax: Their proliferation of much better value-to-performance electrostatic amplifiers tripled our earspeaker sales and increased our pre-purchase valuation by 30%. Must remember to send them each a case of best quality sake.

They said they were going to make a superior amp but didn't say in what way it would be superior. If they were going to match the BHSE/T2 level of performance and make a profit the amp would cost close to 800kYen or even more. The SRM-T2 was 2.5 times the price of the SR-Omega so if they follow that then a new 009 amp would be around one million Yen....

Wow, they're really making a successor to the T2. Anyone have impressions on the new Stax portable system?

I have actually used the SRS-002 quite a bit lately while traveling.  I am really liking the system.  The custom IEMs are gathering dust at the moment as I am enjoying the weird little Stax system better directly out of the iPhone.

I have actually used the SRS-002 quite a bit lately while traveling.  I am really liking the system.  The custom IEMs are gathering dust at the moment as I am enjoying the weird little Stax system better directly out of the iPhone.

Fantastic news, thanks. I guess I'm going to buy my own set sometime in the next couple months, once I get settled in NYC.

Yes, but at the current pace, we'll be at 200JPY/EUR or 150/USD by the time it comes out so, while I won't be able to afford it, it should be just piece of cake (or two) for you Birgir ;).

Having then Yen at those levels would make me a very happy bunny.... :dance:   As for the amp, the 007t and 727 can be built this cheaply because they share resources (chassis, transformer, bunch of the parts are the same) but a new amp will require a new everything.  The two last big Stax amps were the T2 and the SRA-14S.  The 14S cost just shy of 200K Yen but that was in 1985 and with none of the extras included.  Let's just put it this way, I'm not optimistic that this will be a cheap amplifier...  :-[