The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'd stay away from the SRM-600 given the very high failure rate.  It's always the plate resistors that die so they could just be replaced but that's pretty much the amount of work needed to change a T1/006t to use ECC99's so hardly worth the price difference. 

The Koss isn't a bad choice.  Simply upgrading the wall wart for the E/90 amp won't make a dramatic difference so your best bet is always a Stax amp.  Even cheaper is the Stax SRS-2170 which is pretty much untouchable at that price.  Sounds far better than the 307 too and the Japanese units are easy to use with a domestic 12VDC psu modified for the correct pinout. 

Any of the Lambda Nova units would also be a good choice but many of them aren't aging all that well.  The adhesive used is acting up and the pleather parts are flaking or even worse.  Some of my favorite headphones ever though and my main set these days is pretty much a Nova Signature. 

The Lambda Nova Signature is an excellent ear speaker. I would love to hear one on a BHSE.

I'd stay away from the SRM-600 given the very high failure rate.  It's always the plate resistors that die so they could just be replaced but that's pretty much the amount of work needed to change a T1/006t to use ECC99's so hardly worth the price difference. 

The Koss isn't a bad choice.  Simply upgrading the wall wart for the E/90 amp won't make a dramatic difference so your best bet is always a Stax amp.  Even cheaper is the Stax SRS-2170 which is pretty much untouchable at that price.  Sounds far better than the 307 too and the Japanese units are easy to use with a domestic 12VDC psu modified for the correct pinout. 

Any of the Lambda Nova units would also be a good choice but many of them aren't aging all that well.  The adhesive used is acting up and the pleather parts are flaking or even worse.  Some of my favorite headphones ever though and my main set these days is pretty much a Nova Signature. 

Does that mean you've frankensteined a bunch of lambda parts together where the drivers are from an LNS?

Birgir (and others): What is your thought on 207 vs 404LE and 323S vs 252S?  I have a 404LE at home and have thought about getting a 323S or 252S to use with it for the office.  Also, is the 207 better, worse or just different than the 404LE?  I know you like the 207 quite a bit. 

Also curious about the comfort level of 207 vs 404LE.  Do they use a different headband?  The 404LE have leather earpads which should probably help with comfort. 

Edited by shellylh

Birgir (and others): What is your thought on 207 vs 404LE and 323S vs 252S?  I have a 404LE at home and have thought about getting a 323S or 252S to use with it for the office.  Also, is the 207 better, worse or just different than the 404LE?  I know you like the 207 quite a bit. 

goddamnit shelly.  The 404LE has chewed up my last few days. If you have one available? Here in our town?

I just re thought everything.

(whispering) 

Hey, Shelly ...

Your so pretty...

If you happen to have a 404LE for sale?

Just let me know, okay?

lol.

Edited by s1rrah

@ Shellylh

My previous comments were only regarding ear speakers.

Just so you know.

Oops, yeah, in Houston.  I guess I didn't think about whether you'd be interested in hearing it.   :)  Maybe I just like to mess with you.  Nah, just getting old and forgetful. 

Sorry, chica ...

Just being careful ...

Yup that's it.  A couple of drivers that most people would have thrown out fitted to the most expensive frame money can't buy.  :)

Also curious about the comfort level of 207 vs 404LE.  Do they use a different headband?  The 404LE have leather earpads which should probably help with comfort. 

The 404LE is a bit more refined but the tone is similar. 

The 323S is the better amp than the 252S but the small one is damn good for something so tiny.  The major limitations don't show up until you start to push it. 

Same headband used on both though the head pad is different.  The earpads on the 207 are roughly the same thickness but vinyl so not as nice.  The 207 is also a bit lighter given the less substantial cable. 

Oops, yeah, in Houston.  I guess I didn't think about whether you'd be interested in hearing it.   :)  Maybe I just like to mess with you.  Nah, just getting old and forgetful. 

When I settle on an amp, we'll have to get together (and you can then sell me the LE's at a "local" rate!) ... ;-) ...  I'm pretty sure I'll already love them as I really liked the 303's and from what I've read (literally, five days worth of reading) ... I think the 404LE's will trump the 303's.

More and more, I'm leaning towards investing in a NIB Koss ESP950 and a SRM-323S solid state amp (I still have the SR-307's). I'll have to source an adapter for the Koss cans but that shouldn't be too bad; I certainly won't be making one myself!). As my $$$ piles up, I keep thinking I'd like to keep the dynamic setup and just add the electrostats to it. 

Hmmmmmm ... chew chew chew ... we'll see!

;-)

You can have the supplied extension cable modified to be an adapter, no biggie.

Brilliant!!! I didn't even think about the extension cable angle! Wow .. that's a relief. I didn't want to hard mod the Koss phones for obvious, warranty related reasons ... ... 

When I settle on an amp, we'll have to get together (and you can then sell me the LE's at a "local" rate!) ... ;-) ... I'm pretty sure I'll already love them as I really liked the 303's and from what I've read (literally, five days worth of reading) ... I think the 404LE's will trump the 303's.

More and more, I'm leaning towards investing in a NIB Koss ESP950 and a SRM-323S solid state amp (I still have the SR-307's). I'll have to source an adapter for the Koss cans but that shouldn't be too bad; I certainly won't be making one myself!). As my $$$ piles up, I keep thinking I'd like to keep the dynamic setup and just add the electrostats to it.

Hmmmmmm ... chew chew chew ... we'll see!

;-)

Ha, that's assuming I want to sell... :)

Ha, that's assuming I want to sell... :)

Seriously, though???  (if such a thing is possible) ...

I just bought a Koss ESP-950 that comes with a Stax modified extension cable; which means I can now find a Stax amp to use with it (and my 307's for now). 

Based on what I have read, if I were in your position, I would get the SRM-323s.  Accoding the Spritzer the little amp 252s is very good and cheap but I believe it has a wall wart which might bother you.   :)

If you are interested in buying one new, Justin/Headamp sells them cheaper than Elusive Disk (same price as Yama) and ships fast.

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm 

Edited by shellylh

The 323S would be an excellent choice.  Only upgrade to that at a sane price would be any of the T1/006t amps upgraded to ECC99 or the TOTL amps from Stax modified. 

Speaking of which, the modified SRM-007tII doesn't have a chance in hell of driving these Sigma Nova Signatures... :)  Too tired to fire up the BHSE though. 

I have enjoyed the 323s the few times I have listened to mine.  Was really just a temporary thing while I waited for the BHSE but I really have not had any desire to listen in months so it sits unused.

Maybe I will listen to some Stax tonight.

Based on what I have read, if I were in your position, I would get the SRM-323s.  Accoding the Spritzer the little amp 252s is very good and cheap but I believe it has a wall wart which might bother you.   :)

If you are interested in buying one new, Justin/Headamp sells them cheaper than Elusive Disk (same price as Yama) and ships fast.

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm 

Once the smoke settles from the Koss purchase (which is done) .. then I will most likely follow your advice and get the 323s amp .. which was my own advice, too .. but just thought I'd re type it all for drama's sake. ;-) ...

• Like 1

So I've detected some low level hissing/noise on my SR-507s left channel. Not sure what to blame since I don't have other amps to check if it's something with my kgsshv. The noise persists even when I unplug them (stops when I discharge the pins though), so I don't think it's the amp at least.

Any ideas?

Only one cause for that, there is some dust that has entered the driver.  Takes a lot of patience and skill to get rid of that.  Pretty much impossible in the standard Lambda drivers prior to this generation... 

Spent most of yesterday looking for that in the number of sets I'm about to put up for sale.