The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

folks, the plastic part that holds the 009 headband broke today. As a temporary measure, I glued it with super glue. The stax after service here can be considered as non existent. I would really really appreciate if any of you fine gentlemen can help me source the parts. All expenses will be paid for. The parts I'm referring to is on the attached pics (the solid yellow arrow)

Shoot me a pm for further arrangements. Thanking all of you in advance fr any help/advice........

post-1506-0-94307900-1385575011.jpg

Edited by forbigger

I'd try contacting Craig at Kuboten to see if he can get it directly in Japan. I haven't contacted him in ages, but his website is still up. If he can't or he doesn't carry this business anymore, then my second try would be contacting the people in UK at HEWorkshop. They repaired my 717 and a friend's 007. Maybe they can source the parts.

I've found that bad solder joints could cause the noise too. Try resolder all the joints before you send them back to Stax. Also check to see if the dust covers are still good. Even a tiny hole on the dust cover can eventually lead to this problem.

Wachara C.

Well I took off the back of the enclosure today, and I found a small depression in the dust cover on the side that faces away from the ear. No actual hole that I could find though. Could the dust cover touching the stator could be the cause? If not I don't think I wanna risk exploring the other two options (dust on the other side or resoldering).

All I can say about Stax is this...

1.) If a headphone sounds good enough for you to put up with fart noises every time you adjust the headband or move your jaw, then it must be good.

2.) If a headphone sounds good enough for you to put up with annoying proprietary powering and connectors, then it must be good.

In all seriousness, though, for a couple of years I owned the Stax SR-007 and SRM-007t and I can honestly say they were far and away the best headphones I ever listened to (before or since). I hear people occasionally taking about the "lack of bass", or a "soft" sound. For me, neither of these things were true. They were incredibly natural sounding, with extended but not exaggerated highs and lows.

It's been a while since I have listened to high end headphones. If things have improved and we now have headphones which sound better than the 007, then I think the headphone-loving community should feel very, very lucky!

Well I took off the back of the enclosure today, and I found a small depression in the dust cover on the side that faces away from the ear. No actual hole that I could find though. Could the dust cover touching the stator could be the cause? If not I don't think I wanna risk exploring the other two options (dust on the other side or resoldering).

Like Birgir's said, since the stators are insulated, the dust cover touching the stators won't make the noise.  I would also check to see the condition of the dust cover on the side facing your ear.  This side is more critical than the other side.

Wachara C.

Is it possible to take the 507's driver out of the housing without separating all of it's layers (since they aren't glued together)? I did find some fibers on the side facing the ear between the metal grill and the dust cover, but I've not been able to remove it.

Well I managed to take out the driver and clean out the other side's dust cover, and the noise appears to have gone away. Might have just become less noticeable. Also straightened out the grill while I was at it, since it was a bit concave. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

almost 2 months after my RMA, PJ sent me an e-mail telling me that STAX and PJ did not find ANY problem with the 009, including the scratches. They told me that my 009 has no imbalance issue... which I did not claim it to have... I think this is one of those template replies they have set up for RMAed 009s...

After I saw their reply, I was like WTF, are those guys completely blind?! Luckily I took some photos before sending them off, otherwise I would've been completely fucked.

nI73LPq.jpg

WDjrmtt.jpg

These are the two scratches that they claim to not exist.. The not so obvious one actually runs about 1/5 of the circumference of the cup, which is a HUGE scratch.

Thank god I did not wire transfer the money to them; instead, I used credit card. Worst case, I'll just call my CC and get a charge back, which I'm very inclined to do given that they are trying to deny any wrong doing.

Edited by jwzhan

Man that sucks for you I'd lose my shit if I had found out some scratches on a $3.6-4.5k headphone.

Anyway @ Birgir:

Slightly low volume output and some distortion from both channels (once you turn the dials up) on an SR-3 off a SRD-5 adaptor, what could be the possible causes? I'm thinking the SRD-5 adaptor as I just purchased this combo from YJ and hoping to give it some TLC and get it up and going properly when it arrives at my doorsteps, so I'd think it's good to brainstorm some preliminary solutions to the problem.

Cheers

Edited by DefQon

The 323S is the better amp than the 252S but the small one is damn good for something so tiny.  The major limitations don't show up until you start to push it. 

For reasons of desktop space ... I tentatively ordered the 252S amp; it just came in today and I'm at work listening to it via a little Cowon J3 DAP as source since that's all I have on hand...

And man, you weren't kidding. With SR-307's, it's a bit boggling how good the diminutive 252S amp sounds. In all honesty, even via memory, it sounds markedly better to my ear than did the vintage T1W amp I recently had and sold. Mostly in regard to cleanliness/clarity. Pretty amazed. Kind of anxious to hear the Koss ESP950 cans I have too but waiting for them to be shipped back from warranty. If my dynamic stuff goes by the wayside, which is crossing my mind more and more of late, I can already see myself getting the 323S amp...

;-)

Edited by s1rrah

For reasons of desktop space ... I tentatively ordered the 252S amp; it just came in today and I'm at work listening to it via a little Cowon J3 DAP as source since that's all I have on hand...

And man, you weren't kidding. With SR-307's, it's a bit boggling how good the diminutive 252S amp sounds. In all honesty, even via memory, it sounds markedly better to my ear than did the vintage T1W amp I recently had and sold. Mostly in regard to cleanliness/clarity. Pretty amazed. Kind of anxious to hear the Koss ESP950 cans I have too but waiting for them to be shipped back from warranty. If my dynamic stuff goes by the wayside, which is crossing my mind more and more of late, I can already see myself getting the 323S amp...

;-)

Nice!  I am interested in the 252S.  You'll have to borrow my 404LE to try out.