The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Oh snap! :angel: I didn't have a good enough power amp to make them sound good. You seem to have the stuff though. :D Hope you didn't pay too much. Even though they potentially sound good, they're still just entry level vintage stuff.

I wouldn't call the regular Lambda entry level (by that definition wouldn't all vintage be entry level save for the Sigma/Gamma Pro/Omega-1?), it's a damn good headphone IMO better than the SR-404 and Lambda Pro.

Go SR-Omega or go home. ;)

Nahh.... the SR-007 is better. ;D

The SR-Lambdas really shine with the fiber glass removed and a "good" tube amp. They are simply heavenly out of my SRA-3S completely stock. Open and dynamic with just a hint of coloration in the HF.

Btw. I still stand by my believe that philodox is indeed deaf since he prefers Lambdas. How is that even possible... ???.... :D

I wouldn't call the regular Lambda entry level (by that definition wouldn't all vintage be entry level save for the Sigma/Gamma Pro/Omega-1?), it's a damn good headphone IMO better than the SR-404 and Lambda Pro.

Haha so very true now that I think about it. :D Of course there are the Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature, Nova Signature, Sigma Pro, etc., but in the end, the real difference is that they all have different sound signature; it's not like one is specifically better than another.

The SR-Lambdas really shine with the fiber glass removed and a "good" tube amp. They are simply heavenly out of my SRA-3S completely stock. Open and dynamic with just a hint of coloration in the HF.

Oh! I'm going to need your help in hunting down an amplification solution later. :P

Haha so very true now that I think about it. :D Of course there are the Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature, Nova Signature, Sigma Pro, etc., but in the end, the real difference is that they all have different sound signature; it's not like one is specifically better than another.

They all sound different but the high points IMO are the SR-Lambda, Lambda Signature and the SR-SC1. The Lambda Spirit is damn good for something that can be picked up for 10000YJP used.

Oh! I'm going to need your help in hunting down an amplification solution later. :P

Ready when you are Boss... ;)

I've been going through my collection lately to decide what to sell and there seems to have been a paradigm shift in the Stax sound signature in the begging of the 70's as the sound became drier and with tighter bass. This is apparent in both the amps and adapters form the 60's (SRD-5 and SRA-3S) as they are much warmer and larger then life.

Ready when you are Boss... ;)

No no no no. You're the master! :D I'm an apprentice. :dance:

I've been going through my collection lately to decide what to sell and there seems to have been a paradigm shift in the Stax sound signature in the begging of the 70's as the sound became drier and with tighter bass. This is apparent in both the amps and adapters form the 60's (SRD-5 and SRA-3S) as they are much warmer and larger then life.

Yeah, the trend is definitely there imho. I never knew there was a shift in the sound of the adapters as well. I'm going to have to investigate different adapters in the near future.

Oh snap! :angel: I didn't have a good enough power amp to make them sound good. You seem to have the stuff though. :D Hope you didn't pay too much. Even though they potentially sound good, they're still just entry level vintage stuff.

I paid his asking price of $345 for the SRD-7, SR-Lambda, and an extra set of pads. Whenever someone offers an extra set of pads in a headphone deal, its hard for me to turn down. ;D

No no no no. You're the master! :D I'm an apprentice. :dance:

I try...

Yeah, the trend is definitely there imho. I never knew there was a shift in the sound of the adapters as well. I'm going to have to investigate different adapters in the near future.

Stax detective work is a lot of fun. I spent a bit of money and time trying to figure out if there ever was a SR-2 as Stax doesn't even seem to know and it was indeed a production model.

I paid his asking price of $345 for the SRD-7, SR-Lambda, and an extra set of pads. Whenever someone offers an extra set of pads in a headphone deal, its hard for me to turn down. ;D

Just a word of warning, replacing those pads can be a bitch!! It can be hard to clean up the old glue and you only get one shot at putting the new ones back on.

• Sad 1

Just a word of warning, replacing those pads can be a bitch!! It can be hard to clean up the old glue and you only get one shot at putting the new ones back on.

Yeah, the pads on that Lambda were in terrible condition when I got them. I never got a chance to replace them since I only owned the Lambda for a few days and had to sell them in order to fund my source upgrade.

Yeah, the pads on that Lambda were in terrible condition when I got them. I never got a chance to replace them since I only owned the Lambda for a few days and had to sell them in order to fund my source upgrade.

You are lucky to pass this off on somebody else. The older pads ar better then the new ones though. Damn environmentally friendly glue... :mikey2:

I think the collectoritis has gone into overdrive when you got 8 sets of Lambda pads in July and you've run out... ::)

Hmm, well spaceman said the pads on the Lambdas didn't need replacing. Do you think he replaced them since he bought them from you?

Hmm, well spaceman said the pads on the Lambdas didn't need replacing. Do you think he replaced them since he bought them from you?

Hmm, I don't know. I'm guessing he didn't replace them and bought the replacement pads but never actually installed them. Best of luck with the installation. Hopefully it doesn't turn out too hard. :D

Dang... I didn't know they were hard to replace. I'm learning something new everyday about Stax stuff. :mikey2: