The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

For reasons of desktop space ... I tentatively ordered the 252S amp; it just came in today and I'm at work listening to it via a little Cowon J3 DAP as source since that's all I have on hand...

And man, you weren't kidding. With SR-307's, it's a bit boggling how good the diminutive 252S amp sounds. In all honesty, even via memory, it sounds markedly better to my ear than did the vintage T1W amp I recently had and sold. Mostly in regard to cleanliness/clarity. Pretty amazed. Kind of anxious to hear the Koss ESP950 cans I have too but waiting for them to be shipped back from warranty. If my dynamic stuff goes by the wayside, which is crossing my mind more and more of late, I can already see myself getting the 323S amp...

;-)

How are you finding the 307? I have a pair I use for listening while I fall asleep (so I don't need to worry about what happens to them - I don't do this with 007 or 009), and I find they are hard to beat for the price (haven't heard any old Lambdas though) - good bass, very good mids, and highs are quite good too, though I listen at low volume. Seriously underrated pair of headphones.

Nice!  I am interested in the 252S.  You'll have to borrow my 404LE to try out. 

I have been seriously surprised by how good it sounds with the 307's ... especially once I got home and hooked it up to my desktop DAC.  In fact, I've already contacted Justin to return it in exchange for a 323S because I've decided to sell my dynamic amp/cans. I just prefer the more natural presentation of the Stax over the colored/emphasized tone of the GS1000's and as long as I'm committing, I figure I'll spend a bit more on the 323S as I think it will be more extensible over the long run. Factor in the Koss cans I have as well and I can see myself being quite happy with an all electrostat set up.

Would still like to borrow the 404LE's ... I'll let you know once I get the whole amp exchange thing figured out/suss'd.

How are you finding the 307? I have a pair I use for listening while I fall asleep (so I don't need to worry about what happens to them - I don't do this with 007 or 009), and I find they are hard to beat for the price (haven't heard any old Lambdas though) - good bass, very good mids, and highs are quite good too, though I listen at low volume. Seriously underrated pair of headphones.

I'm really impressed with them combined with the SRM-252S. I had no idea that little amp would sound so good. I like the 307's FAR better with the 252S than I did with the SRM-T1W (which I had for about a week and which sounded sort of dry/dull and etchy with the 307's). 

The only other benchmark I have to compare the 307's with would be the SR-303's ... which I also really liked and which I think might have been just a bit more smooth sounding than the 307's ... but that's just distant memory talking and so who knows.

Edited by s1rrah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well... after sending PJ the photo, he, his dealer and STAX still insist that the scratches are made up and want to send back my 009. I agreed.

I surely hope that STAX has done something to the phone and claimed to not have. I'll be looking over them with a magnifying glass this time... if those scratches are still there... I will probably just call my CC and try to get a charge back... (got scammed similarly to this about 3 years ago and my CC honored the charge back.)

And apparently removing the earpad will void the warranty... WTF.... that's a first for me...

We will see if STAX's and PJ's reputation still hold up next week...

yup... either that or they have really bad eyes and as long as they send me the wrong set that they are looking at which doesn't have problems, I might still be fine... ::)

That thing came up a few times during some conversations... don't exactly know what it is but the description claims "its design is as good as 717/727 and uses better material, so it should beat them with ease..." which is the description every taobao crap amp uses... I can't find any internal photo which is not surprising given that the person hasn't sold any...

yup... either that or they have really bad eyes and as long as they send me the wrong set that they are looking at which doesn't have problems, I might still be fine... ::)

That thing came up a few times during some conversations... don't exactly know what it is but the description claims "its design is as good as 717/727 and uses better material, so it should beat them with ease..." which is the description every taobao crap amp uses... I can't find any internal photo which is not surprising given that the person hasn't sold any...

I wasn't hoping for much but one is ever so curious.  Could be a variation of the same circuit King Sound uses in the M-10 and the sockets might be the King Sound units as well.  It's hard to tell with any certainty but it appears to have the same textured finish. 

I like the case though, save for the choice of power button/switch

Looks like a version of this design:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2609-Full-aluminum-chassis-Preamp-box-Power-amp-Enclosure-Case-DIY-/400526703642?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Amplifier_Parts&hash=item5d41407c1a

There is also the 2607 so this could be the 2608...