The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

:palm: I just had the most ridiculous conversation with a guy who PMed me to sell me his 007MK1s on the other forum.

I'm just going to go ahead state the gist and quote some of the highlights and you should get the idea.

He PMed me to tell me that he has a Belted 007MK1 that he didn't need to sell but will go ahead and sell to me because he just happens to see my classified ( Da Faq?)

I went ahead and ask him what belted is... and here is what he said...

"Belting Is  audiophile processes in which the natural vibrations of the materials which derogate the hearing are silenced. It is explained on Peter Belts site in England. called PWB Audio."

He also said that he lives on the old personal property of North America Stax in Signal Hill in Long Beach, CA... and hinted me to drive up there to try the phones.. (I didn't try to confirm what he said, because I had no interest in those Belted 007MK1s.)

So I went onto the PWB site... and saw some putting blue papers under equipment will dramatically improve performance and deep freezing your CDs for superior sound quality... (really?)

After that... I politely replied him that I'm not interested in meeting in person because I can clearly see that we have very different beliefs in audio.

Then, I think he got a little angry over my response....

"I do not understand that it was a belief. It is the science of sound. You were very close to hearing sound that is so unbelievable that it goes straight to you soul. At this point you are displaying the worldlyness of a member of the KKK.... I guess God is out of the realm for you also.  I am a avid believer in PWB and God and Accoustic Revive and Schumann Frequency Generators and anything that helps make my grip sound more live. I have experienced the difference in both. Have you?Please do not take offense but May God Bless. You were so close to a beautiful journey because once the door is open the light is very wonderful."

:kitty: !!!!!!

and there are more..

"Thirty five years ago when we put on concerts in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Billings Montana everyone heard sounds that could not be achieved in a hall in a big city concert hall. Dave Mathews has expressed this about the Gorge. Just for you I will tell these people they do not know dick."

which really sounds like an excerpt from the book Lame Deer, Seeker of Vision

I think I will just end the conversation here..... it's getting too weird...

Edited by jwzhan

While looking up the Schuuman Generator I found a little spiel that said this:

Smart Meters are being installed in electrical meter boxes and water meters domestically worldwide. This has caused considerable concern to many people as the meters generate microwave energy to transmit readings. The Geoclense and Area Neutralizer Dome has been tested with the Smart Meters and both do harmonize the microwave radiation created by Smart Meters, thereby providing protection from smart meters.

I better figure out what an Area Neutralizer Dome is, since these smart meters sound terribly dangerous, with their "microwave energy" that they emit!

KxrZSUW.jpg

Yours for only $80! :palm:

While looking up the Schuuman Generator I found a little spiel that said this:

I better figure out what an Area Neutralizer Dome is, since these smart meters sound terribly dangerous, with their "microwave energy" that they emit!

KxrZSUW.jpg

Yours for only $80! :palm:

That reminds me of this:

32221974a11ca0aa58a4399a547c4929_zps079d

At least the Bybee does something.  Installing a 1R 5% resistor in series doesn't do a lot but it's something... 

May I ask a question about how to measure the capacitance of an electrostatic driver?  Do you measure the capacitance across one stator to the other or do you measure across one of the stators to the diaphragm?

Wachara C.

That is indeed the question.  Stax does it stator to stator but some manufacturers do it from stator to diaphragm. 

Shouldn't it be the capacitance as seen by the amplifier when driving the load? Each amplifier is driving the 1 electrode independently of the other, or so it seems, no?

BTW, this is mundane, but while I see the "hot" wire of each amplifier connected to each stator, where does the "ground" wire connect to and is it common to the 2 differential amplifiers? 

There was a related discussion not so long ago on HF about the influence or not of distortion in the amplifier when driving the electrode in push-pull fashion using differential amps (after birgir's comment that the bhse had a tiny amount of distortion factored in by design). I could not understand why it would cancel out (so much for the efforts from JCX to explain it), but it's probably cause I have no clue how the load looks like from the amplifier side.