The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Just plugged in my first and favorite SR-007 just now after not touching them for at least 6 months.  On the KGSSHV they are nothing short of astounding, the detail they can dig out of even low-fi recordings is just staggering plus the sheer presence of the image they project.  It's fun to listen for mastering mistakes or where a piece has clearly been added on afterwards but even most electrostatic transducers would never pickup on that.  The ability to be bright on one track and then dark on the next simply can't be rivaled.  Then there is that midrange, those voices... 

It's nice to see you again old friend, I've missed you.  :)

• Like 1

No, you're going to get it fixed.

I'm not sure I can, but if a miracle happens and the heavens open op - do you have any idea on who would be best to contact about this? I'm in the Netherlands, which is worse, I think.

I thought the driver was damaged too for a moment, but it looks like there's a sounding-good state, a sounding-bad state and a no-sound-at-all state. I am thinking of putting these away until I can somehow have them fixed.

I'm not sure I can, but if a miracle happens and the heavens open op - do you have any idea on who would be best to contact about this? I'm in the Netherlands, which is worse, I think.

I thought the driver was damaged too for a moment, but it looks like there's a sounding-good state, a sounding-bad state and a no-sound-at-all state. I am thinking of putting these away until I can somehow have them fixed.

These Guys fixed my SRM-717 and a friend's 007 for a very sensible fee. Highly recommendable for Stax fix works in Europe.

Edited by Torpedo

Yes to the latter.  Electrostatics with a loose connection are not something you want to fuck around with.  It works now, might break it by continuing to use it while the loose connector detaches and reattaches itself.

I really is a bad idea to mess with the cable too much as two things can happen.  You break the thin wires inside the housing which lead to the drivers and if they short... the amp won't be happy.  The other possibility is managing pull on the cable and some how damage the solder tabs on the drivers.  That would be really bad...

I have never seen a pair for which so much has been asked !!!! But thats Wiktor all his sales have astronomical prices, best suited to Russian oligarchs  :unsure:  

I really is a bad idea to mess with the cable too much as two things can happen.  You break the thin wires inside the housing which lead to the drivers and if they short... the amp won't be happy.  The other possibility is managing pull on the cable and some how damage the solder tabs on the drivers.  That would be really bad...

Well, that's bad news... I'll have to follow your advice.

Yes he is an ex engineer for the UK stax distributer Symmetry 

I got into contact and was quoted 110 pounds, which is reasonable when the cable itself costs 85 pounds on another UK-based website.

Torpedo, thanks for the info.

I hope I can get these fixed soon. Thanks again...

Yeh he sometimes contacts me for information on some of my Stax and Sennheiser gear. Pleasant enough chap but he lays his prices on with a trowel!

You will regularly see his sales going around and around on ebay. He had some sennheiser orpheus that were regularly on ebay for two or three years. Whether he ever sold them I have no idea, but they are not at a price that any sane enthusiast would ever consider paying.

So you guys know the seller of those Sigmas? He also has a nice pair of lambdas on ebay as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Open to suggestions re upgrading my Headphones. Currently have an old set of SR Lambda Classics along side a KG Triode amp, KGSS and T2 in

construction. Would dearly love a set of 007's or 009's. Will eventually get these but was wondering what would be a worthwhile upgrade till  I can afford

the top line. Will buy new as I cant be bothered to wait till right one pops up on Ebay. Besides the local importer is in my city and can demo most

models.

Just repaired my KGSS after it took a tumble in our Quake shake recently. Listening to Stax really drew me in again to Headphone listening. 

Sheer bliss, I can only imagine what  my T2 and a set of 007/9 would sound like matched up.

Thanks and all comments welcomed.

Les

Any Lambda would be a small incremental upgrade or a simple change of flavor but I'd hold out for a 007. 

Something I just found in storage, my modified KingSound M-10:

m0ZCE0rh.jpg

Whole bass boost BS removed, RK27 installed instead, crap sand cast "plate" resistors replaced with Kiwame Carbon units, output caps upgraded and installed some heatsinks with some thermally conductive epoxy.  Far better now but still not a good amplifier...