The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Well someone just posted a host of Lambda gear FS on HF, anyone care to make a recommendation for those of us thinking about sampling stats?

Yes - I heard all Mark's phones at the Dallas meet, and love the Lambda Pros, and the Lambda Signatures (enough to buy a pair myself). Veniogenesis also has some Signatures for sale at a fairly reasonable price, even though Spritzer thinks they are 'boring'. Question is, without a good amp, why bother, though you (Nate) can build a KGSS for ~$500, or a BH for ~$1100, or so. Oh, I know there are cheaper amp options, like a SRM-T1, or one of the energizers, but that would be my choice.

I think the Sigmas are shit, which allegedly says more about me than them.

The Nova Signature is supposedly a very different headphone in comparison with the Lambda Signature. From what I understand, the Lambda Signature is a more lively headphone than the Nova Signature.

That Sigma Pro was once Venio's from what I've been told. They're very rare and are quite interesting headphones. They're however not for everyone; other than the atypical sense of sound that they provide, the highs are severely dropped off while the bass gives an almost overpowering present. I personally wouldn't recommend them as a starter 'stat.

I would personally go with a Lambda, Lambda Pro, or Lambda Signature.

I think Spritzer gave his preference of the Stax lineup in terms of a ranking in the rankings thread.

Edit: By the way pabbi, do you have an idea of how much Lambda Signatures go for these days?

It's the Nova Signatures that I don't really like all that much. It's a fine headphone but lacks the "spark" of the Signatures and they are much more like the 404 and SC1 then the older Lambdas.

The Sigmas are an acquired taste and I agree with the founder of Stax that the SR-Sigma (properly driven) is one of their best phones. The Pro's aren't as good but still pretty nice.

The Signatures can reach 500$ or more for a good set.

Question is, without a good amp, why bother, though you (Nate) can build a KGSS for ~$500, or a BH for ~$1100, or so. Oh, I know there are cheaper amp options, like a SRM-T1, or one of the energizers, but that would be my choice.

It's really just something that I'm toying with and probably shouldn't even be considering. I'm certainly not looking to take on another build any time soon, I'm up to my eyeballs in crap as it is. Thanks for the input though and it certainly applies to more than my situation.

I'm extremely happy with the way the SR-Omega sounds matched with the KGSS. It is more like the HE60 than the SR-007, relatively bright and fast.

Looking through the outside grills into the drivers, I see some lines that look like "spokes" on the beige-color surface, and a black round piece in the middle.

It's the spikes emitting from the black rubber dot in the middle on the outside of the driver. If they are clear then they are the original plastic version but if they are gray it's the later aluminum version. I've never seen one with the aluminum version except on some replacement drivers.

Are those the original pads they are sporting or have you put on some new black ones?

I found a Japanese-language page about the SR-Omega with photos of the plastic and aluminum spokes.

http://staxt2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/stax1.htm

Mine are the clear plastic spokes.

I think the earpads are original SR-Omega pads, though they might've been replaced some time ago, of course.

The pad material is kind of stiff and feels more like the stiff and hard type of leather on some armchairs. They do become a bit warm, but overall the SR-Omega is very comfortable to wear.

I knew about that site but I've never seen phones with the stock drivers that had the aluminum cartwheels. Those pictured there are replacement drivers from Stax not that they are available any more... >:( It's a shame that the site isn't there in its original form as it had loads more info and comparisons.

If they are brown then they are from the original run. Stax had the new black pads made in 2003 when the old stock ran out. They they are black I don't know. You can also get a new cable for them but it's light brown like the current cable and not dark like the original.

If you remove the pads then you can see the date of manufacture or if they were repaired. Here is the sticker on mine:

IMG_1115.jpg

They are comfortable but the pads are too stiff and the vinyl/leather combo isn't all that great.

The earpads are dark brown. They look to be in good condition, I would've assumed they were replacements from just a few years ago. Comfort is actually not bad, despite the earpads' relative stiffness overall.

Lifting up the bottom part of the right-side earpad, I see the same type of label.

It looks like:

94 * 11 * 4

HH

I'm trying the SR-Omega with the SRM-T1W now. It's not bad.

The Omega has a superb 3D soundstage, very large and encompassing. Playing "audiophile-type" recordings, it seems like sound is coming from all directions.

Imaging isn't as pinpoint precise as the O2's, though. I think the O2 has the best imaging and separation among the Big 4 (HE90, HE60, Omega, O2), which basically means it's also better than all other headphones I've heard. The K1000 might be an exception.

I'm trying the SR-Omega with the SRM-T1W now. It's not bad.

The Omega has a superb 3D soundstage, very large and encompassing. Playing "audiophile-type" recordings, it seems like sound is coming from all directions.

Imaging isn't as pinpoint precise as the O2's, though. I think the O2 has the best imaging and separation among the Big 4 (HE90, HE60, Omega, O2), which basically means it's also better than all other headphones I've heard. The K1000 might be an exception.

I call them atmospheric as they don't have the fake and diffused soundstage of the HE90. They are very "audiophile" sounding a point which darth nut made in his epic comparison. If you haven't read it it is here:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=general&n=80474&&r=&session=

Hehe, mine fits perfectly, with just-right clamping force.

I can shake my head vigorously and it won't slide off.

The secret: brand-new plastic headband piece

Ahhh so you bought that one... ;) Mine were forced over the box for the photos but the arc is in pretty good shape.