The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The trick with the old pads is to try and get all of the glue off with the pads which is easy with the oldest pads but gets harder with the newer versions of glue. I ripped off the pads on my new-ish Airbow SC1 and no amount of solvents could completely clean the baffle. Using chemicals this close to the driver is pretty bad for my ulcer... :'(

The trick with the old pads is to try and get all of the glue off with the pads which is easy with the oldest pads but gets harder with the newer versions of glue. I ripped off the pads on my new-ish Airbow SC1 and no amount of solvents could completely clean the baffle. Using chemicals this close to the driver is pretty bad for my ulcer... :'(

Ack, sounds like it will be a project then. :) I'll give them a listen with the cracked pads, and if I like them enough I'll put the new pads on. Otherwise they'll be off to their new owner pads unreplaced. ;D

Awesome sequence of posts there. :D

It is... now back to some Stax talk... :dance:

The Lambda pads are still easy compared to either of the Omegas. The O1 has these nasty little plastic snaps with a pin in the middle and the pads are so badly made it pretty hard to put them on the right way.

The SR-007 has this clever rotating system which needs to me mounted inside the pads and then the pads can be forced over the metal back plate. Be prepared for some cuts and scrapes.. :P

It's too bad it is an export model only so no cheap prices through EIFL.
What does that mean? Is the reason things are cheaper through places like EIFL, audiocubes, and the pricejapan network of retailers because they're being sold domestically (in Japan) and then being shipped to us? Why would that be cheaper than being sold to us directly?

What does that mean? Is the reason things are cheaper through places like EIFL, audiocubes, and the pricejapan network of retailers because they're being sold domestically (in Japan) and then being shipped to us? Why would that be cheaper than being sold to us directly?

You have to buy this model through the distributors and they all very eager to add their cut to the price. They would be around 150000YJP in Japan but well over 2k$ in the US. Its even worse on this side of the "lake" due to the VAT.

Thanks for the price check. :)

There is supposed to be a silver version for Japan only that is released in December. It looks pretty much like the SR-007BL but with a better finish on the cups and we shpuld be able to get that at the normal 1500$ price. The black version does look great though.

Thanks for the price check. :)

There is supposed to be a silver version for Japan only that is released in December. It looks pretty much like the SR-007BL but with a better finish on the cups and we shpuld be able to get that at the normal 1500$ price. The black version does look great though.

Ah, this is cool. The spy pictures of the silver sure looked snazzy.

In other news, I get my Lambdas today. :dance: I'll get my first listen late tonight.