The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

In more current news, the initial results of this first batch of 007MK2s are disturbing. I thought it might just be a bad pair until Stax USA said they were having the same problems with all of them. I've been tempted to buy an MK1 from pricejapan before the silver mk2 replace it next month.

In more current news, the initial results of this first batch of 007MK2s are disturbing. I thought it might just be a bad pair until Stax USA said they were having the same problems with all of them. I've been tempted to buy an MK1 from pricejapan before the silver mk2 replace it next month.

It's bad news indeed but I can't believe they are supposed to sound like that. The drivers are identical so this shouldn't happen.

Gaaah, exposed by my own blabbing!

I thought you might've missed that one, because it wasn't listed in the Stax or headphone categories. Should've known better.

I saw it but I decided to give somebody else a chance as I need a new source more then a second SR-Ω. Now if I only could find a used UX-1... >:(

Edit: By the way pabbi, do you have an idea of how much Lambda Signatures go for these days?

I paid $350 for mine this summer, and was offered another pair last week for $375 (just didn't need another pair). Sould be in the $325-400 range, depending on condition, though I have seen eBay range much higher.

I paid $350 for mine this summer, and was offered another pair last week for $375 (just didn't need another pair). Sould be in the $325-400 range, depending on condition, though I have seen eBay range much higher.

Do you know if prices for the Lambda Signature and Lambda Nova Signature are similar? I was under the impression that the Lambda Signatures ran for quite a bit more than the Nova Lambda Signatures. (~$100 or more)

Do you know if prices for the Lambda Signature and Lambda Nova Signature are similar? I was under the impression that the Lambda Signatures ran for quite a bit more than the Nova Lambda Signatures. (~$100 or more)

They are about 100$ more or that's how I'm pricing the stuff I'm selling.

I screwed up the original post. lets try again. I have spent time with the 02/KGSS(dark and thin) and the 3030(Bright and edgy) system. Thought they were both bad. Whatare the good ones?

O2 with da mojo tube amps from what I've been told. (Aristaeus, Blue Hawaii, ES-1.)

I screwed up the original post. lets try again. I have spent time with the 02/KGSS(dark and thin) and the 3030(Bright and edgy) system. Thought they were both bad. Whatare the good ones?

I'm using a HeadAmp KGSS with the O2. I do think it is a bit dark-sounding, but thin? Not to me. It has a fuller-bodied and thicker sound than many other headphones.

I also use an SRM-T1W with various electrostatic headphones. In general, it is smoother and more laid-back than the KGSS.

I think the "good ones" include the O2, SR-Omega, 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1, as well as the HE90 and HE60.

The Lambda Pro's are the black sheep of the family and this has been known since they were released. The Stereophile review(J. Gordon Holt wrote it) said you should definitely listen for a while before you buy and noted the same flaws I hear. The midrange is very recessed, the highs are either bright or dull depending on frequency and the bass is detached from the rest of the spectrum and very uneven as well.

The good ones are the SR-Lambda, Lambda Signature and SC1 of the Lambda range, SR-Sigma, SR-X Mk3, 4070 and of course both Omegas. The choice between them will often depend on the music used as acoustic stuff isn't as demanding as close miked, heavily mixed music and system setup is crucial. IC's will make or break a Stax setup. This can not be stressed enough and always plug the amps directly into the wall without any power filters.

Both setups you mention you are describing the amps and not the headphones. If you like the He90 then you should try to find a SR-Omega to listen to as they are similar but the Stax coming out on top in key areas. They aren't as diffused and the soundstage, while overblown and unreal is closer to the real thing, the midrange is better with nearly the same magic as the SR-007 and the bass is extended and deep with only a slight confusion when things get tough as the drivers can't dump the excess energy into the housing and then the head. They are still slightly uneven in the upper midrange as the He90 but it is a rare artifact.

I'm using a HeadAmp KGSS with the O2. I do think it is a bit dark-sounding, but thin? Not to me. It has a fuller-bodied and thicker sound than many other headphones.

I also use an SRM-T1W with various electrostatic headphones. In general, it is smoother and more laid-back than the KGSS.

I think the "good ones" include the O2, SR-Omega, 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1, as well as the HE90 and HE60.

You will be quite please when you get your ES-1 man. My Lambda Pro was sounding quite a good bit better than the O2+KGSS that I heard in our mini-meet. Again, I heard your amp+O2 awhile back here with the G08. I still need the a new tube set for my HE60. So far it has been HE90>>Lambda Pro>>HE60. The Lambda pro was a highly recommended to me by Mikhail and I agree why.

The Lambda Pro's are the black sheep of the family and this has been known since they were released. The Stereophile review(J. Gordon Holt wrote it) said you should definitely listen for a while before you buy and noted the same flaws I hear. The midrange is very recessed, the highs are either bright or dull depending on frequency and the bass is detached from the rest of the spectrum and very uneven as well.

That could be true with other amps, but with the ES-1...the lambda pro was sounding pretty amazing. I did talk to Hirsch last night and he also agreed that the Lambda pro sounds amazing with ES-1, even more so than the HE60.

Stop posting about things you haven't heard jackass.

I said that "I've been told". Is there anything wrong with that? I've only said things about two pieces of equipment I haven't heard:

1. People personally suggested getting powerful tube amps for the Omega 2 when I was considering building a Omega 2 rig.

2. My friends tell me the HP-2 is a neutral headphone that plays music as it was meant to sound like.

I'm one of the people who criticize people for claiming certain things about gear they've never heard but don't point out that it was just something they read. I comment on things I've been personally told and point out that it was advice I had been given. Do you not yourself comment on things you've been told?

You will be quite please when you get your ES-1 man. My Lambda Pro was sounding quite a good bit better than the O2+KGSS that I heard in our mini-meet. Again, I heard your amp+O2 awhile back here with the G08. I still need the a new tube set for my HE60. So far it has been HE90>>Lambda Pro>>HE60. The Lambda pro was a highly recommended to me by Mikhail and I agree why.

Hmm, very interesting. Lambda Pro greatly over the HE60. :D Could you elaborate a little bit more on how you think the three headphones compare? :angel:

That could be true with other amps, but with the ES-1...the lambda pro was sounding pretty amazing. I did talk to Hirsch last night and he also agreed that the Lambda pro sounds amazing with ES-1, even more so than the HE60.

Just wondering Purk, have you heard the Blue Hawaii before?

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures.

Just wondering Purk, have you heard the Blue Hawaii before?

I have not, but I am very familiar with the O2 + KGSS. Elephas's KGSS used to belong to a local Atlanta Headfier, Len, he also owned an O2. The O2 + KGSS is pretty nice combo but when we (Mike, Tom, myself, and Len) heard them, we all agree that the O2+KGSS was outclassed by my SDS + L3000 and SDS + R10. We all thought that the O2 + KGSS was very impressive in classical and had many great qualities but the combo were dark sounding and missing the bass impact of the L3000 and the detail resolving of the R10. We conclude that the KGSS+O2 was great for classical but not for rocks. But that was a year ago, but now my SDS has been upgraded and I have now acquired the HE90+HEV90 and recently the ES-1. IMO, my HE90 is several levels above that of the O2+KGSS system. When we had our mini-meet, the source was the Meridian G08...I have now upgrade my source to modwright/kern mod Sony SCD-777ES w/ tube rectified PSU.

Amazing how exactly? It doesn't matter what I use to drive these phones, the character is always the same. From the SRM-Xh up to the BH and the HE60 smokes every one of the Lambdas, even my favorite open SR-Lambda.

You will be quite please when you get your ES-1 man.

I did talk to Hirsch last night and he also agreed that the Lambda pro sounds amazing with ES-1, even more so than the HE60.

No way! Lambda Pro more amazing than the HE60? I would be very happy to experience that.

I've got a Headphile-modified Lambda Pro that doesn't do too well compared against the HE60. The HE60+KGSS is very clear, fast and detailed.

Aaargh, I also have four 3D21A tubes and adapters sitting in the closet along with a bunch of 6SN7's and Mullard and Telefunken EL34's.

I probably won't receive the ES-1 until May 2008, especially if I tell Mikhail "I want my ES-1 to be better than purk's." :'( :-[>:D

I have not, but I am very familiar with the O2 + KGSS. Elephas's KGSS used to belong to a local Atlanta Headfier, Len, he also owned an O2. The O2 + KGSS is pretty nice combo but when we (Mike, Tom, myself, and Len) heard them, we all agree that the O2+KGSS was outclassed by my SDS + L3000 and SDS + R10. We all thought that the O2 + KGSS was very impressive in classical and had many great qualities but the combo were dark sounding and missing the bass impact of the L3000 and the detail resolving of the R10. We conclude that the KGSS+O2 was great for classical but not for rocks. But that was a year ago, but now my SDS has been upgraded and I have now acquired the HE90+HEV90 and recently the ES-1. IMO, my HE90 is several levels above that of the O2+KGSS system. When we had our mini-meet, the source was the Meridian G08...I have now upgrade my source to modwright/kern mod Sony SCD-777ES w/ tube rectified PSU.

Perhaps it is time to seriously try the Lambda, Lambda Signature, and Omega II with the ES-1. :)

By the way, how do you think the HE60 fits in? (Compared with the L3k perhaps.)

No way! Lambda Pro more amazing than the HE60? I would be very happy to experience that.

I've got a Headphile-modified Lambda Pro that doesn't do too well compared against the HE60. The HE60+KGSS is very clear, fast and detailed.

Elephas as well, how do you perceive the HE60 in comparison with your other top-level headphones? :angel:

Amazing how exactly? It doesn't matter what I use to drive these phones, the character is always the same. From the SRM-Xh up to the BH and the HE60 smokes every one of the Lambdas, even my favorite open SR-Lambda.

The Lambda had a better, cleaner, and more realistic midrange than the HE60. The treble was more detailed. The bass was the most noticable of all though. The bass was lacking and loose with the HE60 compared to the Lambda. The one area that I liked better about the HE60 was its had a smoother presentation compared to the Lambda. Of all the phones we listened to the Lambda were the most aggressive.

I really like the HE60s and have owned them in the past. But they (IMO with system I heard) are not close to the HE90 or the Lambda or the R10/SDS system we used. The Lambdas were sounding good last night and were running with fast company.

HE90/HEV90

R10/SDS

He60/ES-1

HE90/ES-1